Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Beretta M9 paint flakes off inside slide

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Botte Hork, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

Hi all, got my new M9 a few weeks ago, but I had to be on a business trip for 2 weeks, so it has a grand total of 0 rounds through it so far. Just removed the slide and I saw that there were some flakes of paint coming off the center part of the slide. You see it on the top right of the center on this picture, as well as that round chip just left of the middle above and right to the extractor pin. The exposed metal looks a bit reddish, but that's due to the wonderful color balance with a mix of different light colors here. :)

My question: is this something to be concerned about?

Thumba_2012-10-31_00-10-52.jpg

2. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

You're going to have wear on the stripping lug of the slide just from dry cycling the action.

Wait until you see what happens when you shoot it.

H

3. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

Not on my 92A1. I had to disassemble it and take a look at my slide and wipe it down. I'm over the 1000 round mark by a long shot.
    Nothing to worry about Hork sometimes they leave the factory a little rough it will smooth itself out.

4. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

My 92A1 is similar in that I've shot approx 550 rounds with it and am not seeing that type of flaking anywhere.

You might call Beretta and see what they say. Replacement?

Peter

5. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Shoot and enjoy it.

6. Botte Hork

Thanks gents! I was somewhat concerned as I can understand wear due to use (and even dry cycling), but the flakes at the end I just don't like. Is the slide regular carbon steel or stainless? I'll just make sure to keep it properly lubed to avoid rusting.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Portland Member

If your pistol is blue/black the slide is steel. The wear you are seeing is normal, on my 92 this area of the slide is now well polished metal. Silicon spray helps keep the rust down.

8. Botte Hork

Alright, I'll just keep it lubed up well during the break in.

9. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

The slide is parkerized steel with epoxy paint over the park

10. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

I have about 300 rds through my M9. Kept it lubed with mobile 1. Haven't noticed much wear particles. I wish my XDm45 was as smooth.

11. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

get in contact with beretta that is not normal

12. Botte Hork

As long as I don't need to wait for weeks for a replacement.... good excuse though to buy something else. :)

13. oknow

there is never a bad excuse to buy another gun some are just better then others, but waiting a few weeks is better than having a gun that you know there is something wrong with it and didn't do anything to fix it, also you have to put up with the guff from everyone if you try and sell it later.

14. Botte Hork

True, but I intend to keep this one. :) That's not an excuse to not go shopping, however. :)

Anyway, right after I posted I called Beretta and one of their support guys said this is normal and expected. He also asked me to email him the picture to give a better assessment and he said this is, as others mentioned, due to the metal-on-metal contact and especially intially this can be expected. The suggestion was to lubricate properly, so I'll make sure to keep it smooth especially during the break-in period.

15. oknow

I stand corrected