JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am 65 and 8 months - I rounded it off. I will be 66 in August.

Max is $3K and change. I will get about $2500/mo by last statement I got from SSA - if I wait for FRA. Before the stimulus benes were announced, I was considering applying for SSI now.
And don't forget you can still work while collecting SS.

There's a good question, what are the Feds gonna do if a check is uncashed? :rolleyes: (we all know they're just gonna keep the money and move it around:rolleyes::rolleyes: )

Edit. Looks like the $1,200 and $500 per "qualifying child under 16" is being treated as a tax credit for the year 2020.:rolleyes:
That would mean you wouldn't get it until you file taxes next year. That's not how this is going down. The fed wants the money in and out of your hands ASAP.

And don't forget you can still work while collecting SS.

Yes, absolutely. I had planned to start taking SSI in August while still working so I could save up some extra cash for my land purchase. Now I am not sure what I can do if I sell my current property. I won't have enough to buy the land I want and build a shop on it. But I don't want to sit on this land forever - SSI will barely pay the mortgage by itself and I would have to tap into my retirement funds for food/etc.

Going into this recession the real estate market will be hit and I won't get the best price for my land either, so I may have to sit here for a year or two.

On the one hand I would like to take it easy and just retire now, on the other hand I need to get a job to pull of what I had planned - sell my land, buy land further out, build the shop/living quarters with a much smaller mortgage, and then retire with an affordable mortgage payment.

I am thinking apply for medicare and SSI after April one. There is some clause/policy that if you retire before FRA, but do it in the year you turn FRA, and you are not employed (or something like that) then you pay less or no penalty on the earned income you have up to that point? That fits my current situation. Even if I get a job again, they would only withhold $1 for every $3 I earn, but then it gets credited back to my account.

I need to go talk to SSI, but I think the office isn't accepting appointments right now.

If I get one I'm burning it. I don't take help from the government and I'm not a sell-out.

I used to feel much the same way. Going through the last recession changed my thinking. I've payed a lot of money into the system over the years, and I've never milked the system. When I found myself out of work in '09 along with about half the state it seemed, and no jobs available, my pride took a hit.

I was on unemployment and used Trade Act benefits to go back to school. I was still too proud to look into food stamps, but after hanging out with all the other people taking classes at the community college I was attending, I realized just how many people milk the system for all it's worth. I realized I was in a legitimate situation and was fully intending on getting back to work and paying taxes again just as soon as I could.

I realized that it was more pride than principle keeping me from accepting public assistance. As much as I'd paid in over the years, I swallowed my pride and took what was offered. We even found out that we could have been getting food stamps the whole time, and had turned down about $10k worth during the time we didn't. That much money saved would have been incredibly helpful during that time. I may disagree in principle with some of the largess of the system, but when it comes to supporting my family I won't turn it down.

That said, I won't judge anyone else who refuses assistance, out of either pride or principle.

I am thinking apply for medicare and SSI after April one. There is some clause/policy that if you retire before FRA, but do it in the year you turn FRA, and you are not employed (or something like that) then you pay less or no penalty on the earned income you have up to that point? That fits my current situation. Even if I get a job again, they would only withhold $1 for every $3 I earn, but then it gets credited back to my account.

I need to go talk to SSI, but I think the office isn't accepting appointments right now.

socialsecurity.jpg

As we all know, big daddy government is going to be sending checks out (if society doesn't collapse first, and you're not too rich to get one). So, while I understand a lot of people may actually need this money for real life expenses, why not blow off some steam and see who can make the best selling point for a $1200 gun purchase?

No cheating by getting something that costs more than $1200. Multiple guns or gun with multiple accessories considered and we can go by the lowest price currently on gun.deals or WikiArms.

My case for your consideration:
The VEPR 12 shotgun.
A true Russian made AK platform on a beefed up RPK type receiver that fires semi auto 12 gauge as fast as you can pull the trigger. YouTube has deemed them quite reliable and can be had for right around $999. Useful for home defense, hunting, and coronavirus zombies. Use the extra $200 to buy ammo or maybe some of the cool accessories on the market for it like a beefier muzzle brake or throw an optic on it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top