Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best Air rifle for $100-$150?

Discussion in 'Air Rifle & Pistol Discussion' started by Scout67, May 15, 2013.

1. Scout67

Scout67 Milwaukie Member

My birthday is approaching and I am wanting to pick up a decent air rifle. I mostly target shoot with my daughter and my Crossman 760 is too limited. Thanks for your input!

2. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

3. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Remington 1200. It's not a toy by any means. Pass through 1/2" pine boards @ 25 yards. .17 cal. pellets. Comes with a 4x scope, a cheapo but it does the trick. It can be picked up at BI-Mart for around $129. Again, this isn't a toy, I'm pretty sure you could take any of the small game and quite possibly larger. My wife has used it to become more a proficient off hand shot and now hits one foot steel targets consistently at 75 yards. It's a single pump action that could prove difficult for younger shooters, not sure that's a bad thing though. In the wrong hands (or the right ones) this is a lethal weapon. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that it comes with an adjustable trigger too!

4. Irishbandit

Irishbandit Lynnwood, Washington Member

Go on Craigslist and get a GAMO with at least 1200 FPS then, buy CharlieDaTuna custom trigger for $30 and you'll have a great pest killer for under $150. My Gamo Rocket and Whisper both have kills out to 75yrds. I hit a can at 100yrs with the Whisper but the pellet only penetrated one side.

My suggestion is that with any springer gun a human kill would be under 50yrs. After 50yrds you risk making the animal suffer till you can get close enough to put in a 2nd..

5. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

+1 on this. had a $60 Benjamin when i was a kid. we had a habit of thrashing our bb guns and the Benjamin held up like a stone. never broke anything on it, always stayed accurate and would destroy thick, old coke bottles on 2 pumps. only got rid of it because i moved to an apartment complex in tigard when i was 12, my mom gave it away.

6. HandLoad

HandLoad Gig Harbor Member

Natchez Shooters' Supply has a Bunch of Refurbs for Really reasonable prices - google them and go looking!

7. dmv9

dmv9 Seattle, WA Member

8. ragermack

ragermack Tillamook Member

9. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Would you have a link to the refurbs? I went in their site but didn't find any......maybe all sold

10. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

"Human kill" or "humane kill"??

walletclan likes this.
  11. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have the version of the Gamo Whispercat in .22. It was discontinued, got it at Cabelas for $120.
    Sucker will DESTROY the 10oz coke bottles (i.e. heavy glass) or go through a Champagne bottle. It also shoots through both sides of a can at 25 yards.

12. Irishbandit

Irishbandit Lynnwood, Washington Member

Haha..either at 50 yards bud. A heavy grain .177 / .22 pellet traveling over 1000fps will absolutely penetrate a human skull. I have a raccoon headshot kill at 62yrds. In one side and blew the eye out the other.

13. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I know for fact that the 1200 remington will do it, we butchered the Jacobs ram the other day.