JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HI Nick are you referring to the gun, extended barrel, or magazine 15 round extenders being out of stock? If standard barrel gun is wha tyou are looking for I see CDDN has them. Over priced compared to before though as is everything in this panic time. I do see them for sale used also but make sure to get the Q version not the earlier version if possible. THey changed the recoil spring (and maybe something else?) to make them reliable with more types of ammo. I have run some pretty crappy ammo thorugh mine including some 10-15 year old blazer where some of them sounded like a cap gun they were so weak and no cycling issues at all.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-p22q-22lr.html

I see this place has in stock also but I have never bought from them:
Thanks, but I am actually looking for the PPQ clone

wm_12747240.jpg

Walther Arms Inc PPQ M2 .22 22LR

UPC:723364207006
MPN:5100302

As a training and transition tool, the Glock, or M&P or Taurus should fill the bill. For nostalgic 22 SA plinker fun and informal target shooting I am really enjoying a Buckmark Camper with a F/O front sight (aftermarket). Trigger slicked right up and it is showing it self to have good accuracy. It feels like a cross between a Colt's Woodsman and a Hi Standard 22. I'm keeping it! Mags are plentiful and fairly inexpensive. Looking for a holster. They can interchange barrels and I'm thinking of reducing from the 5.5" to a 4". Like the old High Standards used to do, one bolt.

If you're looking for something fun, the Walther PPK/S is a good one. The only issues mine has had have been with some 20 year old Remington. It's got more kick than some bigger guns, but still very little. The barrel is ready for a thread adapter ($15 I think) OTB. It's MOA is DA/SA, slide mounted safety/decocker, so it has extra safety features as well.

I have several of the 22s mentioned so far and there are some good ones. I'd like to throw my 2 cents in with a handgun that has surprised me with reliability, feel, function and accuracy.

The browning 1911-22 has been hands down my go to. It has run every ammo I've thrown at it(even suppressed) with no issues.

It feels good in the hand, is accurate and a pure delight to shoot. Not the cheapest option, but I'd run it up against any of them.

I have a RST-4 that I bought new in 1973. Being a MKI, it is slightly idiosyncratic, a reflection of William Batterman Ruger, but therein lies some of the allure. As with virtually all Rugers, I cannot shoot it enough to wear it out.

I have a RST-4 that I bought new in 1973. Being a MKI, it is slightly idiosyncratic, a reflection of William Batterman Ruger, but therein lies some of the allure. As with virtually all Rugers, I cannot shoot it enough to wear it out.
I love the looks of the rugers and they r reliable but I found mine boring to shoot. But then I never got into competitive shooting or the like. Love the looks of them though I think I put one or 2 magazines through this one at the most and then sold it. I loved the lines and grip angle on it, reminiscent of Luger navy or artillery barrel pistol.

EE2F272E-C317-4936-90E2-405784BA3FC4.jpeg

Last Edited:
Hey all,

I have a Ruger Mk IV that is great for plinking and range fun, but want to find a good .22 pistol for teaching new shooters. I was excited about the Glock 44, but saw a lot of negative reviews and was advised to steer clear.

Have also been looking at the Browning Buckmark.

Any suggestions from the group, based on your knowledge and experience?
I have a Glock 44 and am very happy with it. I have put over 1000 rounds of various types of ammo thru it with less than 5 malfunctions which is pretty good for cheap bulk ammo.

My Kel Tec P17 has been utterly reliable. I have several hundred (if not 500 rounds) through it. The only flaw has been likely shooter induced.
At a cost of $160ish, it's one of the most affordable 22lr semi automatics you can get.

Yup, saw "need a .22 to train new shooters" and said "Taurus TX22!" Great pistol. I have a PT1911 in .38 Super I am enamored with as well. I've had several Taurus handguns over the years, and I never felt they were any worse than any others. Colt has turned out junk, S&W has turned out garbage, and some of what I've seen lately, that might be "continues to turn out garbage", and there are no Colt/S&W haters waiting to dump on them at every turn, but say you like Taurus anything and be ready to dive for cover, usually from people who have never fired a Taurus when pinned down!

I recommend a solid and reliable firearm for a beginner. A "beginner" doesnt need something cheap, that may have issues...The Ruger MKIV is perfect, easy to clean as well. Also SR 22 or Browning Buckmark. The Victory is not easy for a beginner to take apart and put together for cleaning.

