JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or how about the fact that the entire case was based on a $200 tax stamp, or lack thereof?

^. Exactly. (When a build warrants a shorty, I've filed the paperwork, paid the stupid tax, supplied the necessary paperwork, complied with the regulations, and then went to business after approval. The law is most certainly outdated, totally ineffective at preventing crime, and otherwise brainless, but it is, alas, the present reality. And two C-Notes is very reasonable indeed compared to attorney fees.)

Let's get this thread back on track...
Here's my contribution M92 with an SBA3 and a newly installed ALG trigger.:s0007:
20181104_073253.jpg 20181104_073320.jpg 20181104_073331.jpg

Wow this thread is an interesting read! Forgetting about the modification part for a minute, Looking at the guy's "brace" in the photos above, I don't see the split and Velcro strap so it can be used on the arm.

Isn't the one he has on there actually a 'stock" that is meant for a rifle? On maxim website they call the split one with strap a pistol brace and the one that isn't split a stock (see pics below). By the letter of the law there is a big difference between "sig braces" that are allowed on pistols vs stocks which are not. I mean I thought that the split and strap (which lets it be mounted to your forearm) are critical in making it a legal pistol "sig brace". Am I off track here?

Here is the maxim cqb pistol brace (note the split and strap)

6F98DCA0-70CE-43DE-91BF-253EDB98DAD2.jpeg

And here is the maxim cqb stock

BC740C7A-F0A9-4BC7-80D3-5D7BB3E23CAD.jpeg

Last Edited:
Wow this thread is an interesting read! Forgetting about the modification part for a minute, Looking at the guy's "brace" in the photos above, I don't see the split and Velcro strap so it can be used on the arm.

Isn't the one he has on there actually a 'stock" that is meant for a rifle? On maxim website they call the split one with strap a pistol brace and the one that isn't split a stock (see pics below). By the letter of the law there is a big difference between "sig braces" that are allowed on pistols vs stocks which are not. Am I off track here?

Here is the maxim cqb pistol brace (note the split and strap)

View attachment 514979

And here is the maxim cqb stock

View attachment 514977
Actually, its neither. if you'd look at the pictures again, you'll see he does indeed have a CQB thing, but it its not a brace nor a stock, its a cheek rest.
like so
CQB-Pistol-Black.jpg

Look at post #24 for the two pictures of the Maxim CQB cheek rest.

another example would be what we saw on Olympic Arms' AR pistols, the padded buffer tube.
full-k23p_1.jpg

Actually, its neither. if you'd look at the pictures again, you'll see he does indeed have a CQB thing, but it its not a brace nor a stock, its a cheek rest.
like so
View attachment 514994

Look at post #24 for the two pictures of the Maxim CQB cheek rest.

another example would be what we saw on Olympic Arms' AR pistols, the padded buffer tube.
View attachment 514995
Ok I'm following now. Thanks for clearing that up! So maybe that is one reason they singled out this guy's gun. It's not a sig brace, which atf said is legal, but it's a modified cheek rest which atf apparently says changes it's use to a rifle. What crazy stuff! Totally reminds me of that atf guy several years ago that impounded crates of toy guns, saying they could be turned into machine guns.

Last Edited:
I think a preemptive lawsuit against the ATF for declaratory judgement to permanently and clearly decide what constitutes a rifle and pistol would be a great idea. I think a well-worded legal opinion by a set of federal judges would be much easier to follow than whatever the ATF is in the mood for on any given day. Crowdfunding anyone?

I think a preemptive lawsuit against the ATF for declaratory judgement to permanently and clearly decide what constitutes a rifle and pistol would be a great idea. I think a well-worded legal opinion by a set of federal judges would be much easier to follow than whatever the ATF is in the mood for on any given day. Crowdfunding anyone?
1) rifles are defined as any firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, with a rifled barrel,(excluding the rifled slug barrels on shotguns) and barrel (s) with length of 16" or greater.
2) a pistol is defined as any firearm with a rifled barrel, designed to be fired from one hand (where wrist braces assists) and an OAL under 26" , with a barrel less than 16".

