JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag and it's been flawless for over 20 years. My first choice would be a Ruger of some flavor, probably a GP100 in 6" would be a wonderful firearm. S&W is another brand I'd put money on. The 686 is a beautiful gun, no question there. Those two brands would be my 'top tier' choices.

Laugh all you want, but I bought a Taurus .357 "seven shooter" in stainless some time back, and its been a wonderful wheel gun. The thing I hear about Taurus is that there are good ones and bad ones....well, I clearly got a good one. Trigger is good, action is solid, accuracy is better than I can shoot. While this is the wheel gun lots of people like to bag on, I have nothing bad to say about this one.

As they say, one guy's opinion......

I sure love my 686. Is it the best? I would rather have a Dan Wesson .357max

I have read in the past that the 357MAX round was really too hot of a round for the frame itself... something about flame cutting (it has been a while). Perhaps a stainless frame might stand up to all that powder burn (essentially an extra long 357 case). There is a recent rumor that CZ is going to come out with new Dan Wesson revolvers. One can only hope.

I'm a Ruger fan, but when I decided that I wanted a 357 DA revolver, I chose the 686+ in a 4".
I compared the Smith and the Ruger side by side. The Smith was slightly better in finish. The triggers were similar, but the 7th shot of the + and the round butt, although it was concealed by the factory Hogue grips, tipped the scales in favor of the Smith.
It's one gun I wish I'd not let go...

Depends on usage. I am very happy my Ruger SP101 3". Replaced the front sight, but the rest is perfect from the factory. I shoot it in both 357 and 38SP +P. The latter feels like .22s. This is a big change from my experience with a SW 637 snub nose, which I also shoot in .38+P. If you have real large hands a GP100 may be the better option. If you want to hit things beyond 15 yards, maybe a longer barrel. For SD and/or DC the 3 inch is perfect.

Depends on usage. I am very happy my Ruger SP101 3". Replaced the front sight, but the rest is perfect from the factory. I shoot it in both 357 and 38SP +P. The latter feels like .22s. This is a big change from my experience with a SW 637 snub nose, which I also shoot in .38+P. If you have real large hands a GP100 may be the better option. If you want to hit things beyond 15 yards, maybe a longer barrel. For SD and/or DC the 3 inch is perfect.
Preach it. That extra inch is what allowed Elmer to pop that deer in the neck at 800 yards.

Lol.. "to get the most out of the cartridge..".
Many consider the Manurhin MR 73 to be superior to the Korth.

View attachment 247241

Me, I'll take the same money's worth a K's, all day long.

View attachment 247242

my MR73 doesn't look as nice but I'm not afraid to go and shoot it for fear of "ruining the value" ...

4A0755BA-0D13-4F1B-A74F-E860DD80516B_zpsevtflvpu.jpg

A couple of model 27-2's up top with 8 3/8" and 5" barrels, a 4" 19 no dash, the MR73, a 4" Python circa 72 I think, and a 3 1/2@ 27-2 at the bottom.

The Python is nice and all, but not worth anything like the current asking, makes me not want to shoot it .... My favorite is the S&W 27/28. Fits my hands perfectly, rock solid and very handsome to boot. the 8 3/8 is as accurate as you could ask and I just look incredibly lovely shooting it with one hand whilst holding a snifter of fine brandy in the other ..A 6" model 28-2 for around $450-$500 would be a great choice

14E16183-5D13-4FDF-A6B1-29E72F396529_zps4bqfsdgb.jpg

Really like my 28s in both 4" & 6". Very solid & smooth too. My wife's 586 has a better trigger, but it was somebody's competition gun, so that's probably not a fair comparison.

I went and bought one of the original L frames in 1979 (IIRC). A model 581 fixed sight blue finish great gun!! sadly I no longer have it, but keeping my eyes open for another.

I have had 3 Pythons...2 6" and an 8". All were factory customs with the Eliason sights and action jobs. Now they're gone and I am left with a 4" 686. It shoots nearly as nice as the Colts. My first .357 was a Security Six 4" that was a beast till I installed Pachmeyer grips. Still have the Smith.:)

A handgun is useless to me (my opinion only) if i can't carry it concealed. That means mostly 5-shot when it comes to revolvers. That said, i really regret selling my GP 100 Wiley Clapp w/ 3" barrel. Great Novak sights and really good trigger. It carried pretty well too in a Kramer IWB.

I have a GP100 6" but I don't shoot it much, I don't shoot my Model 629 at all. I like my '68 Blackhawk 4" and my snubbie Taurus 605 for shooting. Don't get me wrong the GP100 shoots great, it just shoots so much better than my capability.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top