JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shoot enough with cans and it eventually happens; you find some that work great or were even pleasantly surprising as a suppressed setup. Then there are the ones that are spectacular fails at being a suppressor host; unpleasant to shoot, loud, unwieldy, et al.

What were some of the best hosts you've employed? How about the dumpster-fire ones?

Enjoy!

I've been thinking about this as Hawaii put all gun owners on the fbi watchlist. I might a well join the NFA team. I'm thinking of getting a can for a 1911, MK4 and a rifle. My MK4 Hunter will require a little bit of modification with the fluted barrel.

Obvious answer, but my bolt-action .22lr rifles make the sweetest suppressor hosts when it comes to sound. Some other greats are my Walther P22 and .300BLK Handi Rifle (pictured below).

My hands-down worst suppressor host is a VZ. 61 in .32acp. It spits a ton of gas straight up in front of your face when shouldered, and there's plenty of noise coming back with it. Still one of my most fun guns to shoot though!

Quite Day Cleaned (3).jpg

I would never hunt with a suppressed firearm. I like my rifles to be well balanced and light enough to be carried in the hands for an extended period of time. I like a rifle, especially one used for still hunting timber stands, blinds, or tree stands to point like a good bird gun. Suppressors add too much weight up front.

I really like my 11.5 AR with a supressor. I use a Surefire SC2 on a Surefire Warcomp.

My best is my bolt action 9mm and a tank of a 9mm bored can. With subs, it's pretty stupid how quiet it is.

Lever actions make great hosts. As do bolt actions.

Worst is any of the center fire pistols I own with a can on them. Pistols just kind of suck suppressed in my opinion. I'm sure there are better pistol/suppressor combos, but all of mine suck. If I wanted to suppress a pistol, I've heard 45s like a really well made 1911 and an ultra light suppressor make great combos. Just a lot to invest in something I'd likely never get into.

I've been thinking about this as Hawaii put all gun owners on the fbi watchlist. I might a well join the NFA team. I'm thinking of getting a can for a 1911, MK4 and a rifle. My MK4 Hunter will require a little bit of modification with the fluted barrel.
Just buy a separate MK4 upper, either one that came threaded from the factory or one from the many gunsmiths who offer tailored MK4 uppers. Your bolt will drop right into the new upper if you don't buy a second bolt and any MK4 upper will fit on your MK4 hunter lower. Just remember the upper is the serialized part so you will be doing a 4473 on the new upper.

Some links to get you started:

Just buy a separate MK4 upper, either one that came threaded from the factory or one from the many gunsmiths who offer tailored MK4 uppers. Your bolt will drop right into the new upper if you don't buy a second bolt and any MK4 upper will fit on your MK4 hunter lower. Just remember the upper is the serialized part so you will be doing a 4473 on the new upper.

Some links to get you started:

I really like my Hunter model. Volquartzen will thread it for $100.

Best Hosts:
  • Henry Frontier factory threaded 22lr, absolute quietest gun I have suppressed with sub sonics, that includes bb-guns and pellet guns.
  • Beretta 21a Bobcat 22lr, just fun
  • Any 22lr bolt gun
  • 10/22 charger with binary trigger aka bullet hose
  • 1911 in 45acp
  • CZ P09 and P07 9mm
  • CZ SP01 Tactical 9mm
  • B&T GHM9 and APC9
  • Bolt action 300 blackout
  • Walther Q5 Match SF 9mm
  • H&K select fire MP5 9mm
  • Walther PPQ 22lr
  • CZ527 in 7.62x39 shooting subs, just as quiet as 300 blackout from a bolt gun.
Worst Hosts:
  • Any AR in 5.56, it just isn't going to be quiet but it will be much more pleasant for you and anyone around when fired. Totally worth suppressing but this is what really broke the hollywood quiet thoughts in my head and made me understand what I was doing and realistic results from suppressors.
  • Glocks just don't seem to suppress well.
  • POF Revolution in 308, port pop is awful and loud
  • AK's
Got some projects in the works that will hopefully join the best hosts list soon.

I really like my Hunter model. Volquartzen will thread it for $100.
I like my MK IV hunter also but couldn't bring myself to ruin the nice fluted factory barrel. I also wanted one with the barrel cut down and threaded flush to the receiver face so the new upper was basically the same length as the factory barrel with the suppressor installed like this:
1630625162965.png

This also has the added benefit of being able to run bulk high velocity 22lr ammo at sub sonic speeds for quiet on the cheap.

I like my MK IV hunter also but couldn't bring myself to ruin the nice fluted factory barrel. I also wanted one with the barrel cut down and threaded flush to the receiver face so the new upper was basically the same length as the factory barrel with the suppressor installed like this:
View attachment 1024155

This also has the added benefit of being able to run bulk high velocity 22lr ammo at sub sonic speeds for quiet on the cheap.
What I hear you saying is, "buy another gun". Yes sir!

My favorite host is a full auto PTR 9CT with a Dead Air Wolfman on it. Full auto with 147gr subsonics it makes me grin every time I shoot it.

My Volquartsen Scorpion with a GM-22 mounted is also a lot of fun, and very quiet.

No thread like this is complete without the H&K Mk23...
I was thinking I needed to send my Wilsonized Colt back to Wilson Combat to replace the last remaining Colt part, other than the slide and frame, the barrel with a 6" threaded barrel. But I'm starting to think that I need an Hk45 Tactical.

Since we are talking about .45's I just put together a glock 21 with a Holson 507 green dot, theaded barrel and a hybrid suppressor, and a taran + 4 mag base fun to shoot plus it makes a nice bed side pistol.
xJQV9TR.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top