JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
NEVER on American Airlines! The counter folks make up their own rules depending on the airport. Flight from Seattle to Phoenix on American went very well. American from Phoenix back was AWFUL! The counter women disapproved of my handgun without specifics, would not allow me to go to TSA and said "We don't care, you're not getting on this flight." My LEO creds, TSA approved case/lock be damned. I wrote to the CEO and got nowhere. NEVER on American Airlines! NEVER!
All airlines can vary from location to location. I've flown on AA many times without issue so it would be interesting to understand what their issue was in this case. LEO creds should not come into play. The issue usually is with the case (being able to see / access the gun, using one lock). Another is with ammo in mags. Technically it can be done but the wording can be unclear on how a loaded the magazine should be secured. Ultimately a supervisor may need to get involved but presuming you tried that as well. Sorry for the experience.

When that happens just politely ask for a supervisor and they will straighten out the situation. This is one of the reasons it pays to give yourself a time buffer, since a supervisor will not always be immediately available. Once there you will be handled properly and on your way.

I have traveled the world as a federal agent with everything from a J Frame to an H&K SMG and know how to do what is necessary. I was professional, patient and friendly. My gun case in this situation was identical to that shown on the AA video and shot at the PHX site. That's why used that one. I was there one hour early to do the check-in. The two women were surly, rude and overbearing. The supervisor, having been briefed in the back by the agent, came out, looked at my case and decided the case was "not the one in the AA video." I missed my flight, spent four more hours at PHX after an Alaska agent heard my story, shook her head and put me on the next flight to SEA. Again, NEVER on AA and I thank you for your comments!

Sounds like you just ran in to a really bad experience with folks who were either poorly trained or just really bad at their job. All of my minor issues have been with the ticket counters and after either a polite explanation or a more senior worker coming to my rescue, issues have been resolved. Have only missed one flight and that was due to a unique policy in San Jose, CA where if they want your key to inspect contents they page you but by your gate only. So if you are at a restaurant or not in the immediate area you are SOL. The business center was too far from the gate to hear any pages. Learning opportunity. Ironically how society is quick to blame public sector workers, all of my TSA interactions have overall been fine to pleasant.

Same here, I have only had two "hitches" and a supervisor cleared the issue in a couple of minutes. I know of a half dozen more times this has happened to people I personally know. All over the span of years.

There are many others who detail the same thing happening on shooting boards such as this.

The OP seems to be the outlier, which does not minimize his experience at all, however unusual his experience may be.

I always printed out and followed the airlines rules for travel with guns, underline and highlight the pertinent information. Hand that to the ticket counter attendant and if they are rude or offensive, or will not work with you then ask for their supervisors.
There are a lot of gun-haters working in positions that interfere with our lives and I will not hesitate to give them my last words.
I hope you learned a valuable lesson here today. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top