JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm heading to the range today to try out my first entry into the .22 semi-auto pistol field. (My poor arthritic hands needed some relief from CF loads). I looked at all the models mentioned, but chose the Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Lite. Reason being ease of maint, familiar grip and controls, a threaded barrel, and a Picattinny (sp) mount for the optic that I'm going to need since I'm half blind in my dominant eye. I can shoot well and fast with the other eye, but it will be nice to try it out and see what happens. Also attractive is the availability of trigger kits cuz I love a good trigger and hate squishy/gritty ones.

I also just finished replacing broken parts on my 1022 after the granddaughter used it. The extractor was so worn it fell out while she was shooting. Then the recoil spring guide rod went "SPROING" when I disassembled the rcvr to put the new extractor in. Had to order a new guide rod from RugerParts.com or some such and it took forever for them to ship it. sheesh. Gotta shoot it today and make sure the new parts work. I put the Volquartsen trigger kit in it long ago, and also have the nylon recoil bushing. With the heavy 7/8" replacement barrel, its a very nice shooter for squeaks or steel silhouette.

My kids learned to pull the trigger, if it shot then clear the spent shell and cycle another round and repeat..........which brand 22 pistol was that ???
Clue.......it came with two different recoil springs, and they're starting to bite.
Runs pretty well polished

To "teach new shooters" "the fundamentals" and as a "transition" to a 9mm down the road....sorry, i didnt read the original post as carefully as I should have....and maybe others here as well...but I'd go with something like the Walther PPQ 22, or Ruger SR22, or the Glock 22 (but as a trainer myself I have had a number of women and kids who don't like the feel of Glock grips)...the Taurus TX 22 is super economical and a viable option when they were $250 or less, but I dont feel the quality is there at $325 or more as there are better options at or near that price point (I sold mine as I wasnt sold on it).
I've seen TX 22's around for $270 locally and recently. Check Coastal F&R. I have a MK III 22/45 with a bunch of Tandem Kross upgrades and the TX 22 is still way more reliable and more accurate out of a shorter barrel. As far as I can tell, the only plus a MKIV has over a MK III is that it's easier to field strip and clean, but once you ditch the magazine disconnect on the MK III, reassembly is as easy as any other pistol.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top