JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Overall, for strength, reliability, build quality, factory trigger, finish, price, etc. my vote is for a Pre-Lock, Pre-MIM, S&W 686+

Mine w/ a 6" barrel and factory Hogue grips is at the very top of my "never sell and never trade" list.

S&W M27 w/ 4" bbl. 327PC is a close 2nd. I love "N" frames.

IMG_0178.JPG

Last Edited:
Overall, for strength, reliability, build quality, factory trigger, finish, price, etc. my vote is for a Pre-Lock, Pre-MIM, S&W 686+

Mine w/ a 6" barrel and factory Hogue grips is at the very top of my "never sell and never trade" list.

Mine was a 4" and I wish I'd never sold it. Got blindsided by the 10mm bug. Not what I expected it to be and by then, the Smith was gone...

I have a 4" 686+ and it is my goto trail gun. Its lifetime partner is a pre-Remlin Marlin 1894C. I disabled the lock in the 686 without issue by Dremeling down the catch part to be flush with the locking lever and then put the lever part back in ... maybe 15 minutes all told and stoned and polished all the contact parts in the process.

For the value and built like a tank, 5 inch Gp100 stainless. Very accurate.
I agree with Salps on the GP100. The 6" barrel seemed a bit too heavy on the front end, but the 5" feels just right to me. Stainless is easier to keep the rust off. A cowboy holster for the farm, a crossdraw holster for town - either way, it's a great gun.

A Buffalo Bore 180 hard cast from this gun will drop a deer where it stands.

IMG_0172.JPG

I agree with Salps on the GP100. The 6" barrel seemed a bit too heavy on the front end, but the 5" feels just right to me. Stainless is easier to keep the rust off. A cowboy holster for the farm, a crossdraw holster for town - either way, it's a great gun.

A Buffalo Bore 180 hard cast from this gun will drop a deer where it stands.

View attachment 318187

To really get the full potential from the .357 Magnum you really need to go over 4" barrel length. This site is great: BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results

Here is their muzzle energy graph by barrel length for different popular ammo. Tells a very interesting story. . .

357mag.png

S&W 686+ 2 3/4"(7 holes),S&W 327 M&P TR8 (357mag, 8 holes), and the Governor 45acp (45LC, 45acp, 410 shotshells, 6 holes), IMG_0404.JPG once a week range trips....Aahhhh! Life is Good!

I have on my wishlist a GP100... A buddy of mine has one and its a sweet shooter. Mind you, it took about 300 rounds before it broke in and became a good shooter, but it definitely shoots well now.

However, my personal favorite is my 6" royal blue Python... I can put 6 shots through the same hole at 10 yards all day long with that sweetheart... That being said, I bought it used in 1982 for $400. To replace it today would cost me a kidney, so I shoot it once a year just to fall in love with it all over again.
For a nice every day shooter though, my money's on the GP100

I might add that these are both from a time (70's) that a working man could afford to buy them......lol

Truth!!!
Wish I'd invested more in them then. I have never owned a snake gun, and at this stage I probably never will. To me, the Colt Diamondback is the very picture of a perfectly proportioned, perfectly beautiful revolver!
Also, IMHO, S&W's revolvers aren't as quality as they once were, and Ruger builds to a better standard than they once did! Again, just MHO!
This darned thread has got me hankering to replace my beloved S&W 686 6"! I've got enough autoloaders for the rest of my days, but only three revolvers left! :(

IMG_0346.JPG

Here's one of them. S&W .38spl (+P), 3", "J" frame.

Last Edited:
I shot a very nice (and early) 4" Mod 66 over the weekend. It had a Wolff spring kit and had almost TOO light of a trigger but I put six into close to 2" at 17 yards and with a little more practice could have done better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top