JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter just qualified for the Jr Olympics next month in both smallbore and air rifle and we need to fly to Michigan. Having never flown with firearms before I thought I'd toss the question out here first. We have two Pelican cases to secure them in as well as another case for all the equipment. Just wondering the safest/most reliable and cost effective airline.

The rules are set up to make it easy. Most fly with a gun and as long as they did what the TSA and airline asked, it's a snap. The only warning I always give is get there with a good time cushion. Every time this question comes up a lot of people can't wait to say they do it all the time and it's easy. It is supposed to be easy. problem is there is a LOT of people who find out the hard way it's not always easy. Now and then you get some moron who knows nothing but has appointed themselves the ruler of all. If this happens there will of course be someone there who can get you past the moron but, it may take some time. So check with the airline first, see what they say, check the TSA site see what they say. Follow these rules and leave plenty of time to get past the check in. If you are the unlucky one who gets some moron all you can do is stay cool and wait for a supervisor who knows how it works. A LOT of on line experts say to print out the rules and regs to show them. This will only make things worse for you. If you run into some robot who decides the make the rules and you do this? They will just take it as you disrespecting them and they will dig their heals in. I just take some form of entertainment to use after I get past the check. Then relax and wait for the flight.

Congrats to you both.
Not much difference between the airlines.
It's luggage as far as cost. 50lb limit or you pay through the nose.
TSA controls everything else, and unless things have changed in a year, it's easy.
Give yourself the full two hours to check in. I have waited 30 minutes with TSA at PDX, longer elsewhere.
As these are likely long cases, use two locks.
I have not flown firearms into DTW so cannot comment on that end.
Check the regs, Michigan should honor your CHL.
Question: what ammo does she use for small bore in comp and practice?

Congrats!!!
It has been my observation that the easiest airline to fly with firearms is Air Force One.

Be careful because those steps are a doozy.....

Southwest has been great, over 100 flights with firearms. One caution with long guns is that they may just put it on the over oversized slide with the golf clubs and not require any ID (so easier for someone to take). I'm almost always flying with handguns inside regular luggage so this works fine for me. Every other airline I have flown recently (American, Alaska, United, Delta) holds firearms at their baggage service office for you to pick up with ID.

NOTE FOR EVERYONE: PDX has changed how they check bags with guns (wife flew out this week). Where they used to have you go to TSA Oversize and wait while they checked your bag in front of you, asked for your key to inspect inside the case and they you were on your way...now (at least with SWA and guessing others) you still declare a firearm just like normal, but they they just put it in with the rest of the luggage and and wait in the area for 10 minutes where they will call you if there are any issues. Although I liked the old system because when you left TSA you knew for sure you were done with them, the revised procedure is common with many other airports.

OP - If you search threads on this topic you will find advice on reducing issues (number of locks, ammo, etc.) if needed. There are several of us here that have flown quite a bit with firearms or ask away. And of course congrats on the daughter headed to the trials!!!

Congrats to you both.
Not much difference between the airlines.
It's luggage as far as cost. 50lb limit or you pay through the nose.
TSA controls everything else, and unless things have changed in a year, it's easy.
Give yourself the full two hours to check in. I have waited 30 minutes with TSA at PDX, longer elsewhere.
As these are likely long cases, use two locks.
I have not flown firearms into DTW so cannot comment on that end.
Check the regs, Michigan should honor your CHL.
Question: what ammo does she use for small bore in comp and practice?
Her practice ammo is CCI Standard Velocity and she uses Eley Club and Eley Tenex for comp with smallbore (Anschutz rifle). In her air rifle (a very nice Walther) she's using some special RWS pellets.

Most airlines 11 pounds is the limit...guessing you will be good with .22 ammo. Last I checked Alaska (on flights that are PURELY on Alaska planes, not Horizon Air or other carriers that are on branded Alaska aircraft) at least used to have some crazy high ammo weight limits, 50 pounds!!! (Just checked, flight numbers 0001 - 2999 still have a 50 pound limit.) For others, 400 rounds of 9mm 115 grain in the right factory boxes can weigh 10 pound 15.9 oz. :cool:

What I find interesting is , when I flew to Utah for a hunt, I walked into the Sea Tac lobby with an AR .458 and 50 rounds of ammunition in my gun case. The lobby was jam packed with people and no one batted an eye. If I had been some kind of a nut, it would have been a mess. The security system seems backwards, (reactive).

@kmk1012 that is awesome and you are setting your daughter up to have a smooth and wonderful trip. May you and your family have a great experience and I hope she only shoots X's! Is the Walther a PCP? I seem to recall there being very specific rules for flying with the cylinders.

Otherwise, like others have stated it is pretty straightforward if you have done your research and are prepared prior to getting to the airport. I would pick the most efficient carrier to get you to your destination within your price range. My experience has been generally the same with SW, AA, United, etc... and primarily dictated by the airport more than the airline when flying with firearms.

I also highly recommend giving yourself a buffer day or two on the front end in case there are any issues. I flew back from Denver a couple years ago and Frontier lost my gun case with firearm inside along with a young lady's fencing foils who was due to compete the next day in the junior olympics. She was distraught and didn't know if she would even be able to compete. I can only imagine what it did to her mental state and competitive drive. I found out later that our bags had been left on the tarmac and they got put on the last flight out of Denver that day. I got my bag at 2am and found out that young lady was to get her foils next but I can't imagine the damage that had been done and when you get your stuff at 3am and have to compete at 8am it doesn't give you any time to set your mind right or get any quality rest in.

My wife has been a
@kmk1012 that is awesome and you are setting your daughter up to have a smooth and wonderful trip. May you and your family have a great experience and I hope she only shoots X's! Is the Walther a PCP? I seem to recall there being very specific rules for flying with the cylinders.

Otherwise, like others have stated it is pretty straightforward if you have done your research and are prepared prior to getting to the airport. I would pick the most efficient carrier to get you to your destination within your price range. My experience has been generally the same with SW, AA, United, etc... and primarily dictated by the airport more than the airline when flying with firearms.

I also highly recommend giving yourself a buffer day or two on the front end in case there are any issues. I flew back from Denver a couple years ago and Frontier lost my gun case with firearm inside along with a young lady's fencing foils who was due to compete the next day in the junior olympics. She was distraught and didn't know if she would even be able to compete. I can only imagine what it did to her mental state and competitive drive. I found out later that our bags had been left on the tarmac and they got put on the last flight out of Denver that day. I got my bag at 2am and found out that young lady was to get her foils next but I can't imagine the damage that had been done and when you get your stuff at 3am and have to compete at 8am it doesn't give you any time to set your mind right or get any quality rest in.
Yes, it's a Blutech PCP rifle (worth more than my first three cars combined, lol). We looked into it and as long as the cylinder is empty it can travel with the rifle. Thanks for the advice!

I have the following if she wants it. Had 2 cousins in the Olympics and a third who didn't make the final cut. Sponsored or not, it's expensive.

20210404_134525.jpg
[edit to add] note, the Eley is so old, the bullets have lead monoxide on the surface, PbO. The Lapua are brand new.

Last Edited:
I have the following if she wants it. Had 2 cousins in the Olympics and a third who didn't make the final cut. Sponsored or not, it's expensive.

View attachment 854639
[edit to add] note, the Eley is so old, the bullets have lead monoxide on the surface, PbO. The Lapua are brand new.
She's not sponsored, just an amateur at this point. That is a very generous offer but I think we have a line on some Eley Club. Thank you very much for the offer!

The actual airline is mostly irrelevant IMO. While there may be a slight difference in rules from airline to airline, they all allow transport of firearms. TSA is really the one who establishes the rules and, in particular, the process for each individual airport.

So read the rules of your given airline and what TSA has on their site. It's good to print and carry a copy of both with you, just in case. Recognize that each airport does things a little differently so give yourself plenty of time for check-in at all airports.

On check-in, there are usually two types of airports. In some airports you check your bag and gun at the airline desk (you can't curb check a firearm). They'll have you fill out the form and then place your bags on the belt and the bag will/may be checked by TSA in back. If you're in this type of airport, it's good to wait 15-20 minutes before you go through security in case there is a problem and they call you back.

In other airports you will take your bag to a special TSA station after your initial check-in, and they'll check your bag with you standing there. Once that is done you can go through security immediately.

On the other end your bag will usually be at the manned oversized luggage counter but sometimes it's on the regular carousel. Check both places before you start to worry.

Some airports will also zip tie your luggage shut. So make sure you're prepared to deal with this on the other end. You can stuff a cheap knife in one of your other checked bags that don't contain firearms or you can bring along a pair of EMT trauma shears. These are legal to have in your carry-on luggage and they're relatively cheap in case you get a TSA agent who doesn't know their own rules and makes a stink of it.

Last Edited:
NEVER on American Airlines! The counter folks make up their own rules depending on the airport. Flight from Seattle to Phoenix on American went very well. American from Phoenix back was AWFUL! The counter women disapproved of my handgun without specifics, would not allow me to go to TSA and said "We don't care, you're not getting on this flight." My LEO creds, TSA approved case/lock be damned. I wrote to the CEO and got nowhere. NEVER on American Airlines! NEVER!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top