JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not looking for some tactical gamer monstrosity, no pistol grip or Magpul FDE furniture, just a fairly standard looking pump with a shorter barrel and maybe an extended mag.

It's not a monstrosity; it's the perfect HD gun...

My Weatherby PA-459 was around $300 at Sportsman's Warehouse in 2013. I camouflaged it and added a turkey choke so it's a turkey-killing machine and sits by the front door.

gDh-U5G0IF1JKxp2UYV_js7nJdff0iTY2nAw1kA6XZYpX92IB.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

Looks like Weatherby has discontinued this shotgun. Bought mine in 2014 and have never had an issue with it. Love the sights and it shoulders nicely. Couldn't find any aftermarket support for it, though. Wanted an extended tube.

Just tried searching again, 6 years later, for an extended tube and nothing. Found an article from 2014 that said Weatherby came out with another version of the gun with a factory extended tube.

Went to their website and they no longer even list the PA-459 as a production gun. No Bueno...

Last Edited:
A simple pump.
If you don't like the pattern, Vang Comp will jug choke the forcing cone and if you want one ,a port job. The jug choke will make RIO buck shot pattern like Federal Flightcontrol . Also train with that thing untill you shuck it with authority without fail, the pump shotgun will only be as good as its shell shucking, bad technique will stop the gun in its tracks
I had this 500 barrel done by VC and its a Cylinder choke that patterns like a Modified choke, also has a Hogue 12" lop stock, makes it super handy compared to the standard 14+" LOP
IMG_1322.JPG

I like the Mossbergs or Remingtons. Get one with a picatinny rail and rifle sights. I have the Wilson Combat Border Patrol model based on a 870. They will upgrade a beater gun to this standard and it is a value. I have had mine since 2004 paid $850 I think.

A good source for older pumps is Outdoor Superstore. They have police trade-ins that are the old tried and true. I was hitting one gallon milk jugs with a slug at 110 yards. I doubt I could do it again. My shoulder is only good for 15 rounds.

The new Mossberg Retrograde shotgun just might be perfect for those that want a shotgun set up for home defense from the factory without a pistol grip or composite stock...

1AZkQt3QgegxDkYWEsXg.jpg

Just looked up the street price of the Mossberg and got sticker shot. Bud's Guns selling them for $678!! For a Mossberg pump??

For the regular synthetic stock, it is only $409.

I really like the look of the Mossberg "Retro" line of shotguns...but yeah suggested retail and real world pricing , both , seem a bit much....
Sticker shock for a walnut or hardwood stock has lots of "Ouch" factor today for sure...
Andy

Mine is a Youth Model 870 20ga 3" chamber 20" got a mag ext. for 7+1.
Wife actually likes to shoot it and has asked for more range time!
She shoots it off the hip only.
Couldn't be better, looks tough also.
I use the Federal Prairie Storm I think. Have some slugs I could mix in about number 3 or 4 in line then probably Number 2 or 4 copper plate for the next three.

I really like the look of the Mossberg "Retro" line of shotguns...but yeah suggested retail and real world pricing , both , seem a bit much....
Sticker shock for a walnut or hardwood stock has lots of "Ouch" factor today for sure...
Andy
It's all about the limited supply of walnut nowadays due to those crazy flintlock/black powder types using up all the trees on those boat oar stocks..........:p

I'd still buy a Mossberg 590 over an 870.

I've owned both and like both, if I was buying new today I'd agree with you 100%. That said, my only current shotgun is an 870P. The trick was making it as ambidextrous as a Mossberg. I ended up putting on a Speedfeed IV-S stock and Vang Comp Dome Safety, the combination of a small near vertical pistol grip and over-sized button allowed me to swipe off the safety with my left thumb while still offering the traditional right handed operation.

I vote for the The H&R Pardner Pump Protector as ATCclears says.

I just bought the 20 gauge version on sale for $99.00.

These are not great quality but they work well. They are kind of the ultimate truck gun because right out of the box, you are not going to have to baby it and be afraid of getting it scratched or beat up.

I am going to modify mine into the home defense tactical look with a muzzle break, sights, a light/laser and a knoxx type stock.

I also own a mossberg 500 and like it. If money is super tight maybe go for the H&R. If you value better quality and have a bit of coin go for a mossberg 500 or remington 870. Plenty of good used ones out there or even new, they are not too expensive.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads