JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After watching all the videos on the above link, I decided to pick up a set of pin punches. You can disassemble an entire 92/96 with a flat head screw driver and something to push pins out! The hammer spring takes literally 30 seconds to remove. So, unless Tim just wants a free dinner and to hang out I'd say we're safe to do this without a professional guiding us along.

One more note -

After removing the hammer spring, the trigger has next to no tension on it. I highly doubt changing the trigger spring will make much of a difference. I'll still probably order the Wolff unit simply because it's a better piece and is easier to install if you have everything apart to clean.

Mark, Benny - if you guys want a lighter hammer spring I'll order extra so we aren't all paying shipping. I'll probably order a pack of 3 (13 lb) anyway in case I mess one up.

S Ribs yes I would like to buy a spring if you order them thanks!

I have an M9 with a D spring and it works just fine. I haven't tried polishing the trigger parts to smooth it out more as I think it is fine as it is. Will definitely be interested in your results.

We have 'D' springs already. ;)

I really to have my done but right now I am living in PDX, I dont know when my next trip to PDX. Even if I go to PDX, there will be a lot of stuffs wait for me to get done. I will past this time. Benny

No worries Benny. Like I said I'll still probably order a few extra. Next time you're in Portland drop me a line and you can pick one up from me. Shoot, bring the pistol with and I'll help you do it while you're here!

Mark, I'll place an order tomorrow for some hammer springs. Would you like an extra spring or anything else while I'm ordering? Might as well save on shipping! I will be ordering from Wolff, the first link posted and am planning on getting at least a trigger spring as well.

I will take that offer s ribs, next trip to PDX I will deffinately bring my gun with me :) Thanks, Benny
We have 'D' springs already. ;)

No worries Benny. Like I said I'll still probably order a few extra. Next time you're in Portland drop me a line and you can pick one up from me. Shoot, bring the pistol with and I'll help you do it while you're here!

Mark, I ordered the springs just now. Pack of 3- 13 lb. hammer springs. They are coming standard mail so I would expect them in 4-5 days (shipping from PA). I will let you know when they are in! I can do the job in about 2 minutes now that I have successfully stripped and reassembled the entire gun 3 times. :D But, I'll teach you how to do it so you can do it in the future if need be.

I also ordered one of the Wolff reduced pull trigger conversion units (though I really don't expect it to do much after playing with the gun). After watching as many gun smithing clips as I could on youtube, etc. I think it would be a very smart idea to polish up any contact points that affect the trigger internally. My pistol is completely apart right now so I hope to get it polished in the next few days.

Just got done polishing up contact points in the trigger. WOW! Seriously, it's amazing how much it changed it. I expected it to be smoother but I didn't expect it to lighten up the trigger so much. Highly recommend you do this to your pistols if you're looking to lighten up the trigger and smooth things out a bit.

I used 600 grit wet/dry sand paper with a little gun oil to keep it sanding smoothly.

Just got done polishing up contact points in the trigger. WOW! Seriously, it's amazing how much it changed it. I expected it to be smoother but I didn't expect it to lighten up the trigger so much. Highly recommend you do this to your pistols if you're looking to lighten up the trigger and smooth things out a bit.

I used 600 grit wet/dry sand paper with a little gun oil to keep it sanding smoothly.

Sweet!

:s0122:

:D

Polished up my 10/22 trigger last night. I wonder if I can do this to my Mossberg 500 as well?? :LOL: The 10/22 definitely did not smooth up as much (other parts unrelated to the trigger like springs) but it did lighten it up and make it feel more crisp! The trigger was always the weak point on this Target model and seriously inhibited accuracy.

Polished up my 10/22 trigger last night. I wonder if I can do this to my Mossberg 500 as well?? :LOL: The 10/22 definitely did not smooth up as much (other parts unrelated to the trigger like springs) but it did lighten it up and make it feel more crisp! The trigger was always the weak point on this Target model and seriously inhibited accuracy.

It's a vicious cycle, in a week or so after you run out of guns you will be polishing the wife's silverware. ;)

s ribs
If still not happy with your 10/22 trigger, try a Volquartsen trigger kit and you won't be sorry. I got mine down to 1lb 8oz. :D Just remember to also polish the tip of the hammer strut, where it engages the hammer. In fact, you should try that before you install the trigger kit and let us know how it went. Did not occur to me :p

Definitely want to see how this trigger work was done. I understand it's a limitation of the DAO setup, but I'd like a much smoother pull (and break) than what the stock trigger has atm.

Post pics when you do!

(another one of the 96D owners :D)

Alright guys, I got the springs in. The 'D' model spring must be pretty light because the 13 lb hammer spring was about the same (perhaps a half pound heavier actually) as the 'D' spring. I cut a coil off and it felt about right.

I started taking pictures of how to do everything but would recommend watching the videos on Beretta92fs. If those videos don't help enough I will post my pictures. I will strip the gun to show every part I polished up soon.

Fired 120 rounds through it yesterday and everything functions perfectly! Much much improved over when I first got the gun. I would say polishing was about 95% of the improvement. Springs are cheap so why not. If they were $20 a piece I would say it wouldn't be worth the expense.

Easiest way to do that... only polish what you already see wear on. Or, read the links on the first page and see where to polish. You absolutely CAN screw up the function of the gun so caution should be exercised. It's not that hard if you're paying attention though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top