JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

You just described any barrel shooting lead bullets.

ALL lead bullets cause leading. Some more than others. In ANY barrel with ANY rifling.

Glock sold primarily to police starting out. To avoid liability of a known issue among American lead projectiles (unknown bullets made from various leads), they chose to insert that bit into their manual to prevent having to warrant someone blowing up their gun because they don't understand lead bullets.

Has NOTHING to do with whether or not lead bullets work in their barrels.

I've seen and read dozens of 'credible' sources saying excess buildup due the rifling in Glock factory barrels, Glock says avoid lead bullets. You're the only one I've ever heard of saying it's because Glock is afraid of unsafe lead reloads.

I think you made that up. Whether you did or didn't, I don't believe it.

From The High Road "As lead builds up in the (Glock) poly rifling it causes higher and higher pressure when each additional round is fired. With Glocks its really a bad deal because the lead can build up to the point where the pistol dosen't go into battery completely and the next thing you know... there is another KA BOOM"
You can lead up any kind of barrel.

The Gen 5 is supposed to shoot it just fine. The Gen 1-4 is not supposed to but I never tried. Never had a desire to shoot the lead ones anyway.
I might get pictures next time I shoot lead to show. My gen 5 G34 does NOT do lead. One mag and it's ugly but my gen 4 G19 doesn't seem to care, nor does my gen 4 G21. I'm going to chalk it up to velocity without better proof but I think it just depends on the specific barrel and lead that goes through it. I only use glock brand glock stuff in my glocks because they work darn it.

A burn barrel...

Get yourself one of these:
1618390255208.png

Lighten up Francis, it's a joke. We all need a little levity these days.

I might get pictures next time I shoot lead to show. My gen 5 G34 does NOT do lead. One mag and it's ugly but my gen 4 G19 doesn't seem to care, nor does my gen 4 G21. I'm going to chalk it up to velocity without better proof but I think it just depends on the specific barrel and lead that goes through it. I only use glock brand glock stuff in my glocks because they work darn it.
I think lead (even soft lead) starts failing around 1800fps+ so youd REALLY have to be smoking 'em out of there.
I know gas checks make a massive difference. But im no expert on lead and cadting thats for sure. But i would like to slowly start getting into it. I have a few slug molds i need to start using.

Its pretty interesting you say theres a obvious difference from gen to gen. Im VERY interested to see pics if and when you do.
That would be great info.

I have 2 Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrels , no issues with them. I have a Storm Lake 10mm barrel , no issues. Both brands are more accurate than I am capable of shooting. I have shot a lot of hard cast lead out of my stock G23 barrel with no Kaboom's. Regular maintenance assures lead build up will not be a problem.

Last Edited:
I've seen and read dozens of 'credible' sources saying excess buildup due the rifling in Glock factory barrels, Glock says avoid lead bullets. You're the only one I've ever heard of saying it's because Glock is afraid of unsafe lead reloads.

I think you made that up. Whether you did or didn't, I don't believe it.
Internet wins again...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top