JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I'll chime in first on this. My preference would be a winchester model 70, A classic or a push feed model. A couple of reasons why, a flat bottomed reciever with an integral recoil lug. For 300 win mag this is a more rigid reciever with more mass, less likely to stretch. More area for bedding too.

A second choice would be a Zastava, they also have a similar reciever.

A round reciever with a separate recoil lug is easy to mass produce, and would probably suffice. But, just not for me.

If buying new, the Weatherby Vanguard is a tough choice to beat in that price range. If it was me I would buy used. Most people don't like to shoot a 300WM enough to shoot out the barrel. For some reason in the NW sporter rifles don't seem to hold their value, so I'm betting you could find a high quality rifle for a great price.

The best 300WM is a used one. Guys buy 'em and shoot 'em a couple times,then sell them. 300WM isn't the most popular caliber around. There are plenty used guns for sale.No need to pay the price for a new one.
Thewre is one at the local gun shop,used,that I'll pick up next year as it will still be there.
BTW hunting rifles will be plentiful right about now.

Those Tikka and Weatherby rifles will probably never sell for the 500-600 that you are looking to spend.
If you want one in that price range, look for a Savage. They make a pretty good rifle. Some police depts. are using them, and they cost less.

Ive seen the T3 Lites as low as $450 and I believe Cabelas has Vanguards for $429.99 right now. The Savages are nice rifles too. Good shooters, easy to change barrels, but ugly as a lawn rake. Actually there are a lot of good shooting low cost rifles nowdays. That isnt the problem. Ugly is the problem. Everything is plastic and matte finish to keep the cost down. I aint real good looking myself. Got an ugly wife. I refuse to own an ugly gun.

Ive seen the T3 Lites as low as $450 and I believe Cabelas has Vanguards for $429.99 right now. The Savages are nice rifles too. Good shooters, easy to change barrels, but ugly as a lawn rake. Actually there are a lot of good shooting low cost rifles nowdays. That isnt the problem. Ugly is the problem. Everything is plastic and matte finish to keep the cost down. I aint real good looking myself. Got an ugly wife. I refuse to own an ugly gun.

I have an older Savage with a new wood laminate stock you can have for $400. I don't like the Vanguards because of their plastic stocks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top