JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This question may be in the wrong place or answered somewhere else:confused:, if it is im sorry and please point me in the right direction.:D i did a quick google search for a basic firearm class that would satisfy the Oregon CHL requirements. I have only been able to find one real option and that is a class at Oregon firearms academy. I would like to know if anybody has any other recommendations for a basic firearm class?

How do you mean by "best"?

Best as in informative? Best as in easy? Best as in inexpensive?

I did my time at Mt Hood Community College. It was $35 and relatively dull. I didn't really learn anything that wasn't common sense.

But I have seen signs posted for classes at keith's Gun shop as well as the Multnomah Co Sheriff's office. The prices ranged from $35-$40 (I don't remember which was how much exactly).

My wife and I took a CHL class offered through the Gun Broker store in Tigard. It was taught by a retired Police Officer who was also an NRA certified instructor. If I remember correctly, they offer the class at the store on 99 once a month on a Thursday evening. It lasts about 3 hours or so and was quite informative, and I think it was $25 or maybe $35 - sorry I can't remember the exact amount. So if you're interested, give them a call to find out when the next class is.

Just so you know, this is a very basic class that qualifies you for the CHL here in Oregon. I do highly recommend classes offered by the OFA if you are serious about carrying concealed They are the very best!

I like this guy.. He tells it like it is. About 20% of his students do not go ahead and get their permit because he has explained the pros and cons and liabilities in real life terms good enough that they don't want the responsibility of packing a handgun. It's not for everyone who takes a class..
<broken link removed>

I tool the NRA Basic Pistol Class at Johnson Creek Gun Club with my brother when I was like 14 or 15. It was a really good class, tool all day. You actually got to shoot though. I got to shoot all kinds of different guns there and we got to stay as long as we wanted after words and use the range. I took it with my brother, Joey. I think it was like 150 for the class. Just from that one day my shooting improved really well. They had like four guys helping out too, so it was kinda one on one if they saw you having problems. Great class!

I took the same class with <broken link removed> , it was a good class, informative and relatively inexpensive. Several months later and with my permit went down to OFA for their class which was more expensive, and I had a 45 minute drive BUT was a Very, Very good class to include range time, (which I feel should be a requirement). The OFA class is also a requirement for future classes, Defensive Handgun and Carbine

I like this guy.. He tells it like it is. About 20% of his students do not go ahead and get their permit because he has explained the pros and cons and liabilities in real life terms good enough that they don't want the responsibility of packing a handgun. It's not for everyone who takes a class..
<broken link removed>

+1 on Jim...:s0155:

My wife and I took a CHL class offered through the Gun Broker store in Tigard.
This would be a convenient option for me. And I need to find more reasons to pop in, there.

I like this guy.. He tells it like it is. About 20% of his students do not go ahead and get their permit
<broken link removed>
I'm not sure I'm hot to go walking around with a gun in my back pocket, but kinda' like the idea of the CHL as it simplifies some aspects of transporting.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

I tried to find the phone number for the guy that runs the IPSC training at TCGC. I'm pretty sure I saw it in the paper newsletter they send out, but I don't find it on the club website.

That sounds like it would cover the content required for the CHL, but I'm not sure of the other details (class must be taught by NRA-certified instructor or...) and I'm not sure if I need some sort of credential to take to the county sheriff that might or might not be granted after the class. (I suppose I'd have the IPSC sticker on my club badge.)

Someone remarked that the class they'd been to was little more than 'common sense' instruction. This IPSC certification sounds like it would cover all sorts of practical instruction and practice, and it's free to TCGC members. ($30 for others.)

MrB

alrighty then, i have a class set up at the Oregon Firearms Academy for a basic handgun safty course on 2/21. Thanx for all the input guys. I think OFA will have the most info for me and a better environment in which to actually learn and not just go through the motions. Not to mention i actually get to SHOOT!:s0155:

Eagle Adam,

Thanks for trusting OFA for your first, and critically important, basic level course. I hope we don't disappoint you!

I and several other staff frequent this forum as a resource if you have any questions or issues.

Also our team is only a phone call away too. So please call the Office if you need anything! 541-451-5532.

We are humbled and honored you've chosen to train with us! See you on the campus in Feb.

Dan

Good choice. Just taking the two or three hour basic course to qualify for your CHL leaves much to be desired. You will actually gain some valuable knowledge from the more indepth OFA class. You will be better off in the long run.

does anybody know how to expedite the process of getting a CHL through the sherrifs office? Can i go in early and get everything set up? should i set up an appointment? Please help im a little bit lost. I understand what needs to be done but i wanna do what i can ahead of time. Thanx in advance

<broken link removed>

I've taken the Oregon class from him and also the Utah class. In both cases, he was top-notch, professional all the way, and is helpful after the fact, should you need it. In addition, he provides a guarantee that if you ever want to take one of his classes again that you've already paid for as a refresher, you are welcome back at no charge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top