JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Python and other high dollar pistols are wonderful indeed, but for a pistol I would intend to carry and use I'd get the Ruger GP100 and call it a day. I'm a fan of transfer bars as it makes decocking safer and I like that the firing pin is better protected.

The thing I like the most is the grip style - the cowboy style horn grip is the worst thing ever and virtually every revolver still has vestiges of that uncomfortable appendage that makes the pistol harder to hold and control. That is the only reason I sold my Redhawk. The GP100 has a nice modern grip that gets the job done much better - match champion model shown below:

1755.jpg

While not as nice as some of the pistols mentioned it's good looking, made well and you don't have to worry about putting a scratch in it.

jbett98 wrote - 'Here's my best. Only 18 rds fired through it since 1982.'

...and that, for me, would be the problem. This -

upload_2016-11-27_19-55-7.png

fired upwards of 150,000 rounds before it went for destruction.

tac

Last Edited:
In 1997 and 1998, the British government, having seized just over a hundred thousand handguns that had been legally owned by 55,000 handgun shooters, destroyed them. Very few survived, but three of mine went into the National collection now located at the Royal Armouries in Leeds, some went to people who could own them in other countries, including the USA, and I had a few deactivated.

tac

Plenty of beef on the Rugers. Aside from surface wear and tear, has anyone ever seen a truly worn-out Ruger?

Nope, but if you ever happened you just send it back to Ruger and they will send it back to you fixed and ready to go. Only thing they won't fix is the frame and only because it's the part with the serial number.

It was my understanding that the Trooper was the work/carry gun for officers and the Python was the upscale revolver for those that wanted something fancier? I recently bought a Colt 357, seems like a nice handgun. I'm still waiting to put it on paper and see how it shoots, maybe tonight.

Bryan

As much as I hankered after a S&W-19, back in the day I couldn't afford one when I first put on my badge, so I bought and carried for quite a few years a Colt Trooper. It was a good if plain Jane gun, never failed once to go bang and as long as I did my part would hit what I pointed it at & always qualified in the top 10% in the department. I just never fell in love with it, and after I got the chance I replaced it, but I don't remember what with. Later I finally got a S&W-19 and my ex stole that, so when I retired my Red Label O/U I used for anything shotgun related, including official gunner at pointer retrieving trials. (We used to raise Vizsla pointing dogs and trialed them. That is another whole different story and too long to get into here.) I traded it and a Firestar pistol for another S&W-19 and I'm happy taking it out and fondling it now and then. Since ammo is coming down some I may even shoot it some that would be fun.
Photo taken right after I got it, I might even replace my avatar with it, check out the beard, the BOSS gets grumpy when I let it get that long. LOL
Gabby

Gabby and new Toy1_.jpg

Last Edited:
I've never been a wheel gun man but even I like that!!:)

Don't knock them if you haven't really tried a good one, like the 2 just shown.
They are really great fun to shoot. Get one with a well worn in trigger or one touched up by a good smith and they can be extremely accurate in a good shooters hands. Usually the guns are more accurate than most shooters are capable of. Myself included, with age has come trembling hands so I'm just pleased if I can keep 6 shots between the pockets.
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top