Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Beretta M9A1 offering for army contract consideration. (in FDE)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IronMonster, Jan 12, 2015.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Go go Berretta!

I still want one in stainless...

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Good looking gun in that color, would like to own one just like it.:D

4. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

$1000 - $1500 per weapon! I remember reading back in the 80's that Beretta won the contract at about $175 per handguns [$178.50].

Dose each new guns come with three extra guns to use as parts? :s0140:

5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Those A1s are sexy.

Joe13 likes this.
  6. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

The M9 was a POS, putting a rail on it and changing the color ain't going to help the fact. A gold covered turd is still a turd.
    Time to go back to a .45 caliber and be done with the 9mm. It's a cute round and all, but it's lack of stopping power was very disconcerting. There is a good reason that most SF, NSW and other high-speed guys use .45's

7. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I love to laugh when people start busting out the "stopping power" card:D

I've yet to see a handgun caliber that will flat out drop a 200lb critter in its tracks.

But if a bigger bullet keeps Ya feeling warm and fuzzy then who am I to say otherwise.

8. Just Jim

:D Interesting, do you carry a 22 short as your defense caliber?

Caveman Jim, blackadder and Joe13 like this.
  9. Joe13

.22lr count?

If so then yup.

I've never felt under gunned but then again, I'm a civy in a civy world.

If I was in war, if want a 5.7 or something that would zip thru body armor, not thud into it.

10. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Hey now, you could still lose an eye!

11. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

There is no such thing as a one size fits all. Personally if I had my choice of 15 rds of .40 vs 8 rds of .45 though the .40 wins every time. I'd still take 17 rds of 9mm over 8 rds of .45

I can't see how two rounds of .40 in center mass is less effective than one round of .45

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  12. blackadder

blackadder Everett Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

13. Just Jim

Ironic that the military is complaining about the M9 and that is what Beretta offers to them again, with a new paint job:D. If the military buys this again they should give our troops the option to bring their own handguns.

hker71 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  14. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Never had a choice on what gun I could use in the Army. They just said here! Train with this.

The gun I choose to carry is a Glock. You see. The Military and I have different Ideas on what makes a good handgun.

Now just think what life in the military dose to a gun? Any gun!
    That's right. You won't get the best example of that particular model.

I like =
    Pull gun, press trigger, Boom!

What you get in the Army is =
    Pull gun, rack slide, pull trigger, Oh crap! Trigger is dead! What, what, what! Oh ya! Forgot safety still on after I last used it as a decocker........... Flip off safety! OK. [Wow? I'm not dead yet!]. Pull trigger, Booooooooooooom!!! WTF! The slide just broke off my gun!!! Man, I guess the last 147 guys that were issued this POS took really bad care of it? [Oh crap, Now I'm dea...................

hker71 likes this.
  15. Just Jim

:D I didn't know they issued "salad shooters" too.

16. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

Everyone knows high speed low drag beard wearing death dealers jumping from 30k all sport the Mk23.... or 1911's from WWI... as the 9mm bounces off bad guys and the Beretta only goes bang about 1 in 7 tries. Hell, it's so bad that when issued, guys in the know just give them back to the armorer preferring to use a bayonet for CQC.... or to smash bad guys with their mighty fists of doom.

Let's talk about something really important: like how much better Marpat is than Multicam, so good that if Predator were wearing it then Arnold's skull would have been decorating a mantle some thousands of light years away....

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  17. blackadder

Multicam is a better "utility" camo IMNSHO. Works well in both environments, unlike Marpat where you have to change clothes when you hit the woodline.

18. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

If you have to shoot M882 I can see where a 9mm could be less than optimal. For civilians and LE, who can use modern expanding rounds, it seems to work just fine.

19. blackadder

HPs, frangible, and other expanding type ammo makes the 9mm acceptable (although barely in my "45acp is the best thing since the longbow mentality"). So, if you are a civilian who wants to spend $1000-$1500 (depending on what price tag they end up mounting it with) on a Beretta 92 that has a rail, $50 sights, and a new paint job, be my guest. In the mean time, those of us who will be carrying the new pistol (potentially into harms way) want it chambered in a FMJ round that might actually transfer its energy to the target.

iusmc2002 likes this.
  20. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

You "laugh" at people who have actually had to depend on that little POS round/pistol, then go on to say you're just a civvie in a civvie world? That sure makes us value your input..... :rolleyes: