JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If could only have one caliber in a black powder muzzleloader, what would it be?

• Total voters
Something to consider if you are wanting a muzzle loading rifle for targets / plinking and the like.

While many small bore rifles can be quite accurate with round ball....
Small bore here being .45 caliber and less...
We have gongs out to 100 yards at our club...
And during a match or rendezvous a small caliber round ball is tough to spot or hear out at 50 yards to 100 yards.

With that said....
A rifle of the same caliber , firing a conical or Minie Ball ...is a whole other thing....way more lead to make 'em ring.
Andy

.54 is the one for me.
My favorite rifle is in this caliber.
I have taken :
Grouse
Coyote
Antelope
Deer
Elk
And Bear
With my .54 caliber Hawken Rifle.

Beyond personal bias....
In some states .54 is legal for Elk and Bear...whereas .50 and lower is only legal for Deer.
( Or at least used to be...its been awhile since I looked at out of state regulations )

Andy
Is that an old or new Hawken?

I can't vote cuz I don't know enough about it. Only have .45 and .44 pistols. One thing I like about .44 revolver though is you can shoot 45LC with a conversion cylinder. This is helpful cuz I can't find the right percussion caps anywhere and still haven't found any real black powder. I did find 777 substitute though.

My first rifle build was a .50. Then the pistol kit was a .50, so I just figured, "What the Heck", and stuck with the .50 as I didn't want to get into any more molds. :s0092:

The Matchlock and the Blunderbuss both shoot .63 glass marbles. :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads