JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The best round is the one you can put on target under pressure.
Most people say some sort of hollow point.I read an article not long ago that said Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch carries his personal defense gun loaded with ball ammo.That a shot to the heart with ball kills just as fast and effectively as a high priced controlled expantion hollow point bullet,when fired at very close range.
Just a thought.

The best round is the one you can put on target under pressure.
Most people say some sort of hollow point.I read an article not long ago that said Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch carries his personal defense gun loaded with ball ammo.That a shot to the heart with ball kills just as fast and effectively as a high priced controlled expantion hollow point bullet,when fired at very close range.
Just a thought.
My fear is over-penetration. I don't want a .45 slug going through drywall if I every need to use it.

I hear that.I also saw a tv show on sportsman channel where a guy shot through layers of drywall that were spaced a foot or so apart.the ball and hollow point bullets both went through several layers of the wall.The hollow point fragmented but still was deadly through more than 4 layers of wall.
The best looking tool for home defense,in the instance of the show was a 12 guage loaded with 7 1\2 bird shot.at close range the shot charge acts like a slug but dissapates rather quickly.Still went through 4 or 5 layers of wall though.The thing I didnt like about the test was the lack of insulation between the layers of wall.I think that would have made a considerable difference in the penetration.
Now back to the original post.I use any premium self defense labeled ammo that shoots good. through gun.I shoot 40 cal. for home defense,just for the capacity increase ofer my 1911.

<broken link removed>

Posted 4 July 2010

A Word of Caution about Hornady's Critical Defense Handgun Ammunition
- by Shawn Dodson

According to Steve Johnson, Hornady Marketing Communications Manager, the Critical Defense line of handgun ammunition:

"...is not designed to shoot through glass, is not designed to shoot through a car door, and is not designed to shoot through a wall. If you have to shoot through something like that in a personal defense situation you're probably going to jail."

-- NRA's American Guardian TV

WOW, ^ that makes a GREAT case for NOT buying Hornday ammo. Both for what it WON'T do AND their opinion that if you do you will "probably go to jail". That is some pure BS there.

What i use in my 45 "that works for me" is Hornady Critical Duty .45 ACP +P 220 gr JHP. It works in my 1911 5in and my CCW 3.3in
I also like the Winchester Ranger T 45 ACP 230gr JHP for the 1911 5in.
OW one thing when you are thinking about using HP or HP type ammo in your Simi auto pistol make sure you run at least a 100 rounds through it without a jam before you start using it as your go to ammo. There are a lot of finicky pistols out there when it comes to ammo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top