My vote is TX22. I have one and love it. With ammo the way it is I have switched to .22 for practice. I also have a Buckmark and it shoots nice but kind of awkward to rack the slide and it doesn't use a standard holster. I also have a Sig Mosquito that is complete garbage. It gave me a bad taste of .22LR pistols. My Taurus TX 22 has close to 700 rds through it and it runs awesome, FTF less than I have fingers on one hand, and I think its now broken in. With true Taurus fashion the only issue I had was the adjustable rear sight came loose right away. I recommend tearing it down to inspect, checking all fasteners and lube it before first use and you are good to go! Fits my Safariland GLS holster too.

Rugers need the trigger stop. Makes all the difference, as they tend to have a lot of over travel.

Although, I must say that a Connecticut High-Standard is awfully nice to shoot. Really hard to wear them out, but they are trending upward.

IMG_2767.JPG

Is that anything like the Glock 7? :p

Ah crap, good catch. I was thinking 70 series and 92fs at the same time. Guess my wife is right; I can't multitask.

So, yep. The B 72fs. It's made of porcelain. Gets right through metal detectors. And it's definitely worth more than you make in a month.

Hey all,

I have a Ruger Mk IV that is great for plinking and range fun, but want to find a good .22 pistol for teaching new shooters. I was excited about the Glock 44, but saw a lot of negative reviews and was advised to steer clear.

Have also been looking at the Browning Buckmark.

Any suggestions from the group, based on your knowledge and experience?

"Best" is one of those overused and 100% subjective terms. Personally, I hate Ruger Mk1-Mk3 pistols but wouldn't mind trying the Ruger Mk IV. That said, it all boils down to what you want to do with it.

I divide .22lr pistols into four categories:

1. General plickers, target and hunting guns. Your Ruger Mk4 and the Browning Buckmark you mentioned would be prime examples. In this category, I'd choose a Colt Woodsman.

2. Defensive training guns. Here the obvious answer is getting what matches your CCW handgun, if you're packing a Glock get the G44…S&W M&P, Walther, S&W J-frame Ruger LCR/LCP, whatever…same deal. Here I'd do a G44, S&W 18 and S&W 43C.

3. Mouse guns. Self-explanatory. Rimfire defensive guns really are not my thing, for a mouse gun I'd choose a .32 Seecamp but since this is a 22lr thread I'd just do the afore mentioned S&W 43C and call it a fat mouse.

4. Out of my realm competition grade. I have no suggestions.

I would not worry about the negative reviews Glock 44, it was bound to have growing pains and did but they are pretty much worked out now. They are runners but like any semi auto rumfire can have ammo preferances. If you were excited about it, jump on it.

To "teach new shooters" "the fundamentals" and as a "transition" to a 9mm down the road....sorry, i didnt read the original post as carefully as I should have....and maybe others here as well...but I'd go with something like the Walther PPQ 22, or Ruger SR22, or the Glock 22 (but as a trainer myself I have had a number of women and kids who don't like the feel of Glock grips)...the Taurus TX 22 is super economical and a viable option when they were $250 or less, but I dont feel the quality is there at $325 or more as there are better options at or near that price point (I sold mine as I wasnt sold on it).

The traditional way to teach beginners was on a single shot rifle. the beginner can more easily control where the barrel is pointing on a rifle. And isn't going to accidentally load the chamber of a single shot with a gun with no mag. These days, semiautomatic rifles are so good, few people buy a single shot rifle for their kid or beginner, as he/she will soon want a semiauto.. They are more likely to start a beginner on a 10/22, a gun enjoyable for a lifetime. But that's skipping a large stage in traditional gun training.

Once you have decided to start someone on a semiauto, you are choosing a gun that they will accidentally point at you or others without many hours of supervised gun handling practice with an empty gun. So you need to provide that training. Then by choosing a semi auto, you've chosen the style of gun that novices find easiest to load accidentally or think gun is unloaded when it isn't. So you need to have them do a lot of loading and unloading gun, handing it to you, watching you check the chamber, you hand it back, they check chamber , etc. The pattern of controlling barrel at all times and checking chamber whenever you are handed or pick up a gun should be completely automatic.

After that, it hardly matters which semiautomatic you get. It should be full size, not small. Beginners need to be cheered along by shooting well. Small guns are hard to shoot. Get something that fits their hand and points naturally for them. Meaning yes, they must go to the gun store with you.

What this forum can tell you is which makes and models are reliable and don't jam all the time. This forum can't tell you what gun will fit someone else's hand and druthers. If gun is for you, get whatever you want as long as it's full size. If its for someone else, take them to the gun store.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads