JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Savage .243 which shoots fine with cheap rounds for targets, but want to sight it for a specific round for deer/coyote hunting (I'm new to hunting, not shooting).

Does anyone have any experience with any of the different rounds available for hunting with? I keep being told heavier will be better for deer, but faster will be better for coyote.

If you're reloading, your bullet selection is many I use nosler or hornady. I use 70 or 80 grain bullets for coyote, for deer hunting I would use 90 to100gr. personally you have a lot to choose from.
But that's what I use for my
Remington 700 .243cal.

I have a Savage as well. Stick with the heavier stuff. I tried the lighter varmint bullets in mine, horrible grouping. Wrong twist for the light stuff. My Savage shoots the factory Remington 100 gr core-lokt pretty well. Good deer bullet, will work on yotes as well,,,

Of course rolling your own, will give you a better choice of bullets. :winkkiss:

In my Remington 700 I use 75 grain V-max for varmints and 105 A-max for deer and long range shooting. The 75 g V-max shoot under half inch. The 105 g A-max are about 3/4 inch.

I'm with the quarter-bore guy for just about the best all-around bullet for reloading in the .243: 95g Nosler Ballistic Tip. Personal experience shows it devastating on deer and antelope, and if the long range shot presents itself, this bullet with its weight and length will outperform all the lighter bullets for trajectory at distance. That is the bullet of choice if a guy is loading only one "do-all" load for his .243.

I believe the OP was asking about factory loads, however, and in that regard I would suggest he gravitate toward the "premium" grades of factory ammo to realize the very best from his .243. The garden variety stuff (often on sale during hunting season) has really shown dismal accuracy in my four .243's, almost without exception. Dismal accuracy for these discussions would be 1.5-3" groups out of a good bolt gun. Shop for the best, try everything, and today's high-grade factory fodder can rival nearly any handload for accuracy and performance. Current ammunition (top flight grade) is lightyears ahead of what was available even 10 years ago.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top