JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Read it again, APARTMENT/CONDO situation, as in you don't feel justified using lethal force on the guy through the 6in wall. I don't know about you but I sure wouldn't. I personally use 00 Buck in my home defense weapon. But I have no neighbors cept 50+yrds out, and just because they are down dose NOT mean they are out. And anyway you look at it you are going to have a legal trail 5 miles long, especially if you hit someone that was not intended with lethal force, you would be legally responsible.

If you use a firearm on a person you are using lethal force. If you use less lethal ammo, you are saying you weren't justified in using lethal force.

Puts you in a bad spot legally.

Your advice is bad. Deal with it.

Funny thing is I used to think the same thing as you. Fortunately I was willing to listen to good advice, and changed my opinion.

I say use nothing but 00 buckshot from a well known company. For your situation Federal Power-Shok Low Recoil Buckshot is what I recommend. Living in an apartment doesn't mean you should sacrifice your safety. Know where you are safe to fire and where you cannot fire. I do believe that 00 Buck has less penetration in walls than a 9MM bullet.

Using a less lethal option isn't inherently a bad idea as it can show that you still had to use lethal force after shooting the BG with a rubber round. You could load one round of rubber and follow it with 00 buck. Just don't "Finish him off" that will get you in prison, quick.

I say use nothing but 00 buckshot from a well known company. For your situation Federal Power-Shok Low Recoil Buckshot is what I recommend. Living in an apartment doesn't mean you should sacrifice your safety. Know where you are safe to fire and where you cannot fire. I do believe that 00 Buck has less penetration in walls than a 9MM bullet.

Using a less lethal option isn't inherently a bad idea as it can show that you still had to use lethal force after shooting the BG with a rubber round. You could load one round of rubber and follow it with 00 buck. Just don't "Finish him off" that will get you in prison, quick.

The problem is if you use a firearm against a person, you are using lethal force. But by using less lethal, you are in effect saying that you didn't feel justified in using lethal force.

If you didn't feel justified in using lethal force, than you shouldn't have been using a firearm.

It is a very bad idea.

If you use a firearm on a person you are using lethal force. If you use less lethal ammo, you are saying you weren't justified in using lethal force.

Puts you in a bad spot legally.

Your advice is bad. Deal with it.

I could really care less what anyone thinks of some advise that I gave over a computer screen on a public forum. He says hes worried about hitting someone though a thin wall, I produced an alternative. If you think its bad, don't use it, I don't even use that method myself. But this discussion is done. Have a fantastic day.:s0155:

I could really care less what anyone thinks of some advise that I gave over a computer screen on a public forum. He says hes worried about hitting someone though a thin wall, I produced an alternative. If you think its bad, don't use it, I don't even use that method myself. But this discussion is done. Have a fantastic day.:s0155:

Don't like my answer? Don't give bad advice then. Simple as that. :s0112:

Your advice was on par with people who advocate shooting an attacker in the leg.

Using a less lethal option isn't inherently a bad idea as it can show that you still had to use lethal force after shooting the BG with a rubber round.

Are you trained in the use of Less Than Lethal (LTL) munitions? Did you know you can cause serious injury with LTL rounds if fired above the waist? Do you know the difference between all the LTL rounds? Fin-stabalized rounds? Rubber balls? Bean bags? Wood skip-rounds?

Each round has a differnt use...for example, wooden rounds are suppossed to be skipped off the round approx 10" in front of your target. You should also be at least 20" from your target when firing LTL rounds and bean bags are no longer used by LEOs because they can cause serious lacerations and injuries not intended by the manufacturer.

So unless you go through the training course with LTLs, I would serious advize against using them against another person. Going out to a gun shop and buying some rubber balls is ill advized...like itgoesboom states, you should never fire a gun at anyone that isn't a LETHAL THREAT. Regardless of what type of rounds you put in them...I don't care if you put rocksalt in your shells, shooting people isn't something you should ever take lightly. If you want another LTL option, buy a TAZER or MACE and find out how to use it!

Are you trained in the use of Less Than Lethal (LTL) munitions? Did you know you can cause serious injury with LTL rounds if fired above the waist? Do you know the difference between all the LTL rounds? Fin-stabalized rounds? Rubber balls? Bean bags? Wood skip-rounds?

Each round has a differnt use...for example, wooden rounds are suppossed to be skipped off the round approx 10" in front of your target. You should also be at least 20" from your target when firing LTL rounds and bean bags are no longer used by LEOs because they can cause serious lacerations and injuries not intended by the manufacturer.

So unless you go through the training course with LTLs, I would serious advize against using them against another person. Going out to a gun shop and buying some rubber balls is ill advized...like itgoesboom states, you should never fire a gun at anyone that isn't a LETHAL THREAT. Regardless of what type of rounds you put in them...I don't care if you put rocksalt in your shells, shooting people isn't something you should ever take lightly. If you want another LTL option, buy a TAZER or MACE and find out how to use it!

