JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That looks a lot like my AR, but I use a 243 bolt gun for hunting coyotes. It is lighter than my AR, but much slower on follow-up shots. I am sure the 223 will take down a coyote. Many people use them. As far as which gun is best, I think it is more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

My other choices are a Howa 1500 .30-06, a Marlin 336C in .30-30, and a single shot #1 Remington rolling block in .357 Mag. I've taken coyotes with all of those, but the AR is at least as accurate as the Howa and way quicker on the second shot. I once missed a double on coyotes with the .30-06 because of the slow bolt action. That's when I decided I needed the Bushmaster Varminter. I didn't get the Predator because I wanted the extra 4" of barrel for rats.

The rolling block is too nice to take coyote hunting:

RRBRestore-RtFullUpsm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have way too many coyote guns.... or so I've been told.

.17 Remington 30 grain berger hollow points, good out to 300 yards and easy on pelts if you are keeping them for the fur.

.221 Fireball 40 grain v-max, always puts 'em down and the low recoil allows me to see the hit in the scope everytime. This one is good for low fur damage as well.

.222 Remington 40 grain ballistic tip, this rifle is an ultralight I had custom built. It is nice to pack along on those hike around the back country calling trips as it only weighs 4.5 pounds with the Swarovski 3-9 on top of it. I don't know why I chose the triple deuce, it just seemed like there was room for it inbetween the .221 and the .223 Duh!

.223 Remimgton Armalite M15A4TC 69 grain Nosler custom competition. I like this one for open areas where I wouldn't be surprised to call multiple dogs at the same time. The heavier 69 grainers are good out to almost 400 yards, but are pretty tough on hides inside 150 yards.

.243 Winchester 100 grain sierra's, only on windy days when I don't care about the fur.

.260 Remington Improved 120 grain ballistic tips, for those very long range shots required when shooting coyotes off a stinky cow carcass in the middle of a field.

12 Gauge Benelli M-1 3" #4Buck, within 50 yards they usually don't even twitch.

.458 Winchester magnum, 500 grain round nose. Just because I can.....

The best coyote gun is the one you have in your hands when you see a coyote. I have shot several with a .22-250 but it bumps just hard enough that I miss seeing the impact in the scope, but usually I have no problem hearing the hit. It has a tendency to really tear up hides IMO.

The main thing is get out there and give 'em a round out of whatever you are packin' that day.

When there's lead in ther air... there's hope!:s0155:

Call me old fashioned, but my coyote gun of choice is a Winchester model 1892 in .25-20. The venerable old .25-20 is probably the original varment cartridge. With open iron sights I am not shooting them at anything like 500 yds, but up close and personal.

.204 Ruger is my favorite but what ever gun I have with me usually works just fine. 40gr. V-max out of either of my .204s have worked great. No exit and you really have to look for an entry hole. I have some 35gr. Bergers loaded up that I have yet to try on a dog but have heard good things about them.

Lots of good replies here. Lots of great calibers mentioned. I made a decision a couple of years ago to hunt and plink only with my shtf guns. That means that I have/need fewer calibers, can stock more concentrated amounts of appropriate ammo, and I'm practicing and training with the guns I may depend on to save my life. That includes getting my reloads tuned for those guns.

My answer for coyotes is therefore an AR-15.

Hey, I have been using a friends AR but looking to pick up a rifle. What about m77 .233? Thoughts and Suggestions?
22-250 is a great rifle with the right loads, .223 is good as is the .204. but really, just about anything that drops em in there track is good.

.223 or 22-250 for taking one down and saving the pelt. Biggest thing is going to be the bullet you use (Ballistic Silvertips, or V-max). I see a lot of talk about Ruger M77's on here, and they take quite a bit of work to accurize if you take them to a gunsmith to get that extra moa out of them. Kind of the same thing with Browning rifles. You can't really go wrong with a Savage 22-250 or an AR for a .223 caliber gun. Steer clear of Olympic Arms AR's though.

I use a .22-250 Remy 700 sps and it has been NOTHING less than perfect! :) 220 swift are sweet to. But i did just buy an ar10 in .308 that I think is gonna be fun to shoot them coyotes too! :D

I have way too many coyote guns.... or so I've been told.

.17 Remington 30 grain berger hollow points, good out to 300 yards and easy on pelts if you are keeping them for the fur.

.221 Fireball 40 grain v-max, always puts 'em down and the low recoil allows me to see the hit in the scope everytime. This one is good for low fur damage as well.

.222 Remington 40 grain ballistic tip, this rifle is an ultralight I had custom built. It is nice to pack along on those hike around the back country calling trips as it only weighs 4.5 pounds with the Swarovski 3-9 on top of it. I don't know why I chose the triple deuce, it just seemed like there was room for it inbetween the .221 and the .223 Duh!

.223 Remimgton Armalite M15A4TC 69 grain Nosler custom competition. I like this one for open areas where I wouldn't be surprised to call multiple dogs at the same time. The heavier 69 grainers are good out to almost 400 yards, but are pretty tough on hides inside 150 yards.

.243 Winchester 100 grain sierra's, only on windy days when I don't care about the fur.

.260 Remington Improved 120 grain ballistic tips, for those very long range shots required when shooting coyotes off a stinky cow carcass in the middle of a field.

12 Gauge Benelli M-1 3" #4Buck, within 50 yards they usually don't even twitch.

.458 Winchester magnum, 500 grain round nose. Just because I can.....

The best coyote gun is the one you have in your hands when you see a coyote. I have shot several with a .22-250 but it bumps just hard enough that I miss seeing the impact in the scope, but usually I have no problem hearing the hit. It has a tendency to really tear up hides IMO.

The main thing is get out there and give 'em a round out of whatever you are packin' that day.

When there's lead in ther air... there's hope!:s0155:
I was wondering if you have tried the 58 grain ZMax in the 243. My rifle likes them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top