JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just to help put things into perspective. The Python was a "Carry" and "Work" gun for Police Officers, so was the S&W when we bought those.
The Python, a vent rib on a 4" barrel. How absurd, but it's just the coolest fluckin revolver. That's a nice one you have there. The S&W ain't to shabby, either. :s0155:

This is the one I wish I had back. P1010003.JPG P1010002.JPG

Truth!!!
Wish I'd invested more in them then. I have never owned a snake gun, and at this stage I probably never will. To me, the Colt Diamondback is the very picture of a perfectly proportioned, perfectly beautiful revolver!
Also, IMHO, S&W's revolvers aren't as quality as they once were, and Ruger builds to a better standard than they once did! Again, just MHO!
This darned thread has got me hankering to replace my beloved S&W 686 6"! I've got enough autoloaders for the rest of my days, but only three revolvers left! :(

View attachment 319757

Here's one of them. S&W .38spl (+P), 3", "J" frame.

Here's another one that actually puts my post in the right category.
A S&W m 66-3 .357 magnum.

IMG_0481.JPG

Just to help put things into perspective. The Python was a "Carry" and "Work" gun for Police Officers, so was the S&W when we bought those.
It was my understanding that the Trooper was the work/carry gun for officers and the Python was the upscale revolver for those that wanted something fancier? I recently bought a Colt 357, seems like a nice handgun. I'm still waiting to put it on paper and see how it shoots, maybe tonight.

Bryan

I will agree that not every Police Department issued Pythons and that the Trooper was probably more widely used but some departments did in fact issue Pythons and lots of Officers chose to purchase them because at that time a "working man" could afford one. That was really all I was trying to say. The Trooper is an awesome pistol, as is the Lawman, the 357, the Diamondback, Police Positive..................I love all of Colt's Revolvers and yours looks very very nice! Here is an interesting article that mentions the Python and it's place in Law Enforcement if you are interested.

The Best Revolver Ever Made? Colt's Python-Review - GunsAmerica Digest

No sure if it's been mentioned but I handled Kimbers new .357 the other day. Very similar in size and weight to an sp101, but with a six shot cylinder and an excellent trigger. Only downer were the black sights but that's just a pref thing
Was hard not to cough up the $800.

No sure if it's been mentioned but I handled Kimbers new .357 the other day. Very similar in size and weight to an sp101, but with a six shot cylinder and an excellent trigger. Only downer were the black sights but that's just a pref thing
Was hard not to cough up the $800.
Yeah. That's the other downside.

Simple answer I own a S&W model 19 K frame 3rd revision with 4" barrel. Extremely hard to beat, the 686 is basically an update of it. A couple of inches longer will give a few extra FPS, but back in my day if you carried a gun all day in a patrol car, only a 4" fit the bill.
You can't go wrong with a good Smith!
A few years back they started being PC and added a locking feature and some other un-needed additions. I would look for a good used gun made prior to that time. That is one thing I would spank S&W for doing to really good firearms!

Any of you big boys ever pack a S&W Highway Patrol, great gun but heavy as heck which is why they went out of favor with LE.
I owned one for a while and passed it along for something lighter.

Simple answer I own a S&W model 19 K frame 3rd revision with 4" barrel. Extremely hard to beat, the 686 is basically an update of it. A couple of inches longer will give a few extra FPS, but back in my day if you carried a gun all day in a patrol car, only a 4" fit the bill.
You can't go wrong with a good Smith!
A few years back they started being PC and added a locking feature and some other un-needed additions. I would look for a good used gun made prior to that time. That is one thing I would spank S&W for doing to really good firearms!
Sad what lawyers have done for the gun makers. The damn Mag safety on my MKIII is a PITA and to me is totally stupid. It's on my list of things to do. Remove it.

image.jpeg When I started in law enforcement back in the 70's I had a 4" model 19 Smith. After a couple of years I started carrying a 6" Colt Python. It was like having a cabine with you. For rural law enforcement it was the ticket, other deputies carried 6" PPC revolvers.
Today I still have a model 19-3 around the house. View attachment 515975

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads