JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK community, a friend of my daughter is looking for his first AR pattern rifle. He is only 18, therefore he cannot purchase a stripped lower to do an AR build, so he has chosen to buy a full rifle, and customize it piecemeal as funds allow.

What's the best budget carbine length AR out there right now?

Even lowers with a rifle stock attached are sold as "receiver," and are therefore 21+. Check PSA's website for age restrictions. It's dumb, but the ATF outlined it that way.

I vote Saint. It comes with BCM furniture, and is no nonsense out of the box. Add optics, forward grip; keep it trim. No wasted cash.

Thanks for the correction;)

I'd say the Rugers are very well priced for the amount of gun you get. The AR556 regularly can be found on sale for $400-$500. The slight upgraded one can be found for $500-600. Only real negative is they use non protected bolt carriers, not a huge deal breaker, but kind of a backwards move considering the industry standard seems to be a full auto carrier.

PSA is in my opinion, the gold standard of "best budget AR"

The sales can allow someone to get a basic AR for under $400, and spending a little more money can significantly increase the value of the components.

My preferred PSA AR15 products are the STR magpul lower, on a LW free floated full length flattop pic rail in mlok.

Primary arms is a great place for LPVO though, I highly recommend the 1-6 or 1-8 offerings.

American,

Fair enough.

I was relying on various text reviews, but don't know more than that.

Now I'll look at the videos which I didn't know existed.

Thanks for the heads up!

Did a quick look at Full30.com videos and so far it's all good, but videos aren't proof....nothing beats word of mouth or your own experience.

At this point, I don't know anyone who owns one.

My AR's are Colt, but I paid dearly for them.

I sure have enjoyed my S&W M&P 15 Sport (original slick side, 1 in 8" twist 5R barrel). My son had a Sport II, which also has functioned well, just not quite as accurate as my original. The only drawback is the carbine length gas system, it tends to throw fired cases forward of the firing line at the range. Much prefer the rifle length gas systems in my other AR's.

The M&p sport 2 is a good choice, savage msr patrol is a good choice, saint is a good choice but a little more spendy, psa rifles are good. But I would suggest an Aero precision xc15 carbine or the OEM model from brownells. The oem comes with no furniture so you can add your own so the price is a bit lower and it's a phenomenal rifle. The savage patrol is a great rifle as it has a 1:8 twist barrel and a 223 Wylde chambering. I have the recon model which is similar just upgraded to a free float rail, nicer trigger and different stock. Be cautious with the Ruger ar556 as my step dad has one and he has had a lot of failure to fire malfunctions and we got lucky and had a failure to fire on what would have been an out of battery discharge.

if youre going for low cost, a lifetime warranty and a 1 MOA guarantee(16" barrel and longer with match ammo)look at bear creek arsenal.

i have a 6.5 grendel barrel from there that shoots great

Thank you for all your replies everyone, but unfortunately he seems fixated on getting an Aero Precision complete rifle that's going to cost him nearly a thousand dollars. I'm done attempting to advise him.

Thank you for all your replies everyone, but unfortunately he seems fixated on getting an Aero Precision complete rifle that's going to cost him nearly a thousand dollars. I'm done attempting to advise him.
Not cheap, but it's a great rifle to start with! Heck, it will be a great rifle for the rest of his life!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top