JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This ought to do the trick.

BUFFALO BORE Heavy .44 Magnum Ammo
305 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. @ 1,325 fps/M.E. 1,189 ft lbs
20 Round Box

ITEM 4A

Big Game up to 1000 lbs.

Heavy .44 Magnum Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
Yep, pretty much my thoughts, too. Anything from Buffalo Bore or Grizzly Ammo should work....also, Federal used to make some real killer .44 mag ammo.
It was a 300 gr. Cast Core bullet (hard LSWC) that left the barrel of a revolver @ 1160 ft.sec.
I figure, out of a rifle, should churn up around 2000 ft.lbs. ME....unfortunately, they stopped making it this year, so scour those gun shop shelves....Federal .44 mag "P44E".

Last Edited:
My new Rossi 92 in 44mag 'loves' the Magtech 240gr SP
More accurate than I had imagined.Out at 50yrds four were into about 1 1/2" and one pulled low; two were fighting for the same hole. It was the first five after a white bead front sight change over. Speed was 1180fps stated probably from a revolver. ???what speed from a 20" barrel.
I have a thing for large bore soft points, ain't no stopping them...

Edit: measured 1" for four, fifth was 2" lower. Sorting out the ivory bead.
The 1180 FPS was from a 4" revolver.

Last Edited:
44 Mag was my very first hunting rifle the Ruger 44 deer slayer, my dad bought it for me in 1966/67 i think, i took about 2 deer every season for 5 years with it , it would know them over and knock them down most of the time under 80 yards, i was just using whatever ammo our local gun shoppe sold nothing glamorous im sure. Gawd i wish i had kept that rifle i would think with Buffalo bore ammo you could reach out to 200 yards and pretty much stop them dead in their tracks.

Last Edited:
My 240 gr XTP hand loads chrono at 1760 FPS out of my 18" barreled encore rifle. with a aimpoint sight hits at 150 yrds are no problem.

I'm old school!

Good 'ol Elmer Keith 429421, 240 grain cast, in front of 24 grains of 2400. Outta a S&W Model 29 8 3/8 @ 50-75 yards, beating the sage brush while it sits in my old Safariland Shoulder Rig! Took 3 this way and nary a problem! Nothing like hunting with a handgun!

Actually, as the OP showed us, just about any .44 mag load is good for hunting deer.
Even the original loading that pushes a 240 jacketed bullet to 742 ft./lbs. ME (handgun) is enough to knock down a nice buck.
In comparison, a favourite deer hunting rifle in the later 19th and early 20th centuries was the '73 Winchester chambered for .44-40 and it only made 640 ft./lbs. ME.
...so don't think you need to go all mazzo on some "high powered hunting round".
.44 mag does pretty fair, all on its own. Handgun or rifle, regardless.

Dean

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews