JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe learn to brew beer, build a still and learn how to use it. The still can be used to distill water as well. At least that way you won't run out of product regardless of quality.

You'll have to keep a large stock of grain if you want to be able to make moonshine - I've looked into it.

That creates a whole other set of issues.

10 gallons of Ever clear and a 5 gallon bucket of Pot and you'll be the King

In these two states I'd go with a few buckets of pot not just one:p.

Home brewing takes supplies that may not be all that available in a bad situation fuel alone could be a problem, you also need things to be pretty sterile. Its simpler to buy a few cases of everclear or pure grain alc. now. As many have said wine and beer are a bad choice for long term storage, wine tends to die in the bottle alot faster than most people are aware.

Unless you have a professional humidor similar to cigar storage. Temps and all need to be regulated or you'll eventually end up with expensive vinegar.

In a world without amenities, or rule of law, do you really think you're going to have the time to brew up your own hooch? Or enough animal feed to use it for booze? Sugar?

What kind of customers do you think you're going to have once word gets round?

I am going to be 62 this year.

I am not going to have the time or energy or health to grow the raw ingredients to run any kind of brewing/distilling operation.

For the amount of alcohol I will need and stock up on, it will be a lot easier and a lot less expensive for me just to buy ten gallons of Everclear or similar product now, and a smaller amount of a few other items, than it would be for me to buy the raw materials and equipment needed to make it into alcohol.

As it is, I would be a busy with a lot of other more important things.

So - checked online.

OLCC has two different "netural grain spirit" products that are about the same price.

They have a lot of vodka.

I would guess the simplest way to narrow it down would be to ask which brands to avoid.

View attachment 279112

I saw this in Costco the other night, and it reminded me that alcohol, the drinkable kind, is not something that I have stocked up on.

I do not drink due to health problems - it causes problems with my throat.

So I am thinking:

1) vodka or other high alcohol percentage low flavor liquid - this would be for barter, possibly medicinal uses
2) wine - probably red wine - for cooking
3) beer - for cooking and barter

I am looking for low cost, high value since I won't be using this very much - if at all - unless there is a complete collapse. Not crappy rot gut, but not connoisseur level of quality either.

Recommendations?

I only started Long-term prepping in the last six months so I am far from finished (or an expert) but that's not going to stop me from adding my two cents. I also hobby brew IPA.

Beer will NOT keep and can be easily brewed in the event of a supply chain breakdown. Same with Whiskey although premium things like mid to high end scotch, etc will, like Charmin TP, not be available. I think that luxury items will be in high demand for a "taste of the old days".

Vodka is a great choice, it is very stabile and has practical uses besides getting hammered.

Wine? Maybe, it is not stabile and needs a cool environment to keep.

Having a supply of home brew items might not be a bad idea but here in NW Beertopia I don't think there will be any shortage of home brews operating in a barter economy.

I do partake and will be adding both vodka and mid shelf Whiskey for personal consumption. Once my long-term food supplies are finished I will be tasking my own advice and stocking luxury consumables for barter.

Everclear. Most concentrated potable alcohol readily available. Sold in Oregon liquor stores. I buy the pint bottles.

You can cut it up to five-to-one with almost anything and still have something tradeable. It's also good for medicinal uses or even burning for heat in a pinch.

Alcohol, along with tobacco, will be among the highest-value trading items in a grid-down situation.

Do you know if it is possible to store tobacco long term? I have been using sealed Mylar bags with O2 absorbers for most long term bulk items. Thoughts?

Tobacco is fairly easy to grow and pretty bug resistant, also, several varieties are a good looking plant. Most who have never spent time in tobacco growing country wouldn't know what they were looking at either. The more difficult problem is having a decent drying area for it to cure in. The humidity up here can lead to mold/mildew issues if not properly cared for during the cure phase. There are several strains of tobacco plant out there, some more for snuff/chew, some lean toward cigarettes and others toward cigar/pipe use. While I haven't started growing any yet I was planning on giving it a try as growing a few plants in the garden has been said to reduce destructive bug activity in the area. I also figure that with tobacco at that point beggars will barter for any tobacco rather than go without.

oops!

eurex_0.jpg

Last Edited:
Box wine, which is a plastic bladder, should have decent storability in a cool place. Not like vodka, etc, but easier to store than corked bottles. Glass bottles with corks, properly stored may outlast box wine, but it requires more care.

Brewing beer is reasonably complex-even kit beer. Know how, sanitation, supplies and time are limiting factors.

Vodka is a good barter choice. Lots of inexpensive options.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top