JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market to buy my first pistol and I've decided I want a 9mm. Im looking for something thats really reliable that I can put thousands of rounds easily through without any problems. I'm not a fan of the plastic I'd like a gun thats attractive. Looking to spend less than 800 or so. I will be buying from a private seller so it doesnt have to be the latest model or anything.

From searching reviews online I'm looking at a Baby Eagle, CZ-75, or a Berretta 92f. I really like the look of 1911s but I don't know anything about them or how hard it would be to find a good one in 9mm. After I get some feedback I'm planning on going to the range and renting some pistols to see what I like the feel of.

What do you guys think, any recommendations?

What's wrong with polymer? You said this is your first pistol, so you don't have any personal experience with a modern polymer gun, so why dismiss them so readily?

Also, 9mm 1911's can be finicky.

If you want a steel 9mm, the Beretta 92 is a solid gun, as is the CZ, the Hi-Power, and the Sigs (226, 229, 228, 225, etc.). Depends on what you want and what fits your hand. I know you said you're going to buy in a private sale, but you can still go to a gun shop and handle a bunch of guns. You'll want to make sure that the gun feels good in your hand.

For $800 you can get a rock solid polymer pistol and enought range time and ammo to get good with it. :D Doesn't matter what gun you have without a lot of initial pratice it's not much better than a rock.

Ed

I just picked up a Beretta 92FS INOX and I love it! I haven't shot it yet, but I have had other Beretta 92s in the past. Great reliable gun in my opinion and I just love their look. I have polymer guns and I like them a lot, but there's something to be said for metal ones as well

cz, browning, beretta and sig are all top notch, any of them will serve you very well, but all feel and handle very differently. You really need to try and shoot each.

the browning is my favorite for looks, ergonomics, fun ishness and ease of carry...

For $800 you can get a rock solid polymer pistol and enought range time and ammo to get good with it. :D Doesn't matter what gun you have without a lot of initial pratice it's not much better than a rock.

Ed

I concur. Don't so easily dismiss polymer pistols. I'd recommend a Glock 17, 19, 34, or a Walther P99. I've got a 1st Gen. Walther P99 in .40S&W that's been nothing short of reliable, accurate, and durable. It's pretty darn attractive too.

Browning Hi Power, in nine or forty.
Classic, durable, reliable, very reasonably priced used, and new aren't too high either.. VERY accurate, and magazines available for anywhere from ten (Calif legal, NJ and a few other nazified places) to seventeen. Being all metal, they are durable, and well balanced. I think they "point" as naturally as anything does. The weight of the all metal construction helps reduce felt recoil considerably as against a lightweight. Most will fit into a holster designed for a smaller 1911 pistol.

You also might check out the Kahrs in nine..... they make all stainless and polymer models. I've hears not-too-good stuff about their newer super low priced CW series.. and seen a lot of them on offer cheap, used. Get either the P 9 or the PM 9 (stainless, or polymer, frame, respectively). The Hechler und Koch are also very fine pistols, and are made using a polymer frame.

BUT-- first go to some gunstores and handle them, find out what fits YOUR hand, points naturally, feels confortable. Then, try and find places where you can actually fire them.

I had a Springfield XD 9 I bought new... but after buying my first Hi Power almost on a whim, and firing that a fair bit, I sold the XD........

Personally, I prefer the polymer type. Personally I have a Glock 19 and I love it. I know I can rely on it day and night to not have any problems, and even though it's bigger than a subcompact, it's light enough I can carry it everyday.

I have shot several types of guns, even some that you are looking at, and personally I like a sig P22(fill in the blank) better than the Beretta 92fs, but both are fine guns. It's really a matter of deciding a couple things for yourself.

1:Does it feel comfortable in your hand to shoot?

2:If you are going to carry it, are you able to carry it and conceal it easily, so you will have it on you at all times. Remember, a gun you don't carry on you no matter how good, will do you no good if it's not with you.

3:Is it reliable/durable? All the guns you mentioned and a lot suggested are known for reliability, some have certain issues, such as the 9mm 1911s as mentioned, but almost all manufacturers listed there will serve you well.
You mentioned Beretta, as far as I know, currently the Beretta M9 holds the record for highest average round count (over 24,000 rounds) through it without a malfunction that was not ammo related of guns tested. It is an excellent firearm and you might want to look into that.

4:How much does it cost? and Can I find one around that I can afford?

5:Apparently you want things to look nice, so "is it pretty?" Is obviously on your list, this should come last after all the above. If your a collector and not using it to defend yourself on a daily basis, rather it be concealed carry or home defense, than this might rank a little higher, but for the majority of people, it should be at the bottom of your list.

A lot of it is personal preference, but the reliability and costs are ones you want to research into more, the rest is to get out to a gunshop/range and handle them, compare them, and above all shoot some of them.

If you are looking for a gun that will do what you want then the Taurus modle Pt 92 is a great 9 mm I had one that i put a lot of rnds through and no problem I liked it so well that I am buying a Taurus Modle PT 840 40 calibure.
I understand that you dont like the polymer guns but I have a Friend/Boss who works for the Railroad Police and he has a four glocks and my dad had a Glock 40 cal for his service weapon and was really impressed by the gun.
But you have the right idea go to a range rent a few diff guns and see what you like ask questions check you tube for diff reviews on diff guns that you are looking at Take you're time and be sure of the gun that you want to buy do alot of reserch on all the guns pick the 10 that you really like then eliminate the onse that you don't like till you get down to the last 3 then ask even more questions till you get to the one that you will buy I started out with 4 guns and i ended up with the Taurus Pt 840 beacuse it has a steel slide polymer frame amedexterus slide stop decocker mag catch you can google the Taurus Pt 840 Just remember do you're reserch and ask plenty of questions. Good Luck and good gun Hunting
Let me know what you end up with..:s0155:

H&K P30.

Check out this link on the P30 torture test. Fired 91,322 rounds in less than a year with only 15 cleanings, and 13 stoppages. The gun is still going and they plan to hit 100,000. In case you were wondering, 91,322 is an insane amount of ammunition, and unless you have tens of thousands of dollars to spend you will never shoot the gun that much. Even using cheap 9mm ammo, it would cost over $18,000 to go through that many rounds. Show me a Taurus that can do that! Granted, most guns will work just fine, but if you really want one of the "best" 9mm handguns as your original post stated, you need to look into this one.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2668

Sigs and CZ... but ultimately the 228!:s0155:

sig228044.jpg

I went to Bullseye range yesterday and tried out a cz 75 compact, a browning hi power and a sig 229 or 266 (i forgot). I liked the cz the best, it felt good in my hands and seemed to shoot the best. I didn't like the trigger pull at all on the browning and the sig felt too thick in my hands. I want to try shooting a full size cz next and see what kind of different models and options are available, so far the cz is looking the best.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top