JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the negatives of the Glock 44 get overstated just because thats how the gun crowd gets. After the Sig drop fire issue people acted like every Sig ever made was going to go off if you looked at it funny. That being said the main issue I found with the G44 is the mags which can usually be remedied by loading the mag, pulling the tabs on the side, then turning it over and shaking it so the rounds align at a steeper angle. Stupid workaround but it works. Overall it's not a bad gun IMO and it's what I've taught my kids on. I could be bias though since I own one.
I've shot 3 different 44s. Each one was a miserable experience. I tried loading the mags at least 10 different ways with all of them. Still has consistent failure to feeds.

I want to like it because Glock, but sadly the 44 is an epic fail.

I've shot 3 different 44s. Each one was a miserable experience. I tried loading the mags at least 10 different ways with all of them. Still has consistent failure to feeds.

I want to like it because Glock, but sadly the 44 is an epic fail.
After a bunch of research and handling a few guns, my shortlist is:

- Browning Buckmark
- S&W M&P .22 Compact
- Ruger SR22

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great feedback. This site is a real eye-opener.

- Browning Buckmark
- S&W M&P .22 Compact
- Ruger SR22

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great feedback. This site is a real eye-opener.

Right here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/browning-challenger-ii.363462/ I'd jump right on this one, right now. (not mine and I don't know the guy)

If it sells before you get there, you have and excellent shortlist. There are a couple vintage .22's that would be worth having as well. Colt in particular comes to mind for both the Woodsman and the Cadet. Both excellent shooters. But the Woodsman would likely be a bunch more $ratch.

Some info: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220346

Good luck and have fun!

Last Edited:

- Browning Buckmark
- S&W M&P .22 Compact
- Ruger SR22

Of course the big problem right now is being able to lay hands on any of the pistols you mention. For me the old standby Ruger MK's have been my go to for this all my life. I taught current Wife to shoot with a MKII 22/45 back in the mid 90's, she still loves that pistol. I have a MKIV LITE version of it now too which is always kept with me on Range trips for in case. If I run into someone new who seems to be struggling and they ask for help. First thing I do is let them try that until they get on paper. Have a compact SR Wife used for her EDC for a long while. It got passed over for that job when Ruger came out with the LCPII in .22. These are a GREAT pocket pistol for any who are recoil sensitive like Wife is. Bottom like the MK you have now makes a great teaching pistol to get someone started. Easy to shoot, light enough and almost no recoil, cheap to shoot.

Smith and Wesson M&P .22 (full size or compact)
Ruger MK series
Taurus TX-22
Glock 44

In that order. Only reason the Smith tops the Ruger MK for me is the ergos and the more "standard" type grip and controls. Teaching new shooters with a Ruger MK series is great but being a bolt driven SA pistol it doesn't transfer much to most other larger caliber offerings.
@Kruel J nailed it (in my opinion).

I have the pistols he mentions, and some others.

Regarding the Glock 44 specifically: I bought my G44 about 3 months ago. Have had no failures. Shot: 40 g Blazer, 40 g Remington Golden Bullet, 36 g Remington Thunderbolt (the infamously difficult to feed hollow points), 40 g Federal Auto Match, 40 g Winchester Match, 40 g Winchester white box. No failures of any kind. I've put 1,237 rounds through it.

I am guessing the early feeding problems reported on the G44 were fixed by Glock. At least, my experience has been awesome (granted, I'm a Glock guy). But the reviews I read and watched seem to indicate that early G44's had the feeding problem and later production G44's don't.

It is an excellent training pistol with the identical form factor and functional controls of a variety of centerfired pistols in self-defense calibers: G19 / G23 / G32 / G30 / G29, in 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 45 ACP & 10mm respectively.

And you can actually find G44's - BiMart gets them in at about $350 (BiMart also sells the TX-22 at around $350 and gets them in periodically as well).

I think the negatives of the Glock 44 ... After That being said the main issue I found with the G44 is the mags which can usually be remedied by loading the mag, pulling the tabs on the side, then turning it over and shaking it so the rounds align at a steeper angle. Stupid workaround but it works. Overall it's not a bad gun IMO and it's what I've taught my kids on. I could be bias though since I own one.

That's what I discovered. I also snap the little ears to present the correct orientation of the rounds in the magazine. That said, some ammo works without any extra fiddling.

Now for my shameless plug. Since I'm losing patience with the required fiddling or otherwise finicky-ness of the G44 magazine, my G44 is for sale. $275. :s0071:

That's what I discovered. I also snap the little ears to present the correct orientation of the rounds in the magazine. That said, some ammo works without any extra fiddling.

