JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I have a question: I bought a Bersa series 95. It says on the barrel Cal..32. So naturally I buy some .32 cartridges but they don't fit (too small). The guy at the gun shop did say it was a .380 but I thought after checking the barrel that maybe he made a mistake. I then bought .380 cartridges and they work. I inspected the barrel to be sure nothing rubbed down, and it appears perfectly fine. So does anybody have any idea why the barrel says Cal..32 but is actually a .380?

Something isn't right. I don't think I would risk shooting it until either Bersa or a gunsmith checks it out. Maybe you could take it back to where you bought it. I would be afraid it is a .32 barrel chambered for the .380, in which case getting a bullet down the barrel is going to have some pressure issues.

It is a .380. I have already shot it. I first bought the .32 carts and noticed they were too small. The .380 fit just how it should and that is what I fired.

Interesting hypothesis Rick. I will have more info tonight (sunday night) I am at work now. When I get home I will take a few pictures of it and post them. I am still waiting for the Bersa company to email me back. I did email them late Friday so I may have to wait until Monday.

Attached are a couple pictures of the pistol. A co worker mentioned maybe it was re-chambered? Or like Rick said, perhaps slide was replaced. Either way I hate this pistol. I bought it for my wife. She chose it. I should have inspected it myself because it has a really heavy slide pull. Its also rusting like hell, the first time I fired it it jammed. The second time I shot it the cartridge jammed going into the chamber as I cocked it. I think she chose this gun just because it was cheap. Lesson learned. I am going to buy her a new gun and shes not gonna get much of a say in the matter. :p I hate this gun.

BTW it was not that rusty when I bought, it rusted VERY quickly though. It is her first pistol, she had just got her Conceal Cary the day before, she wanted it in her name so I left it all up to her.

Hmm, interesting... I will have to check it out when I get home. I looked at some pics on google images and can't find other Bersa series 95 .32 with that same hole/groove.

The Bersa Thunder .380 is actually a fantastic gun, I have one of the 2-tone ones as my glove-box gun. The one you have seems like it is pretty messed up however.

That slide must have been replaced and messed with a bunch. There is no way SS should rust like that overnight.

I don't know that it is a Bersa Thunder .380 though. Like the pic shows it says its a Series 95. Doesn't say Thunder anywhere. Not to mention the issue is the slide says .32 but the barrel is a .380. But like you said, the slide very well may have been messed with or replaced. I have no idea. All's I know is its gonna be replaced.

It was not literally overnight, but perhaps within a month. It is also my wife's glove-box gun. I've kept various pistols in there over longer periods of time with no problem.

Even so, no reason it should rust like that. I would put money on it having been modified at one point, and probably had the finish messed with. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a SS to begin with.

The 95 and Thunder are nearly identical other than a few cosmetics. I typed too quickly and didn't make the differentiation, but they are essentially the same weapon.

I think you ended up buying some weird hybrid gun that some backyard gunsmith messed with. I'm surprised a reputable gunshop would let something like that out the door.

Is there anything I can do with it to make the slide work much better? It is really hard to pull back and has actually slipped through my fingers. You really have to grip it.

Thanks for the clarification.