3) any firearms excluding "shotguns" not corresponding to the above are either "simply firearms"(no shoulder stock, longer than 26" OAL) or "SBR"; (under 16" barrel, shoulder stock). This includes the class of pistol grip only shotguns that has under 18" barrels, because they were not manufactured as "shotguns", but if it were made from "shotgun" it becomes SBS :rolleyes:

What I, and many others would like to see.. is a rejection of the 16/18" barrel requirement for rifles and shotguns and the elimination of the NFA tax stamps for SBR and SBS.
Ideally it would simplify the definition to
1) shoulder stock=rifle or shotgun, no minimum barrel lengthes.
2) no shoulder stock= firearm or pistol, again, no minimum length requirements, maximum lengths allowed as difference between "easily concealed" and "firearm"

So the SB Tactical SBA3 has to be hands down the best Pistol Arm Brace on the market for just about any platform...

However...

I just found leaked photos of an AK that show what I'm going to call the "best brace" thus far.

It seriously makes me want to purchase an AK pistol in 7.62x39mm now.

View attachment 513588
View attachment 513589
Getting back to the original Q in this thread. Imo the folding capability far, far, outweighs the particulars of the brace itself.

For ARs this typically means a law folding adapter or similar (pretty spendy but it's a more complex design of course dealing with the buffer). Dead air armament and sylvan systems? (Can't remember if those are exact names) I have heard conflicting opinions on. I haven't used them myself. I keep hearing good things about the law adapter fwiw.

For non AR like sig mpx etc, scorpian, others that have no buffer tube there are lots of adapters available including sig saur at $75ish, utg at $14-$18, Ace at $50-$75ish.

For me the folding capability makes a night and day difference in the handling/carrying/storing of the gun (I usually shoot with brace unfolded so not an issue there).

An example of a sig folding adapter on a 22lr hk clone is shown below. Sig adapter lockup is excellent and tight (zero slop). UTG is somewhat sloppy but certainly functional. Utg is similar to butler creek folders for shotguns etc (utg maybe a bit sloppier even). The sig adapter attaches to a piece of pic rail so u can get a little piece of metal pic rail and drill it to attach to most any non-buffer gun. The utg needs some modification to fit guns it wasn't designed for (videos of this are on YouTube).

In most cases imo it's better to pay a little more and get a more solid lockup adapter than the UTG. But the utg works fine for budget minded willing to do a little work and live with a little slop. Haven't used Ace myself so can't speak to those.
02D208A9-5A44-452B-9C20-2C363F9CABAB.jpeg
E3FD2461-BFCB-4F8D-932D-313C38616E5E.jpeg

Last Edited:
Ya, I totally wish there were more options out there to make things fold.

I've got a M85 that would love a folding pistol brace.

Ya, I totally wish there were more options out there to make things fold.

I've got a M85 that would love a folding pistol brace.
Maybe checkout Ace at ACE Products - Parts & Accessories
If u haven't yet cuz they have quite a few options. I can't speak to quality or tightness of lockup though cuz I haven't used them. If you can attach a piece of pic rail to the back of the m85 then the sig adapter is a possibility. I can't say enough good about the sig folding adapter in terms of quality and feel.

Being we built our AR pistols for wee woman folk, they both have blades on them, for lightness.
If I were to make one for me, I would use the "tailhook" brace.
Much better for us full size folk.

Quality does look good from pic (fwiw). Sb tactical of course knows there way around pistol braces. This is the same type of adapter I used for a m4 22lr clone (I used utg which is sloppy/cheap compared to that Sb adapter). Here is how I mounted it on that one just as an example. A few notes: a) don't forget blue loctite on screws to counter vibration, b) drilling 2 attachment screw holes instead of one prevents the folding adapter from rotating on the gun, c) may not need to cut off central tube depending on application and adapter and desired brace/gun length d) may be able to use existing adapter holes for attachment depending on adapter and application.
89C3AADA-9817-497A-97DA-072AF47A4623.jpeg

Last Edited:
Quality does look good from pic (fwiw). Sb tactical of course knows there way around pistol braces. This is the same type of adapter I used for a m4 22lr clone (I used utg which is sloppy/cheap compared to that Sb adapter). Here is how I mounted it on that one just as an example. A few notes: a) don't forget blue loctite on screws to counter vibration, b) drilling 2 attachment screw holes instead of one prevents the folding adapter from rotating on the gun, c) may not need to cut off central tube depending on application and adapter and desired brace/gun length d) may be able to use existing adapter holes for attachment depending on adapter and application.
View attachment 517489

FYI here is what the UTG looks like (bottom rifle). I still need to attach some kind of cosmetic cover/bushing between the folding adapter and the gun similar to the pistol on top.

A0271876-BC52-45FB-933F-80A577F6659F.jpeg
77857CAD-E2FC-420A-8A6B-111735E3F941.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top