JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to reload some Berry's bullets I've got. .45 ACP, 230 gr. ball type. Never loaded these before, can I use my regular ACP loads? Copper plating seems hard, guessing 5.4 gr. of W231 would be safe. I usually load 5.2 to 5.4 grs. of 231 with 230 gr. ball type bullets ( Precision or Montana Gold bullets).

Thank you.

I believe Berry's states a velocity limit on their packaging. 230 grain .45s traveling at 850ft/sec I don't imagine are approaching a limit at all so I wouldn't be worried. I believe my Berry's 158 grain .357s state 1200ft/sec max

I've read that you can use lead or jacketed load data as long as you stay under 1250fps levels.

image.jpg

Last Edited:
Thank you guys! I will load a few at each of my normal loads and see how they do. They're only for punching paper etc.

When starting with a new component. It's best to start low and work your way up. Rrrright.....use only published data from a reliable source. But then, if you can't find a particular combination spelled out in your reloading manual?

Well......depending on your risk tolerance. You could "experiment" just a little. But, because of liability concerns, I'm not saying that anyone should.

So then.....you could also just contact the manufacturer of your bullet.;)

How you wish to proceed is.......

"UP TO YOU."

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I did reload a bunch of Berry's 230gr platted bullets in .45 ACP. Excellent results from my HK45, very accurate and a pleasure to shoot recoil wise.

I've done naughty things, such as load Berry's plated in my .357 M92 at 1800+ fps. Very accurate and I've shot thousands of them in that gun. I just make sure to use a copper solvent every once in a while.

When starting with a new component. It's best to start low and work your way up. Rrrright.....use only published data from a reliable source. But then, if you can't find a particular combination spelled out in your reloading manual?

Well......depending on your risk tolerance. You could "experiment" just a little. But, because of liability concerns, I'm not saying that anyone should.

So then.....you could also just contact the manufacturer of your bullet.;)

How you wish to proceed is.......

"UP TO YOU."

Aloha, Mark
Berrys doesn't provide data but some manuals do.
Where can I find load data for your bullets?
Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:
  • The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
  • Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
    • Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
    • Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
  • Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.
Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.
Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.
For SAAMI MAX COL specs please

I found using mixed cases, 1.260 overall length, CCI number 300 primers, and 5.4 grains of 231 gave excellent results. No chronograph information available, but I figure between 750 and 800 ft./s.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top