JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's hear what you gotta say! Ar500, ceramic, polyethylene

Rifle threats? Ceramic.

Handgun threats? Kevlar or PHMWPE. With the latter I'd probably still use a kevlar backer or trauma pad just in case.

Hard plates should be multi-curve for comfort.

Steel plates are affordable but trash for professional use. Body armor is already uncomfortable, I don't want to lug around 16+ lbs and die from spalling or backface deformation when I could be hauling around 7 lbs and survive the impact.

As an aside, some of the Special Operations guys would run only one SAPI/ESAPI plate on their rigs... because to them, mobility and speed was more important than being fully armored. On the other hand we have Humvee gunners with torso armor, shoulder armor, neck armor and helmets as well as armor plates welded to the gun mount rings,because they were quite exposed to roof gunfire

As a paramedic in Portland, a lot of guys I work with wear external Safe Life Defense 3A+ all day every day and don't mind it from a comfort/wearability standpoint. I don't wear body armor cause I'm poor but if I could afford it I would wear the same set up. They are lightweight (around 8 pounds), easy to don and doff, and feel pretty natural to wear.

I bought steel first, then did more research, anded up at the thread below, and bought multicurve ceramic level 4. Thinking ahead, m855A1 will probably be common someday, and chews right through steel armor from the tests I have seen.

Also, "multi hit" even ceramic armor can take a few hits. You could always swap your front and back plates after the fight if needed.

NIJ.06 certification requires drop tests, and extra padding around the armor to keep it durable.

I bought steel first, then did more research, anded up at the thread below, and bought multicurve ceramic level 4. Thinking ahead, m855A1 will probably be common someday, and chews right through steel armor from the tests I have seen.

Also, "multi hit" even ceramic armor can take a few hits. You could always swap your front and back plates after the fight if needed.

NIJ.06 certification requires drop tests, and extra padding around the armor to keep it durable.

Exactly why I haven't bought steel armor :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads