JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Simple expansion is not enough.. the bullet must penetrate well, too. Fortunately many modern hollowpoints and other designs do just this

Back to the real topic at hand, I carry GDHP's in my 9mm's. Just my choice.

What weight are you using?

I recently got a heckuva buy on a large lot of 124 gr GDHP's, but there is so much rabble on the net advocating anything from 115 gr to 147 grain that I frankly can't decide which is best. I've always bought the 124 gr anyway, so I snagged these. (Glock 19's, BTW.)

What weight are you using?

I recently got a heckuva buy on a large lot of 124 gr GDHP's, but there is so much rabble on the net advocating anything from 115 gr to 147 grain that I frankly can't decide which is best. I've always bought the 124 gr anyway, so I snagged these. (Glock 19's, BTW.)

I use 124 gr. I've shot 115's and 147's but in both my Sig and CZ the 124's are the most accurate. 6.4 gr of Vihtavouri 3N37 and a 124 gr GDHP gives me 1250 fps average so it's MORE than fast enough. The 147's are more for those who load subsonic 9mm's for use in suppressed firearms.

I use 124 gr. I've shot 115's and 147's but in both my Sig and CZ the 124's are the most accurate. 6.4 gr of Vihtavouri 3N37 and a 124 gr GDHP gives me 1250 fps average so it's MORE than fast enough. The 147's are more for those who load subsonic 9mm's for use in suppressed firearms.

Wow, that's fast. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Don't swear at me or I'll use my Corbon DPX on ya! I tested 140 grain .40S&W in wet newspaper and it opened perfect, 100% weight retention. Everyone I show it to say holy cr**. Thats awesome. Check em out.

Personally I prefer 147gr bullets for HD because they have less tendency to over-penetrate. I also only put HP as the first 3 rounds and then follow that by 2 FMJ just in case the HP don't penetrate.

Hornady Tap, Federal Hydra-shok, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester XST - all of these are on the FBI approved list for maximum expansion and something like a 97% chance of remaining in the target's body and not punching through. I'm loaded with the Golden Sabers right now...

The 9mm is a military cartridge. The object of the 9mm and other small caliber weapons is not to kill the enemy but to make him bleed. A wounded soldier is off the field, the resources to treat and get him; corpsmen, rescue squad, doctors, medical staff, equiptment etc.. is a tremendous burden to the enemy. Kill him and someone just picks up his body later. This was the main reason for the switch to smaller calibers. You hurt the enemy more by not killing but injuring his men.
Its very hard to kill someone, the vast majority of handgun shot perps survive. A charging 230 lb man shot in the heart still has enough forward momentum to reach and deal a deadly blow.
I'm not going to advocate any particular weapon, just take in to account personal home self defense is a specific situation that requires tactical knowledge more than any particular weapon.

The object of the 9mm and other small caliber weapons is not to kill the enemy but to make him bleed.

Not this again... facepalm.gif

facepalm.gif

9mm is a perfectly fine self defense cartridge whether you care for it or not...I mean if you're a crack shot .22lr will get it done. Not everyone wants/needs a .45...If you don't have anything to add regarding the OP, just pass on this thread and move on please

Ruger p94 9mm is my nightstand gun. I run whatever HP's are on sale and I have on hand. I practice with the same ammo and can afford it. I sleep fine at night knowing I have cheaper than 1$ per trigger pull ammo in my HD gun. I do also throw a few fmj's in the mag just in case.

The 9mm is a military cartridge.

You are only correct to a point. Yes, lots of the Military in the World use the 9mm cartridge but it's military configuration is FMJ. When you add a Hollow Point bullet to the 9mm lots more happens than just making the person "bleed".

The inquiry was on the "Best 9mm Round", not alternatives.

As for home defense, unless the house is invaded by a "gang" of home invaders, the biggest problem with shooting at an intruder is the aftermath. Patching the holes in the wall and cleaning up the "brown streak" that's left on the carpet as the intruder runs out of the house. Every once in a while the intruder meets someone who can use their weapon under pressure. Most of the time there are a lot of shots fired and nobody is hit. In the latter case it matters not what caliber the defense weapon is.

The 9mm is a military cartridge. The object of the 9mm and other small caliber weapons is not to kill the enemy but to make him bleed. A wounded soldier is off the field, the resources to treat and get him; corpsmen, rescue squad, doctors, medical staff, equiptment etc.. is a tremendous burden to the enemy. Kill him and someone just picks up his body later. This was the main reason for the switch to smaller calibers. You hurt the enemy more by not killing but injuring his men.
Its very hard to kill someone, the vast majority of handgun shot perps survive. A charging 230 lb man shot in the heart still has enough forward momentum to reach and deal a deadly blow.
I'm not going to advocate any particular weapon, just take in to account personal home self defense is a specific situation that requires tactical knowledge more than any particular weapon.

The military 9MM comments are based on the FMJ bullet design which does not relate whatsoever to modern civilian self defense loads that can and do mushroom to 2 x caliber

9MM FMJ leaves a .25 caliber wound channel, the good HP loads leave a .70 caliber wound channel.. that's like being hit with a musketball

45 ACP FMJ leaves a .36 caliber wound channel

Today I took out some gelatin to try our a few rounds. All the rounds were shot with 4 layers of denim in front of the gelatin. it was about 50 degrees out and I did not let the gelatin warm up after pulling it outta the ice box, so the gelatin was a little stiffer than it was supposed to be. so most of these rounds would have penetrated further and done more visible damage to the gelatin if it I wasn't so impatient

The first was an extreme shock round. It is frangible so in theory it should not go through to many walls and is supposed to dissipate all its energy in less than on foot in soft targets.

You can actually see where the round started to disintegrate in the target. The inside of the block was just mangled. The round only penetrated about 6-8 inches (i did not have a ruler) and did not exit the first block

Next was guard dog by federal

This round went a little low but when through 10 inches of gelatin and 1 jug of water before stopping in the 2nd jug. The round expanded perfectly as advertised. It cycle perfectly though my db9 which does not seem to feed hollow points real well. So I am now considering this ammo for that pistol

We also shot a Winchester bonded pdx1 124 +p I don't have a picture of it but the first round went through 2 of the gelatin blacks a jug of water and was no where to be found. The second try it got could 1/2 way through a third gelatin block. It expanded ok with some nice cutting edges but overall expansion seemed to be less than that of the 105gr guard dog. And it has way too much penetration for home defense(my opinion yours may differ)

We also shot some 45 acp.

first was a generic hollow point from usaammo. and one was a hornady xtp 185gr

I used the guard dog round as a reference. THe second round was the usaammo 230gr
The last round on the right was the hornady.

The expansion on the guard dog was equal to that of the 1st 45 and bigger than the 2nd.

Make sure to test your ammo. It might not be as effective as you think (bigger is not always better if your ammo sux)

These are all my observations and opinions your mileage may very. Please do not start a 45 vs 9mm argument.

sad part is that my after I got home today the mailman brought me speer gold dot 124gr as I pulled up the driveway.

guess I'll have to go out again

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR