JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I expired one mag and when I went to change in a fresh mag and slammed it home...when the slide was open and put in the new one. The fresh mag closed the slide on its own. I have heard a few accounts of this but am not sure how common it is.

My M9 does not do this, you might have a weak slide catch spring. Part number 19 below.
berett1.gif

As I think about this more, it wouldn't be a weak spring on the slide catch because the spring is actually tensioning the slide catch down keeping it from inadvertently activating and causing slide lock. Had it backwards, need to get some sleep I guess. I think The Cheese nailed it with wear on the slide stop. Sorry for the confusion.

I remember a range in Eugene that has an H&K USP .40 that does this every time you put in a new magazine, even gently. It's so old and abused, the slide stop is rounded off and much of the finish has polished itself clean. :s0114:

The only time this does it is with a pretty forceful change. Just normal changes have never done it. It is a 92F if that may have been some cause? BTW the Jet Li slide removal in Lethal Weapon 4 is actually really easy to do

Never happened to mine. Some have told me that if you constantly use the slide stop lever to let the slide come forward instead of pulling back on the slide and letting it go, you can "round off" the metal and this can happen. But it would have to be a very high round count gun, I'd think.

Never happened to mine. Some have told me that if you constantly use the slide stop lever to let the slide come forward instead of pulling back on the slide and letting it go, you can "round off" the metal and this can happen. But it would have to be a very high round count gun, I'd think.

No offense to your friend, but I'm gonna call BS on that one. I had a new slide stop in my CZ-75 due to the old one being really old and breaking (old pre-B, slide stop is a wear piece).

I have had that happen with a couple of high round count 1911's, how ever a new magazine and the problem was gone forever. In other cases a worn out mag will not activate the slide stop. Does the problem occur with the same mag?

My Star Super does this, in 9x23 largo as it is a military pistol, and is designed to do this, although with a 9xlugar barrel it will not, and with the same clip. I like it when it does this and gets ready to rock pronto...

After some more messing with it. I can get it to release without a mag being inserted (jarring it hard enough with my weak hand pretending to do a change) so its not mags. BTW, I got this pistol used but am sure it has less than 1000 rounds through it. There was no scuffing on the mags that came with it and it was extremely clean.

When slamming the mags home, try to recognize if there is a difference between pushing straight upward, and pushing more at a 45 degree angle toward the front of the gun when driving the mag home. Its far more likely to occur when driving in a upward and foreward motion.

No offense to your friend, but I'm gonna call BS on that one. I had a new slide stop in my CZ-75 due to the old one being really old and breaking (old pre-B, slide stop is a wear piece).

A couple jobs ago, the firearms instruction I received stated that the glock manufacturer specifically states that you should never use the slide lock (or "slide release") to release the slide...ever. They said it was designed only for locking the slide back, and constant use (using it to replace a fresh mag during reload) would wear down the lever.

They made us pull the slide back and release it to load it.

A couple jobs ago, the firearms instruction I received stated that the glock manufacturer specifically states that you should never use the slide lock (or "slide release") to release the slide...ever. They said it was designed only for locking the slide back, and constant use (using it to replace a fresh mag during reload) would wear down the lever.

They made us pull the slide back and release it to load it.

If they didn't mean for it to be used they probably wouldn't have wasted the time an money to put the grooves in it. For that matter you would think they would have made it completely internal requiring the user to pull the slide back to release.

If they didn't mean for it to be used they probably wouldn't have wasted the time an money to put the grooves in it. For that matter you would think they would have made it completely internal requiring the user to pull the slide back to release.

My instructor said the same thing, he carries a glock just about all the time and he always pulls it back. Not only to not wear out the lock (not release) but to get more force to feed the round into the chamber.