JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a bit of coffee and tea too - I don't drink those either; I never cared for their taste.

I used to smoke a pipe - which is one of the reasons I have throat problems, that and GERD.

If you want to stock up on tobacco - I won't - then I would recommend the tobacco that comes in tins and other sealed containers. In my experience it does keep until you open it.

Ahhh - the smell of pipe tobacco.

I smoked a pipe for 40 years(?), even inhaled the smoke, but it got to the point that I was spending about $50 a month for my imported tobacco and I was looking at spending $100s to replace my foul, burnt-out, pipes so I gave it up. 90 days later I was off the evil weed and never looked back;)!

I just want to say this, and if it hasn't been or has been said, it needs to be said again:
DO NOT AGE YOUR BEER IN THE CAN.
Many local beers say on the side,

"DRINK FRESH · DO NOT AGE · KEEP REFRIGERATED"

Fort George, VORTOX

If you must, buy wine or properly sealed booze.
Also buy a beer making kit, and plan for rebuilding, not just survival.

It's twelve o'clock, American, another day closer to victory.

I used to smoke cigars too.

That is something to stock up on if you stock up on tobacco - I won't, but if people are going to want whiskey, brandy, etc. - I would bet they would want a nice cigar too.

For myself, the alcohol will not be for recreational use - it will be purely medicinal. It is all to easy for me to into the habit of getting intoxicated so I am very careful about any kind of intoxicants. The last thing I want to be in a SHTF situation is intoxicated unless the alternative is severe physical pain.

8.0.jpg

Not long ago, my wife came home from Costco with a modestly priced large bottle of Kirkland brand blended Scotch. Very smooth, not much character. But she actually likes it and she's not a Scotch drinker. We've picked up more since then. She thought it would make good barter stock. I'd view it much as I do a modestly priced and fairly smooth blended Canadian. If dim and distant memory serves, Potter's does compare favorably in the value dept. to MacNaughton's, R&R and the excellent but expensive Crown Royal.

I'd consider fairly smooth whiskies, modestly priced and not too crappy Vodka, along with a decent brandy, to be good trading stock.

My wife also noted my bottle of McClelland's was nearly gone, as was the Laphroaig and the much lighter Glenlivet. So without being asked, she also brought home bottles of The Macallan, Glenfiddich and Talisker Storm. But that's not trading stock. That's just because I have the perfect wife (who recommended I put my reloading bench in the well lit end of the master bedroom, after I turned two small bedrooms into one large one, and feels that His & Hers guns alongside the King Size bed are more important than the His & Hers reading lights). Life is Good. :D

I think we'll continue to lay in small amounts of modestly priced but acceptable booze. For serious quantities, though, a road trip to another state is in order. I think Washington has the most expensive liquor anywhere in the country. If I find cheap Everclear, I'll consider some. But last time I saw it, it was not cheap and not 190 proof.

Last Edited:
If you're into stockpiling, how about keeping your old empty bottles of that expensive stuff, then refilling them with whatever half-gallon of rotgut that OLCC has on sale?

If you're into stockpiling, how about keeping your old empty bottles of that expensive stuff, then refilling them with whatever half-gallon of rotgut that OLCC has on sale?

That is a do-able strategy. But I don't think I would recommend it. Also it may be a bit over-elaborate. Storing the bottles would get to be a side business on its own.

However, if you wish to investigate that approach, an excellent opportunity is upcoming - St. Patrick's Day.

Hit the big bars in town the morning after St. Patrick's Day. They will all have MANY empty liquor bottles to dispose of. Take your pick. Back when I was homebrewing I would use this tactic to get empty champagne bottles for free.

So I was looking at a wikipedia entry about grappa (an interesting clear brandy I once had and that I like [I had it once before I learned about my throat condition], but don't drink anymore) and I looked into brandy.

Brandy would be a good substitute for wine when cooking as it is a "hard" liquor and would keep for a period of time.

Beer will not keep beyond a year at the outside.
I have been looking into this for a while and I believe that 190 proof Everclear is the place to start. It can be drank (once mixed) or used for medicinal purposes. It will last forever, is cheap and will highly tradeable. Beyond that, if everything else is in place in your TEOTWAWKI preparations, then something like brandy or scotch that improve with age as high end trade items. There will be no shortage of brewers and whiskey distillers post SHTF.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top