Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best .22 semi-auto for a 14 y.o. girl

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Ironbar, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Over the weekend my daughter had the opportunity to shoot her first pistol courtesy of her uncle, and surprise surprise, she liked it! She did say that didn't like the recoil too much, therefore I'd like to get her a .22 semi auto in hopes that she'll maybe-possibly become a little more interested in shooting with her old man.

Models I'm looking at are the Smith & Wesson M&P .22, Ruger SR22, and Ruger 22/45. I'm leaning toward the S&W just because I'm such a fan of their full size pistols, and it would give her the experience of practicing with a pistol that's a good representation of most modern striker fired pistols. I own a Ruger Mark III Hunter, but I believe the weight of that pistol would be a big turn-off for her.

Anyone want to weigh in on this or recommend any other .22 pistols I should consider? Thanks!

Joe13 likes this.
  2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'd let her shoot your Ruger to see how she likes it.. she'll probably like it a lot.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  3. Goosebrown

Goosebrown Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I think the MkIII is too heavy. My 9 year old can't comfortably handle one. However he wants to marry our SR22. Not the most accurate gun ever, but it is amazing to shoot. Highly recommended. I think in general I would never go outside Ruger for a .22 semi-auto for pistol or rifle.

Raidingtime and albin25 like this.
  4. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

22/45

5. Goosebrown

Goosebrown Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Good but big for the hand. Girls with smaller hands might not love it. I have big hands and don't love them compared to the MkIII. YMMV of course. If you can get her to try everything you're best off.

6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Walther p22

mjbskwim and DuneHopper like this.
  7. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

when i was 14 i was perfectly content with a 22 revolver. i know guys with the sr22 or the near identical walther version... both have issues with feeding and are sensitive to lead;particularly thunderblanks(thunderbolts). not bashing them just saying. i wouldnt want one to get discouraged or lose interest. i do like the buckmarks,MKI,II,III or the 22/45 though. you have a good point though that it may be too large for small hands. A gun is meant to last a lifetime and when their hands grow it may fit perfect??

8. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

The M&P and Ruger are both great choices. The Walther PPQ in .22lr is also excellent in that it gives the feel of a full size gun with out any recoil. Can't go wrong with any of them.

9. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I think every teenage girl in the country has become an archer since seeing The Hunger Games. I think shooting a bow of any draw weight is more difficult than plinking with a very fine three pound .22 pistol.

x2ndxall and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  10. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

+1 for the 22/45. But lots of valid points are being made. Let her handle a few of your favorites and choose the one she's most comfortable with. If she doesn't like it, it won't matter how good it is.
    And good for you, taking her shooting.

Ura-Ki and salmonriverjohn like this.
  11. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

buy her what she sees as her choice, she'll bond w/it
    PS pink never goes outa style w/the 'ladies';)

Ura-Ki and titsonritz like this.
  12. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

Sounds like a perfect excuse to get the new longer barrel SR22.

Brutus57 and mjbskwim like this.
  13. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

now days it ain't just the gun, but finding ammo as well:(

14. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Bersa Thunder would probably fit a girl's hands pretty nice?

15. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'd vote for the mk 3 he already has, I learned on the original at age 4.

My reason for responding though is that I have put thousands of rounds thru a p22 (maybe 6-8k ish) of a variety of bullet make and models and I have found that as long as I keep it squeaky clean and barely lubed, it is reliable to the point that I have carried it as my concieled piece many many times with confidence.

I've also used it in the local .22 speed compititions multiple times and it ran like a tuned glock.

Could be I just got a really good one but the Germans rarely produce garbage.

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  16. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Mark III is a great choice if the weight doesn't bother her (she'll love the mild recoil). My next choice would be the M&P 22, which would be nicely paired with an M&P 15-22 when the time comes ;)

Brutus57, Ura-Ki and ron like this.
  17. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

My five year old granddaughter ran my 22/45 very well.

Sgt Nambu, x2ndxall and Joe13 like this.
  18. Joe13

"Target" pistols are much more accurate and IMO easier to learn the fundamentals on then a compact version of a full size gun.

Ura-Ki, x2ndxall and salmonriverjohn like this.
  19. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I have plenty of .22 ammo.:D

Joe13 likes this.
  20. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Won't try to steer you to a particular brand or model since all the recommendations above are sound. You'll have a blast together. Since I shoot a variety of .22 pistols (semi-autos and revolvers made from 1952 to present), I see a couple other things you may want to consider:

- Some pistols have adjustable sights and some do not. Might be overly complicated/picky right now, or maybe not (she's not eight).

- Depending on where you shoot, if you think she'll see someone competing with any kind of mounted optic (maybe next year) and suddenly want one of her own, perhaps consider that eventual possibility now. Some pistols accommodate (birthday and Christmas present) add-ons, and some simply don't.

22 target.jpg

22 target.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Ura-Ki, Ironbar and salmonriverjohn like this.