JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
During an email discussion with another forum member, I came to the conclusion that I really should have a HD shotgun. Not looking for some tactical gamer monstrosity, no pistol grip or Magpul FDE furniture, just a fairly standard looking pump with a shorter barrel and maybe an extended mag. I was a big fan of the Remington 870 back in the day, but I'm assuming that like all other things Remington, their shotguns have declined over the years. I kind of like the looks, features, especially the ghost ring sights, and price of the Benelli Nova Tactical, but I know nothing about them, other than a little internet research which showed limited, but generally good, reviews. Note that price is an important factor here, this will be a dedicated HD weapon, so it'll hopefully never be used for its intended purpose, but I need to trust that it will work if I do need it, so reliability trumps price if necessary. Thanks.

Dave

There are plenty of Police trade in 870s around that can be had for around 300 or so.

Most are still in great condition internally, while the outside might not look the best due to mounting rack and general handling wear.

You can't go too wrong with a Mossberg 500 or a 590. If you don't like the ambidextrous tang safety, you can get a Mossberg Maverick which is basically a M500 but with a trigger-group cross-bolt safety like the Remington 870.

My first shotgun was a Mossberg Maverick 88. It has the 5+1 capacity tube but they do make a longer tube as well. Super reliable and I have put over 1000 rounds though it too.

As pointed out by Cerberus Group...
If you look around you can find a good deal on used 870's made before the quality control issues.
Although I traded for mine...it had a price of $300 at a local gun show , a few months back.
It is as issued from the factory , a 870 Wingmaster from 1981 , 12 gauge with a 18 inch barrel and Improved Cylinder choke...it shoots real well , with anything I have shot with it , so far...
#8 and #7 1/2 birdshot
#6 Birdshot
#4 Birdshot
#4 Buckshot
00 Buckshot
All from various makers and all were 2 3/4 inch shells ( What my 870 is chambered in )
It seems to pattern nicely out to 25 -30 yards...I need to try some slugs , just to see how it does with those.

Also as pointed out the Mossberg 88 and 500 / 590 series of shotguns are very good too.
Andy
DSC06837.jpg

I think the bennelli nova is a good but heavy HD. It also will swallow 3.5" shells. I have never had a problem with mine. If a 3.5" 00 doesnt clear the hallway I am not sure what you need.

I think the bennelli nova is a good but heavy HD. It also will swallow 3.5" shells. I have never had a problem with mine. If a 3.5" 00 doesnt clear the hallway I am not sure what you need.

I guess it is the owners choice of what length 00 buckshot you use. I only use 2 3/4" for HD.

There are plenty of Police trade in 870s around that can be had for around 300 or so.

Most are still in great condition internally, while the outside might not look the best due to mounting rack and general handling wear.

That's what I bought and use as a HD, hiking shotgun.

Even my newer express magnum 870 I would trust my life to, I just wouldn't want to go to war with it.

The trigger guard is really the only plastic I can tell but like was said, you can find plenty of used older 870's that will last a few lifetimes for $300 or less.

As pointed out by Cerberus Group...
If you look around you can find a good deal on used 870's made before the quality control issues.
Although I traded for mine...it had a price of $300 at a local gun show , a few months back.
It is as issued from the factory , a 870 Wingmaster from 1981 , 12 gauge with a 18 inch barrel and Improved Cylinder choke...it shoots real well , with anything I have shot with it , so far...
#8 and #7 1/2 birdshot
#6 Birdshot
#4 Birdshot
#4 Buckshot
00 Buckshot
All from various makers and all were 2 3/4 inch shells ( What my 870 is chambered in )
It seems to pattern nicely out to 25 -30 yards...I need to try some slugs , just to see how it does with those.

Also as pointed out the Mossberg 88 and 500 / 590 series of shotguns are very good too.
Andy
View attachment 539816

Mines a monster with slugs (smoothbore);)

IMG_1930.JPG

I imagine so....but I gotta try some , just 'cause....:D
Mostly I plan on using mine for those things that go bump in the night / camp defense , close range grouse / small game and just as an all round fun gun....:D
Andy

Often at a gun show you can find a "Home Gunsmithed" bird gun that has had its barrel badly shortened...
With a weekend's worth of elbow grease , you can fix up a gun into a inexpensive truck / home defense gun.

Granted you gotta know what you are actually looking at , while at the show and know your way around tools and a tool bench to do this....
Andy

I'll parrot the 870 or 500/590. Both are dead nuts reliable and have huge aftermarket support.
Whichever you get, practice, practice, practice.
You can and will short stroke a pump gun. Loading a tube mag under stress sucks ballz.

Check your local pawn shops for a 12ga that will work for you. You can always pick up a new Mossberg Maverick for under $200 at WalMart.
The best home defense ammo for your 12ga is the Federal #1 Buckshot (15 pellets) with Flite-Control-Wad. It is not cheap but very effective! At 10-15 feet it hits like a slug then fragments into 15 pellets. Totally awesome.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top