JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have this Beretta AL 391 that's been sitting in the back of my safe for at least a decade. I vaguely remember shooting it once or twice, don't remember any issues, and then went on to other things. Broke it out recently to do some shooting, and can not get this gun to cycle a shell. Have taken it down and put it back together at least a dozen times, tried half a dozen different shells, both 2.75" and 3", and nothing will feed when I cycle the action. I haven't actually fired it, since it isn't working right, but I have stripped it down right now and all the parts look good, including both the extractor and the ejector.

Anyone have any ideas, or do I need to make a trip to a gunsmith?

Thanks!

Hard to tell what this issue is via your text, please forgive the dumb questions.

You have not taken it to the range and fired anything? Just trying to manually cycle the action?

Are you stating that when manually cycling the action, nothing will chamber?

Is there anything obstructing the chamber?

Can you drop a round into the chamber with the barrel removed?

Where you able to load rounds into the magazine tube?

Will the action lock back?

If the action can lock back, where is the carrier?

If the action locks back, can you hit the release for the lifter and does it allow a round to release from the mag tube?

When hitting the bolt release and cycling without any ammo in the mag tube does the carrier go up and down like it should?

The AL 391 has an automatic magazine cutoff that will not allow rounds to feed from the magazine to the carrier unless the trigger is pulled (ie normal firing of a loaded gun) or the carrier release button is pushed (ie unloading the magazine). Simply cycling the bolt will not allow any shells to feed from the magazine.

When in doubt RTFM:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews