JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to purchase/order an AR-10 pattern rifle in the next two weeks and am not sure what the best one to get would be. I have been considering the following: Sig 716, DPMS MK12, Armalite AR-10 that accepts PMags. Anyone with experience with these or any others that I could pick up for under $2,000, I would love to hear from you. I am leaning toward the Sig, but I am not set on it.

I've said it before on here,a local guy sent his DPMS to some friends to work up a hand load for it.
They wouldn't give it back cause it was so accurate.And they live 100 miles away.
Maybe not always the case but his was golden. And that was in the 1300 range

Armalite AR10, so what it don't take pmags. The ability to take pmags should not be your main reason for selecting a AR10 type rifle. Why buy a Ar10 type when a AR10 fits your budget.

I would have preferred to get a Armalite but settled for a Lr308 because it was best deal during the post election time period when i bought it .

I have had zero problems with it and have put 400 rds through it . i put 120rds of calvin which is known as dirty leaving a tar type residue in one day with not a single problem or a single relube or cleaning.

my nephew has a lr308 AP4 it had some problems with surp ammo in the factory mag when it was brand new , no issues with Pmags and after break in no problems since with either mag. this seems to be the pattern when talking with other lr308 owners although mine did not suffer any of these problems but the first 100 i fired were commercial hunting rds before i got my hands on surp ammo.

both rifles have been 100% reliable and more accurate than expected . you just need to follow the break in process when new.

Thanks billbo. Taking PMags is not a qualifier, but it is nice to have something that does not take proprietary mags. It makes them easier to find. Plus, most newer AR-10 style rifles are being made to accept the PMags.

I've had a DPMS AR-10 for about 5 years. I have heard not so good things about their 15's but the 10's have pretty good reviews. It's absolutely a blast to shoot and very accurate. I've never had a FTF through many, many rounds. Takes pmags which are 16/ each son sale at botach. The single issue I had was a FTE from handloads but I was running the gun too dry and the head spacing was a little off - totally on my handloading and not the gun.
You can get them for around $1100.00

Armalite AR10, so what it don't take pmags. The ability to take pmags should not be your main reason for selecting a AR10 type rifle. Why buy a Ar10 type when a AR10 fits your budget.

I would have preferred to get a Armalite but settled for a Lr308 because it was best deal during the post election time period when i bought it .

I have had zero problems with it and have put 400 rds through it . i put 120rds of calvin which is known as dirty leaving a tar type residue in one day with not a single problem or a single relube or cleaning.

my nephew has a lr308 AP4 it had some problems with surp ammo in the factory mag when it was brand new , no issues with Pmags and after break in no problems since with either mag. this seems to be the pattern when talking with other lr308 owners although mine did not suffer any of these problems but the first 100 i fired were commercial hunting rds before i got my hands on surp ammo.

both rifles have been 100% reliable and more accurate than expected . you just need to follow the break in process when new.

They do now! <broken link removed>

The MWS is great, but the three guns I listed are more in the $1,300-$1,700 range. The extra cash would equal another gun and since I am not just looking for a range toy, I'm not sure the extra expense makes sense.

Take a close look at the Sig716. Keith's had them for $1799 a few weeks ago.

The rifle has a nice gas system, not the standard AR-15 setup. For easy access, the piston & cylinder are exposed at the front of the handguard, the 'piston' is rotatable and can provide four different amounts of gas feed:
- 'light' gas feed, for use with a suppressor
- 'normal' gas feed
- 'heavy' gas feed, like if the piston & cylinder are dirty or loaded up with carbon
- 'no' gas feed, meaning you will have to cycle the charging handle manually

In addition, there is a fifth 'hidden' detent on the gas cylinder - put the cylinder in that fifth position and the cylinder & piston can be removed for cleaning without even splitting the upper & lower receivers. You can rotate (and remove) the piston without tools.

The whole gas system is solid & very well done. Could well be just my imagination, but the Sig716 seems to have noticeably less recoil than my M-1A - maybe due to some of the recoil energy being absorbed in the buffer spring.

The Sig716 seems to be designed for an EOtech sight. Put an EOtech 552 on the top rail and two nice things happen:
- you can still use the Sig716 iron sights - when you flip up the iron sights they look right through the center of the glass in the EOtech.
- when you flip down the iron sights they are not visible in the EOtech sight window.

There are three plastic pieces on the rifle - the MagPul buttstock assembly, the MagPul handgrip assembly, and a MagPul magazine. Both the buttstock and the handgrip have the usual MagPul assortment of hidden compartments for tools & spare batteries. And it is nice to be able to buy extra mags at the gunshow rather than have to search out some special Whitworth-Metric Belgian FN waffle-variant magazine.

For $2000 you can build one the way you like it.
You dont need to go with the some of the more spendy Stock, hand guards or barrel
like this one.
Mega Maten upper lower set 600
Magpul UBR stock 250
Rainier Arms Select .308 Barrel 260
or
Noveske barrel 550
Lower parts group 50
JP trigger 100
Armalite bolt carrier group 250
gas tube 15
flash hider AAC 100
Hand guard SWS E-1 380