Wasn't to concerned about who the round was being fired at lol if it does more than just knock them on the ground then hey it worked better than expected. The problem is the people sleeping ever so softly and getting hit with a 00 buck shot. The suggestion of LTL loads was just for the scenario where there would be innocent lives at risk that you could not see as you wouldn't want to turn an apartment complex into swiss cheese now would you? The best thing would to do as someone previously posted and do dry runs and find the safe shooting directions, but im going to guess and say you wont find one in an apartment cept twords the front door.

Don't like my answer? Don't give bad advice then. Simple as that. :s0112:

Your advice was on par with people who advocate shooting an attacker in the leg.

Nope. Your answer was more than fine, its is your opinion and you sure are entitled to it. And :s0112: at limb shots, even the most inexperienced of shooters know you shoot for center mass.

Funny thing is I used to think the same thing as you. Fortunately I was willing to listen to good advice, and changed my opinion.

And in response to your edit, I'm going to try and make this as clear as possible since it seems to be pretty hard to understand for some reason. . .
I do NOT use MY OWN advise as stated in MY previous posts it was PURELY for the OP'S scenario I do NOT own any LTL loads NOR do I ever plan on owning any. Since this is like trying to argue with a brick wall, i'm going to be the bigger person and end this discussion between you and I.

Cameron,

Whether you take your own advice or not, it's still bad advice, and my fear is that someone might actually take it.

Plain and simple, if someone uses a firearm with "less lethal" ammo in it, and they use it in a defensive shooting, they are at a very serious increased liability, both legally, and in the actual shooting.

Like you stated, correctly, the best course of action is to plot out where safe lanes of fire are, and then act accordingly. But recommending less lethal ammo to someone is bad advice.

And :s0112: at limb shots, even the most inexperienced of shooters know you shoot for center mass.

I wish that was true. I've talked to many inexperienced shooters who had in their mind that warning shots, or shooting a person in the legs, or shooting their weapon out of their hands was a good idea. :s0112::s0114:

What's worse, is I have talked to many experienced shooters who believe the same thing. :s0054:

This is what makes me act so adamant about bad advice on these forums:

There are a lot of people who can't separate the good advice from the bad, and they will not only listen to bad advice, they will spread that bad advice with extreme fervor as if it is the absolute truth.

Oh yeah, I actually am trained in all that fancy stuff. I forgot about that part. Ignore the less lethal stuff and get the 00 buck.

The discussion was not what is the better round, that's a pretty obvious winner. The discussion was what round is going to go through a thin wall in an apartment and injure or possibly kill a innocent bi-standard. Which is also pretty obvious.

Which brings us full circle. What is the best round for Mark to use in his new shotgun in his condo? He probably wishes he had never asked the question :)

Well, I can tell you a few years back, I stopped an intruder in his tracks while he was trying to break into my apartment back in San Diego. Didn't fire a single shot.

Not sure if he was more frightened by the Ruger S/A .357 Mag revolver, or the fact that I was still nekkid when I charged the window he was trying to get through. I can tell you that the end result was that he hopped down from our 2nd story terrace, and could have outran any olympian as fast as he took off. :s0112:

While that tactic happened to work in that specific instance, I stand by my recommendation of testing several loads of 00 buck, picking one, and than determining where his safe lanes of fire are. :s0155:

Wasn't to concerned about who the round was being fired at lol if it does more than just knock them on the ground then hey it worked better than expected. The problem is the people sleeping ever so softly and getting hit with a 00 buck shot. The suggestion of LTL loads was just for the scenario where there would be innocent lives at risk that you could not see as you wouldn't want to turn an apartment complex into swiss cheese now would you? The best thing would to do as someone previously posted and do dry runs and find the safe shooting directions, but im going to guess and say you wont find one in an apartment cept twords the front door.

They make trap and pheasant shot for shotguns you know. Just have no misconceptions...you can still die from it.

hahahahah too lethal? what should you do? tickle the bad guy to death? hahahahah I can try and kill the bad guy kindly lol.
Granted I wouldn't probably use that round I posted earlier at home for a midnight visitor, but certain ammo for certain situations my friends lol. Good thing I didn't say anything about flechette shotti rounds.

I prefer #4 shot... deadly at 30 yards, but won't kill a neighbor through walls like .30 shot can in the same situation. If you put half your #4 shot load on target at 30 yards (90 ft) you will immediately stop any aggressive action. You want to stop the threat, not kill innocents.

Again, the most lethal for the situation is not the most ideal. Get some duck-shot and don't worry. .30x9 (2.75 00 buck) will kill your neighbor. You just want to neutralize the threat, not get sued (and have the mental baggage) for negligent homicide of a neighbor. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top