JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to address my survival water situation. I've been looking at the Berkey type systems for a while and like how it operates. The added bonus is the fact that you could use the setup in a normal everyday environment also. The Big Berkey is $350 on Amazon and $290 on eBay. You can find much on YouTube where guys are making them with plastic buckets for about (depending on filters) $35 to $150. I looked at the many filters online and there are so many mixed reviews I'm not sure what to get. The Berkey filters are the most expensive and the no-name ones are of course cheaper. Get the Berkey or save some money and make one?

You can make your own. Just use two five gallon buckets from Home Depot. You can buy similar filters on ebay or amazon that will do the same job.
Do a web search fro more info. The Berkey is nice (and I have one) but you don't have to spend that kind of money. My spare filters for my Berkey I got off amazon for a much better price. According to the specs, I couldn't see a difference from the Berkey.

look at Sagan Life Aquabrick system. Not gravity fed. You pump positive pressure into the container and it forces water through the Duraflo filter out a tube with a dispenser end on it. Says it can even do pool water (not salt water).

Here's what I bought:

100D23F7-C0D2-406D-82DE-78928F42E2F5.jpeg 6581DA27-E7C5-4229-8C2A-EB8A74DF7C19.jpeg

Just spend the money on the Berkey. It's a classic case of "Buy once, cry once". I've been suffering with a Pur filter system that burns though filters but was cheap originally $27 - 11 Cup Ultimate Water Filtration Pitcher ). Would have been cheaper to get a Berkey as you get so many more gallons off each filter even though the original price for the Berkey is insane.

I'd read the complaints about the Pur on Amazon but figured I could live with it, ie " Clogs after a few days and water takes forever to filter, residue under the LED indicator which gets into the water " and " for the first few days it was slow but filtering well...until it started just filtering drop by drop and we would have to leave it for hours to get a single cup....now it just won't filter at all. I've researched online and it seems to be a common problem. People suggested a few techniques to unclog it, none of which worked. This are expensive filters and if it can only last a week, it is totally not worth it. I'll be buying another filter in hopes that I just got a defective unit, but to be honest I already regret buying it. ". People fill it up but it's slow to filter so when they pour it the water pushes the whole lid to pop off and dumps the water on top out.

The issue with the Pur can be mitigated by trading out the filters frequently, but I cry every time I buy filters (frequently). I reflect on the "buy once cry once" phrase every time.

Last Edited:
Just spend the money on the Berkey. It's a classic case of "Buy once, cry once". I've been suffering with a Pur filter system that burns though filters but was cheap originally $27 - 11 Cup Ultimate Water Filtration Pitcher ). Would have been cheaper to get a Berkey as you get so many more gallons off each filter even though the original price for the Berkey is insane.

I'd read the complaints about the Pur on Amazon but figured I could live with it, ie " Clogs after a few days and water takes forever to filter, residue under the LED indicator which gets into the water " and " for the first few days it was slow but filtering well...until it started just filtering drop by drop and we would have to leave it for hours to get a single cup....now it just won't filter at all. I've researched online and it seems to be a common problem. People suggested a few techniques to unclog it, none of which worked. This are expensive filters and if it can only last a week, it is totally not worth it. I'll be buying another filter in hopes that I just got a defective unit, but to be honest I already regret buying it. ". People fill it up but it's slow to filter so when they pour it the water pushes the whole lid to pop off and dumps the water on top out.

The issue with the Pur can be mitigated by trading out the filters frequently, but I cry every time I buy filters (frequently). I reflect on the "buy once cry once" phrase every time.
Also, look for scratch and dent sales for the Berkey.

Lifestraw also has Family filter setups.

1608076578079.png

After my plastic berkey containers cracked, I replaced them with a couple 4 gallon frosting buckets that I got from Freddy's bakery. The filters last a really long time and when they start filtering too slow, they just need a wipedown. I love my Berkey. Not sure if the Food Grade bucket is any better than a HD bucket though.

As
After my plastic berkey containers cracked, I replaced them with a couple 4 gallon frosting buckets that I got from Freddy's bakery. The filters last a really long time and when they start filtering too slow, they just need a wipedown. I love my Berkey. Not sure if the Food Grade bucket is any better than a HD bucket though.
The only rules are that it doesn't leak and it's suitable for drinking water. Creativity and ingenuity are always a plus. :)

Ok, the reason I didn't get a Berkey. We already have house filters in the system and I really don't want a Berkey taking up room on our counters. Also my homemade one stores easily. I keep it in the garage attic for when the SHTF. I'm good.

Ok, the reason I didn't get a Berkey. We already have house filters in the system and I really don't want a Berkey taking up room on our counters. Also my homemade one stores easily. I keep it in the garage attic for when the SHTF. I'm good.
The reason I got a Berkey was in case there was a disruption in the water supply. If you have a whole house filter but no water coming into the house then that filter system is useless. Same as you, I keep my Berkey in a storage closet for when needed. We have a pond nearby that would feed the Berkey quite nicely so no need for it to take up room in our smallish kitchen. The wife already forbids me from leaving anything on the counters as it is.

Lifestraw also has Family filter setups.

View attachment 792925
This is not only been proven, it's used in many 3rd world countries right now.

I wouldn't trust those tiny Sawyer filters for what they claim they do.

Berkeys require filter changes every so often.

The Lifestraw community is the winner in my eyes.

This is not only been proven, it's used in many 3rd world countries right now.
That is true right there.
They are used in areas where there is no power, where there was never access to clean water prior.

You see their replacement cartridge cost? $50 for another 26,000 gallons of filtration.
My municipal water source isn't that cheap.

That is true right there.
They are used in areas where there is no power, where there was never access to clean water prior.

You see their replacement cartridge cost? $50 for another 26,000 gallons of filtration.
My municipal water source isn't that cheap.
I've seen them in use in Mexico. Some of the water they put in it was pretty bad looking. They still boiled it after, but it came out looking like the stuff that comes out of my sink.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top