JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are larger and heavier than many contemporary pistols in .380 ACP / 9㎜ Corto. It has been a while since I shot any (like mid-2000s), but they seem well made. The 84 variant, I believe, features a double-stack magazine and therefore holds more rounds.

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing these for sale? Thanks.

I have the M84 and M81 which are the same generation. The M84 is still part of my summer rotation.

I'd like to get an M85, but it's not a priority.

It's a Beretta, it shoots where you point it... every time.

Yes, it is slightly heavier than newer .380s but I wouldn't let that stop me from getting one and using it every day.

My Sig P238 is 7+1 and carried condition 1.
A Beretta M85 is 8+1 and can be carried condition 1.

My Beretta M84 is 13+1 and carried condition 1.

I see that PSA has them in stock, I'd get one if I was in the market. They conceal very easily and shoot well.

If you want picture comparisons let me know.

M84 vs P238
M84 vs M9A1(92FS)
M84 vs M70s (earlier Beretta generation. 380)

They are larger and heavier than many contemporary pistols in .380 ACP / 9㎜ Corto. It has been a while since I shot any (like mid-2000s), but they seem well made. The 84 variant, I believe, features a double-stack magazine and therefore holds more rounds.

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing these for sale? Thanks.
Palmetto state armory. There were a couple other sites that popped up as having them when I searched for the M85 magazines. Atlantic (and I'm sure a few others) sell a beretta licensed clone made by a Turkish company called Faith, that appear to be at least as good as the original.

The Beretta-licensed clone of the 84 is from Tisas and it is the "Fatih 13".

I have a number of Berettas and also the Tisas Fatih 13. The fit and finish, operation and accuracy of the Tisas is excellent.

I have a M85 that I purchased some time in the early 90's and it still runs flawlessly today. Granted it doesn't see much use lately, but it was my hiking carry for many years and saw alot of dirt and very little cleaning back then and never missed a beat.

I'd vote to buy a 92 if you're in to the Beretta look. More capacity, easier to find mags and aftermarket support.

Depending on your hand size, the Beretta 80 series may fit you better than the 90 series. I really would like to have a 92 but, it's just too large for me to grip comfortably. I guess I could buy the low profile trigger and the extra thin grip panels from Wilson....but why?...when there's lots of decent and attractive 9mm 1911's out there)

My 86 is absolutely my favorite pistol... on the range or in the home.
(the stainless double stack 84 I had was a bit too fat for me, so I sold it, even though I now regret doing so.... it was soooo pretty! )

I've yet to hear of a burglar getting shot with a 380 and complaining that it wasn't a 9mm. (I imagine they'd appreciate that you cared enough to spend a little more on the ammo?).
upload_2015-6-15_15-50-35.png

Last Edited:
I have the 85 and it is a great carry piece. It is double stack and I carry one additional mag. For me it's a great cross between full size carry and three mags or the 85 and one additional mag. 26 rds of 380 should get you fighting to your big guns anyway...

Correction... on my post... I have the 84 which is the Cheetah... double stack...

Last Edited:
It's a very good gun. I have the M81 in .32acp and the 85F in .380. But then I like Berettas and have a .32 1935, 1951, 92s, and 92FX in inox.
That said, there are clearly smaller, lighter 9s if you want something to carry, (and my .45 Shield is even smaller and lighter).

If it were me, I'd get it. But then that's exactly what I did. You won't be sorry.

Don't wait too long.

Last few months there has been a run of surplus Beretta police trade in pistols hitting the U.S. market (.32ACP, .380, & 9mm models). These are Italian made Berettas, not Beretta USA models.

I almost waited too long in acquiring a Model 81. I saw them hit the market for $200-$250 and thought they would be a fun shooter. When I finally decided to order one up, almost everyone was sold out. I located one of thd last few from J&G Sales but fully expected a bottom of the barrel rust bucket example.

The gods must have favored me when it arrived because when I unboxed it I found a 90% example inside. Absolutely pleasant to shoot and a tack driver to boot. It's one of the most accurate handguns I own and I now regret not ordering two.

20201127_054845.jpg

Last Edited:
Also....fyi.....all of the 80s series pistols are "Cheetah" series models. I don't know why they went with both "80 series" and "Cheetah series" in naming the line, but the two terms are interchangeable.

-E-

There is something about the look of the Cheetah series and the 92's and other Berettas that share the same visual design characteristics. They have a beautiful aesthetic. I, too, saw the Palmetto ad about surplus 85's (these seem to popup about twice a year) and was tempted at $399 . Not as a carry or defensive weapon, just as a "nice to take the range and plunk" gun. Great ergonomics, fun weapon to operate, beautiful design.

There is something about the look of the Cheetah series and the 92's and other Berettas that share the same visual design characteristics. They have a beautiful aesthetic. I, too, saw the Palmetto ad about surplus 85's (these seem to popup about twice a year) and was tempted at $399 . Not as a carry or defensive weapon, just as a "nice to take the range and plunk" gun. Great ergonomics, fun weapon to operate, beautiful design.

I agree. Been looking at these as well. Might get one this next week.

400px-Beretta_76_black_grip.jpg

1606488634446.png
What the HE..LL is that? It looks like a blued version of my old Beretta 70s, but on fricking steroids.

Crikie - it's a 22 and is actually for sale!!! Not an internet photoshop mashup. Wild.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top