JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Take her to a gun shop and let her sample a few things. You might even bring one of yours as partial trade if she decides to get something.

Normal times, absolutely agree!

Same goes for folks suggesting that the OP mentor & let her make her own choice out of everything available...that's the problem tho.

Current availability.

Best is to let her try all of what the OP has. If one of those works for her, and works well, done.

If none of those work well, then mayhaps see if local shops have available inventory which might work, and let her chose / buy.

You said that she was taking classes. So, I'd assume that upon graduation from the classes, she'll probably know, more or less, what she likes.

So, put your offerings on a table. Let her decide from there.

Funny story time:
I offered my son his choice of a 9mm from amongst three in my collection. He said, "I want a Glock". Rrrright.....I dont own a Glock. Kids now-a-days. Oh well, his loss.

Aloha, Mark

PS....recently he's been asking about my S&W 5906 and a Hi-Power.

Last Edited:
Give her a Smith and Wesson Lady Smith revolver in 38 Special. Model 642LS.
Five rounds, not too heavy, easy to learn to use and will definitely do the job.
This one, no cocking and no catching of the hammer on anything. Pull it, and pull the trigger.
You might want to keep the first cylinder on an empty chamber. But the other four will be enough.
1594643874157.png

My granddaughter wanted a Glock 43 because she saw it, held it and was "coached" by the owner. I asked her what other pistol she had tried and she said "none." I showed her a S&W M&P and she liked it better...much better and I bought her one. Her dad bought her an AR without her knowledge and she doesn't like anything about it and will probably never use it. So...take her to a good gun shop, let her look/feel and she'll pick the one she wants with your guidance as to caliber, quality and reputation.

Normal times, absolutely agree!

Same goes for folks suggesting that the OP mentor & let her make her own choice out of everything available...that's the problem tho.

Current availability.

Best is to let her try all of what the OP has. If one of those works for her, and works well, done.

If none of those work well, then mayhaps see if local shops have available inventory which might work, and let her chose / buy.

Let me throw something out there:

S&W airweight (hammerless) in 22 LR (if you overcome the trigger pull). Very easy to load and nothing to do but pull the trigger. Yes it is 5 rounds but a handgun can be fired from a pocket or from inside a purse and with a revolver there is no need to worry about: Charging, decocking, engaging/disengaging safeties, magazine release, slide lock, brass going down front/neck of a blouse or shirt, failure to eject, round not chambering/seating, magazine problems, stovepipe, slide bite and finally potentially less negligent & accidental discharges. If someone can be comfortable with a short barrell, double action revolver, the 22LR is not perfect but it makes a lot of noise and you are definitely armed and a force to be considered. You must be practice a lot and 22LR ammunition cost allows a lot of shooting for a minumum expense. Add a digital gun box that can be placed nearby when home or sleeping and can be moved out of sight when people visit as well as a good pair of noise cancelling ear protectors to prevent flinching at indoor ranges. Of course, let her buy it herself and when/if she upgrades she can give it to you.

I would HIGHLY disagree with the recommendations for a pocket sized gun like the Sig 365. Guns like that are hard to shoot, mitigate recoil poorly and arent even all that accurate. Size isn't everything and just because she's a female doesn't mean she should start out with a mouse gun. Frankly, micro-sized guns should be last on the list for any new shooter.

Let me throw something out there:

S&W airweight (hammerless) in 22 LR (if you overcome the trigger pull). Very easy to load and nothing to do but pull the trigger. Yes it is 5 rounds but a handgun can be fired from a pocket or from inside a purse and with a revolver there is no need to worry about: Charging, decocking, engaging/disengaging safeties, magazine release, slide lock, brass going down front/neck of a blouse or shirt, failure to eject, round not chambering/seating, magazine problems, stovepipe, slide bite and finally potentially less negligent & accidental discharges. If someone can be comfortable with a short barrell, double action revolver, the 22LR is not perfect but it makes a lot of noise and you are definitely armed and a force to be considered. You must be practice a lot and 22LR ammunition cost allows a lot of shooting for a minumum expense. Add a digital gun box that can be placed nearby when home or sleeping and can be moved out of sight when people visit as well as a good pair of noise cancelling ear protectors to prevent flinching at indoor ranges. Of course, let her buy it herself and when/if she upgrades she can give it to you.

I would HIGHLY disagree with the recommendations for a pocket sized gun like the Sig 365. Guns like that are hard to shoot, mitigate recoil poorly and arent even all that accurate. Size isn't everything and just because she's a female doesn't mean she should start out with a mouse gun. Frankly, micro-sized guns should be last on the list for any new shooter.
Good point.

Yep. My P365 will only do 2" 5-shot groups at 25 yards. Horrible accuracy.

IMG_20200212_142141603.jpg

So let me just reiterate, you can't buy a reasonably priced handgun in the Seattle area right now, she has to choose from my collection. CZ-75, M&P 2.0 or Canik SP9, all 9 mm. I also have an M&P .22, the one made in Germany. I suppose I could give her that as well, but it is not really a defensive weapon. It is a good beginner weapon though.

No matter what you think she will like, it's always better to let her pick it out....

Guns
Purses
Wallets
Dresses
Lingerie :D:p:rolleyes:

Out of all my pistols, my wife has claimed my Gen3 Glock 17. I would have never thought that would be the one she likes best. And she shoots it almost as well as I do.

Whatever fits your daughters hands, and she shoots best.

I tend to disagree that a CZ 75 is not a good beginner handgun. Again tho depends upon if it fits & the user can shoot it well. Or not.

I taught my wife and stepdaughter how to shoot a handgun. Started both with full-size DA/SA 9mm since recoil is minimal. After that moved on to Glock 17. Good to understand the differences of both types of firing actions.

In the case of a CZ75 I do agree that a CZ 75B wouldn't be the best gun for a beginner since it doesn't have a decocker. However, a CZ 75BD or variant like an SP-01 with decocker would be a great first handgun for learning to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top