JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
probably the most expensive:s0112:

naw i really don't know i use remington cor loks and they do the job, but im sure if you want to spend more you can get better.

but i'm sure results will vary depending on rifle and rifle twist ect as far as fine tuning it

my browning bar is more accurate with 165 cor lok that it is with 180 cor lok so i would be interrested in this as well as i perfer 180 and if there happens to be a more accurate 180 out there for the browning i would like to know ,but you might also mention what your shooting it out of so maybe someone who has experimented has come up with the best formula but still you may need to experiment on your own as far accuracy as far as penatration and expansion every brand will claim they are the best they all about do the same some perhaps better than others

What have you tried? What gun/model?

Winchester, Federal, Remington?

My top choice are my own reloads....since I've got them dialed in for my gun, but that's probably not much help for you and your gun.

Honestly for a guy that is going to hunt with over the counter ammo the old green box rem works well or the Hornady interlock is another good bullet, another good bet and maybe the best is the partition. I prefer 165 grain for both elk and deer mostly so I don't have to re sight in. I think 180 is over kill for Bt but then that is your choice. My hand loads for this elk season are 165 partitions. Then there is the Accubond and barnes..its unlimited.

I have a Savage 110 30-06 Springfield I'll be using for Deer and Elk season this year. I am a good shot and the Rifle is pinned at 100 yards. Just want to hear what other rounds people might suggest using.

I picked up some Federal 165g triple shock at bi-mart because it was the only thing they had there, last box too... :( I put some Remington rounds threw it a week ago and they worked pretty well to.

Barnes bullets are great and will open and penetrate any North American game animal. Only disadvantage (and I dont think it is) is they take up more case space so less powder capacity. Bottom line is there are many good premium bullets out there that will penetrate well, and that is what you need on large animals like elk, moose etc. A direct hit on the shoulder of an elk with a cheaper factory bullet can cripple an animal and it will escape,,,,,a well placed "cheaper" bullet behind the shoulder is a dead elk/deer after it goes maybe 50 yards.

I put some 180gr. Remington Core-Lokt threw it today and it shot pretty nice, was a few inches high compared to the Federal that I was shooting. Shot a box of 20 off and the Rifle was still really clean.

Dad and I have had very good results with Remington Core-lokt 180gr and my rifle shoots the 150 gr Remington's like it's a true target rifle. They are usually one of the lesser expensive boxes of ammo on the shelf, too. As long as you pick an appropriate weight of bullet for what you're hunting I doubt that you'll be disappointed.
These days Dad shoots Hornady Light Magnum with the Inter-loc 180gr. I use handloads with Remington cases, RL22 powder and 180gr Noslers. Ballistic Tip for deer. Partitions for elk. If'n I was smart, I'd probably just load the Accubond for everything, but's what's the fun in that?
When it comes to Barnes bullets, I had a very hard time trying to get them up to typical velocity. They shot OK but had pretty dramatic point of impact change compared to any other bullet I've shot out of that rifle. That's no big deal if that's all you shoot.

Elbillbo is correct what game are you intending to shoot! I shoot 150gr Deer and 165 or 180 Elk. I have the same rifle along with Browning A bolt Medallion, Benelli R1, CZ 54 and it is under rated fellow Savage owner will tell you the same. Here is my experience with that rifle synthetic @22" Federal Power shok @2touching 1/2" groups 100 yrds, Core lok 1/2-3/4" Win X 1" all 150gr. !80gr CoreLok is accurate 1/2" BENCH once proficient on bench off hand I was able to shoot 12oz water bottle at 60yrd-100yrds clay pigeon alike. Minds you your game vitals are dinner plate size 6"-8" Shot placement have the final say!

I forgot to mentioned my load for all four 30-06 came in 1/4" to same hole touching at 100 yrds. Neck size for each rifle IMR 4350 55.5gr CCI 200 Hornady Interlock for target and Nosler Partition for hunting. Sometime mag primers for cold climate burn my powder complete and deliver velocity I need! Browning came in most accurate and consistent by the way of all the tests over last 11 years

I shoot the 180 grain for everything so I don't have to adjust my zero. Accubonds are for big critters and ballistic tips for not so big critters. They both fly the same for me. 48.5 gr IMR 4064, Remington primer, in a Federal case. It shoots under 1/2 MOA out to 300yards. With a 21" barrel, I'm getting 2680 fps.

For those that don't have the option of reloading, Federal makes some decent loads in their premium line. The price is premium as well.

I have 1/2 lbs 4064 left I will try your load and see what results I will get off my gun. I had tried 180 nos partition before but shot only as far as 150 yrds 1/2-3/4 MOA. Thank you for sharing your load. I live in NE PDX where can I test 200 yrds and beyond.

Tri County Gun Club has 1,2,3,and 600yd ranges.....very nice facility....anytime you can get 1/2 minute out of a factory rifle you have a miracle in your hands....keep it because custom guns costing 2000+ can barely hold to that. 2 minute is plenty good for big game at reasonable ranges(less than 300) 30.06 is all most anyone needs for most N American big game. I would feel better with a 338 in bear country(griz) or possibly moose

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top