JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm putting into motion my 2nd AR 15. No need to go into details about my 1st rifle. What I'm looking for is, what, in your opinion is the best "brand" ?

I would like the upper and lower to be from the same manufacturer. Something like, Bravo Company or Wilson Combat for example.

From there I can add the rest. Like BUIS, BCG, LPK and so forth and so on. . .

I know that I may be opening up a HUGE "can of worms" here, but this is going to be my most coveted "safe queen".

So any help pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that this rifle will be a 6.8 caliber. :s0114:

as far as one brand of stripped recievers being better than the other, IMHO it's all marketing BS. they are all built to the same pattern. Thats what makes the platform great. I have had fantastic luck with Aero precision, built a number (6) rifles and pistols using them, no complaints, fit and finish is superb. I use the DPMS LPK and perform a trigger job, still a little creep but OK for me, beats the **** out of spending $100-$200 for a fancy set up.

Mega machine turns out some nice matched billet uppers/lowers so the fit is superb. Also think the roll mark is one of the better looking ones. Plus they are local so it's always nice supporting the NW economy

+1 on the Mega's I have had a few and they have all been great. Just get the matching upper and you should be gtg. Aero Precision/surplus ammo and arms lowers are great for the price. Other than that pretty much everyone with a recognizable name is putting out a decent lower. Now LPK's and BCG's are where you need to pay more attention. If you are going for super safe queen, then pay the money for the name on the side of the lower/upper. LMT, Noveske, or one of the other big names. Yeah, you are just wasting money on the name for the most part, but to some it adds value to the end product making it more desirable.

Refer to this chart: <broken link removed>
It will give you information on all the things you should look for in a top tier AR-15. It is out of date a bit and doesn't include every manufacturer, so you'll have to call the manufacturers individually and see if they do them. In a nutshell what you are looking for is:
1) individual HPT and MPI of every single bolt and barrel
2) 4150/B-11595E steel (or better) barrel with chrome-lined bore (unless you want a stainless barrel)
3) barrel finish before gas block installation
4) shot peened bolt
5) pinned gas block, no clamps or set screws
6) properly staked gas key (very important)
The other things are nice to have but these are what I consider necessary for an AR-15 to be top or god tier.

God Tier: the pseudo-custom and custom shops. They will go bang every time and look gorgeous while doing it.
Noveske
KAC
LaRue (? haven't used personally)
other custom shops?

Top Tier: the best mass manufacturers. They will go bang every time.
Colt
Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
LMT
Spike's (? old ones were mid tier, supposedly now they do all the top tier testing though)

Considering you want 6.8 I would definitely recommend Noveske.

There are several excellent manufacturers out there as Spengo mentioned but not all of them are putting out 6.8s. You could also go with something like an LMT MRP in 6.8.

I would consider Noveske and LMT as the cream of the crop in 6.8s and I would choose the Noveske hands down given the excellent barrel and overall quality (and the fact that Noveske is local and has awesome customer service).

I have a Wilson Combat 6.8 that I am extremely safisfied with. There are several other manufacturers that get very good reviews including Noveske, Bison Armory and ARPerformance. If you want information on 6.8's, visit 68forums dot com where you are sure to find a wealth of information.

Considering you want 6.8 I would definitely recommend Noveske.

There are several excellent manufacturers out there as Spengo mentioned but not all of them are putting out 6.8s. You could also go with something like an LMT MRP in 6.8.

I would consider Noveske and LMT as the cream of the crop in 6.8s and I would choose the Noveske hands down given the excellent barrel and overall quality (and the fact that Noveske is local and has awesome customer service).

Oh right 6.8SPC. Yeah that's a neato cartridge, I've been thinking of going with one of the neato cartridges for the next AR-15 I assemble. Not 6.8SPC, but .300 BLK for me. I like quiet. :)

Anyway, 2nding Noveske. His rifles are beautiful and insanely accurate.

I'm going to outside the norm on this one. I build all my lowers using Quentin Defense lowers. No roll pins (winter guard and bolt catch screw), no sear block, low shelf, no selectir stops, upper tension screw, and damn nice fit and finish. I can't prize them enough. They're also only $155. I dint see the value in a traditional lower with a fancy name on it. If I spending $150+ for a lower I want something more than a name brand thing. A nice adjustable trigger may be good, depending on your preferences. Beyond that, the only other preference I have with regards to lowers is a milspec tube, slightly heavier buffer, and the mako shock stock. The stock is very nice on full auto or larger calibers, especially 12 gauge.

For upper items, M4 cuts, FA bolt (get a specialized coating if you're into that), barrels I like white oak, hanguard either apex machine or jp/vtac (not a quad rail fan), and I always use an adjustable gas block like the noveske switchblock for suppressed shooting. A mako Grip pod gen 2 is actually pretty nice combination of both worlds.

I'm going to outside the norm on this one. I build all my lowers using Quentin Defense lowers. No roll pins (winter guard and bolt catch screw), no sear block, low shelf, no selectir stops, upper tension screw, and damn nice fit and finish. I can't prize them enough. They're also only $155. I dint see the value in a traditional lower with a fancy name on it. If I spending $150+ for a lower I want something more than a name brand thing. A nice adjustable trigger may be good, depending on your preferences. Beyond that, the only other preference I have with regards to lowers is a milspec tube, slightly heavier buffer, and the mako shock stock. The stock is very nice on full auto or larger calibers, especially 12 gauge.

For upper items, M4 cuts, FA bolt (get a specialized coating if you're into that), barrels I like white oak, hanguard either apex machine or jp/vtac (not a quad rail fan), and I always use an adjustable gas block like the noveske switchblock for suppressed shooting. A mako Grip pod gen 2 is actually pretty nice combination of both worlds.

I saw a QD lower to other day, very nice, I like the beveled mag well and screw vs pin for the bolt catch.

I've gone the 6.8 SPC route and went with a Noveske barrel with a Vltor MUR upper, what a great upper and fun round! I would also recomend Barrett's mag for your project, if you can't find the Barrett's then go with the PRI mags.

Good luck and post pictures when your done :)

Stop by Rainier Arms and check out their wall. It's got several fine examples of the "best" brands on the market in both complete guns and parts. Colt, LMT, Noveske, POF, Daniel Defense, BCM, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top