Now for my shameless plug. Since I'm losing patience with the required fiddling or otherwise finicky-ness of the G44 magazine, my G44 is for sale. $275. :s0071:

Great price! Too bad it's last on my list (for reasons such as yours) and I'm a Glock guy. :)

Ruger SR-22 is my vote

Good pistol for sure. I've owned two. The only reason it didn't make my list was it's size. A bit small for good "new shooter" training IMO. I think new shooters just learning firearm basics should learn on a larger gun with easy to manipulate controls. MOST handguns aren't tiny little subcompacts and MOST people don't shoot tiny little subcompacts as well as larger framed guns. Especially new shooters. :)

Fair enough. It's not too bad with the mag extensions, but yeah it's not what I would call "full size" either. With the extensions, it's about the smallest I would comfortably be able to handle. I wouldn't use it without the extensions, because my pinky barely fits with them on.

Good pistol for sure. I've owned two. The only reason it didn't make my list was it's size. A bit small for good "new shooter" training IMO. I think new shooters just learning firearm basics should learn on a larger gun with easy to manipulate controls. MOST handguns aren't tiny little subcompacts and MOST people don't shoot tiny little subcompacts as well as larger framed guns. Especially new shooters. :)
Yea I targeted the G44 because I was buying it to teach my kids, one them being only 6, so I went with the lightest .22lr handgun I could find. In hindsight I do with I had gone with a Ruger Mark IV

Everything I've heard is that the G44s issues were magazine related. So your older pistol might work better with newer magazines.

Fair enough. It's not too bad with the mag extensions, but yeah it's not what I would call "full size" either. With the extensions, it's about the smallest I would comfortably be able to handle. I wouldn't use it without the extensions, because my pinky barely fits with them on.

Exactly. And I'm sure you aren't a "new shooter". :D

If it gives you grief imagine how it will do with someone who doesn't even know how to properly grip a handgun.

I tried to teach my lady on a MkIV hunter, and that was fairly heavy with an awkward grip angle for her (8" barrel I think) and then she tried the M&P 22, which she of course hated the swinging trigger.

finally I got her a 22/45 lite and bought a really nice trigger for it (I thought it would end up mine lol) but she ended up loving the crap outta it!

I made sure to buy a threaded one so later on down the road I can introduce her to tax stamp fun.

Easy, my kel-tec cp33 would easily be my first choice for a .22LR to teach new shooters. It is light weight (32 oz with 33 in the mag and one in the chamber).
I keep mine loaded in case my mom needs to use a gun for home defense, if she can't reach one of my larger guns.

It is very easy to use the CP33, it is very accurate(even with the cheapest of bulk .22LR), and mine has been very reliable. The only thing to look out for is that you load the magazine properly, and that you clean the magazines after every range trip.

Didn't clean the gun till it stopped working, what happened was cases were getting stuck in the magazine after shooting 500 rounds of mixed .22LR(even likes the thunderbolts!!!)

Honestly I expected the Ruger Standard (pre-mark I dated 1950 with red eagle grips) I had to be the better gun, but I shoot the kel tec better like groups half the size and the barrel is only ".7" longer than the Ruger.(ended up selling the Ruger, and keeping the CP33 instead)

The trigger is really nice on the CP33,fiber optic sights are standard. I'm not even a .22LR guy, didn't get into rimfire handguns til late 2020 mostly because 9mm had gone up, but it makes me look like I been shooting .22LR pistols with red dots for years!(the pictured holosun 507c is my first red dot ever!) The red dot didn't even need to bee sighted in, shot point of aim from the first time it was mounted.(I consider that a blessing)

Mine has been a blessing and I'm thankful the Lord gave me opportunity to aquire it.

IMG_20210402_181137~2.jpg

One I can recommend is the Walther p22Q. Great trigger, good sights, easy to rack slide, reliable and u can increase mag capacity to 15 rounds via the tandemkross $26 spring and follower kit. Plus it has a threaded barrel so u can put a suppressor on it if u want. U can also buy a longer barrel (5") for about $120 if so inclined which makes it the same gun as the p22q target model (which is more expensive). Pre panic the cheapest I saw these was about $245 ($219 on one sale was actually the cheapest) for the standard 3.4" barrel version.
It would be great if I could find one in stock. Are they even made anymore?

It would be great if I could find one in stock. Are they even made anymore?
HI Nick are you referring to the gun, extended barrel, or magazine 15 round extenders being out of stock? If standard barrel gun is wha tyou are looking for I see CDDN has them. Over priced compared to before though as is everything in this panic time. I do see them for sale used also but make sure to get the Q version not the earlier version if possible. THey changed the recoil spring (and maybe something else?) to make them reliable with more types of ammo. I have run some pretty crappy ammo thorugh mine including some 10-15 year old blazer where some of them sounded like a cap gun they were so weak and no cycling issues at all.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-p22q-22lr.html

I see this place has in stock also but I have never bought from them:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top