JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this is the right place for this.

In terms of bulk .22lr ammo, what brand is the most consistent? What have your experiences been? My forgone conclusion is that CCI is probably the best, but I'm talking about the ~500 rnd bulk boxes.

I have good luck with the Federal blue box 500 packs. I just saw that Bi-Mart has them on sale for $15.97 right now, maybe I'll go and pick up a couple of boxes before the're all gone....:s0131:

In terms of bulk .22lr ammo, what brand is the most consistent? What have your experiences been? My forgone conclusion is that CCI is probably the best, but I'm talking about the ~500 rnd bulk boxes.

Boomerang, when you ask about consistent, it could have two meanings:

1. It consistently cycles and fires in my personal weapon.

2. It consistently hits where I aim when I fire it in my personal weapon.

Both of these really depend on your personal weapon. The only way to find the answer is to test a batch of .22 ammo and find out if number 1 is affirmative, if it is, then is number 2 also affirmative?. If both pass, then buy tons of that bulk for your weapon. Any other method of guessing or asking what works for others will likely result in disappointment for you.

Myself I have mostly shot the 550 bulk packs of Federal that you get at Walmart. Started buying them when they were $8.88/box. I can not tell you how many 10's of thousands of rounds I have shot. I would guess close to 100k.

My favorite for plinking and reliable feeding and accuracy is CCI Blazer. For shooting gophers I like the Federal bulk with the hollow point. I have to admit though, the Winchester DynaPoint ammo is the most accurate in my S&W MP 15-22, even though it is slower than most .22 LR ammo.

Federal champion 525 pack. Mostly what you see are 22 Speed Steel matches. Have found that keeping my 10/22 really clean keeps jams to a minimum. I clean the bolt face and around ejector after evert match. I can't afford Jams in speed steel.

Federal champion 525 pack RED box. I have found that the Red box Federals work better for me than the Blue box.
I prefer copper or at least copper plated bullets in my .22s as I don't find they lead foul my stainless barrels as often as regular lead bullets.

Federal automatch 325 rnds from Walmart for ~ $13.50, a little more expensive than the regular Federal 500 or 525 rnd boxes, but very reliable and consistent, out of about 3000 rnds, maybe 2 failure to fires, strangely in a bolt action rifle.

out of curiosity,I recenly picked up some Remington Cyclones,and I REALLY like them.so far ,no problems of any kind in 3 autoloaders.
I have not checked for accuracy yet,but 'minute of steel plate' isn't really an accuracy test..except for me. lol
I also like Blazers a lot.

I have two 10-22's with aluma lite barrels, cyclones are the favorite bullet for one while the other seems to like the winchester wildcats. 22's are really bad about one bullet working better than another in a particular rifle, at least in the cheaper ammo.

I like the federal hp's in the 525 pack. My S&W AR .22 shoots them the best and my marlin 60 shoots them better than my 10/22's at a 100 yards but they all do pretty dang good with them 25-60 yards... I just did a "test" myself with two kinds of federals plated hp and lead round nose, blazers, Winchester white box and mini mags. They all did good at 25. They started sorting themselves out at 60 and at a hundred the mini mags were definitely the top of the pack. As far as bulk stuff goes the plated fed hp did the best over all out of 5 .22's. 2-10/22's, marlin 60, S&W AR-22 and an old wards western field from the 1930's. One of the 10/22s shot noticeably better with the blazers at 100 yards. I kind of disregarded the results of the westernfield after 25 yards... We shot 3, 5 shot groups out of each gun at each distance... Not much of a test but it was fun...

Buy the little boxes first to see what your rifle likes best. I have gone from a 3-5 in pattern to a sub moa depending on the ammo.
My 10 22 shoots the blazer bricks very nicely. Don't seem to have any light loads either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top