JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Question: does anyone make a skeletonized stock for these? It would be neat-o to have an "SBR" that doesn't require a stamp and a lengthy wait on the federales.

Some Cap and ball revolvers can indeed take a shoulder stock...
Looking at yours...I do not see a stock cut out on the frame , nor the extra set of screws in the frame for the same...

That said...historically I have see both a sold wood stock and a wire "skeleton" stock on some cap and ball revolvers...some which were factory and some that were homemade.
Andy

I see a little cutout on the bottom. Would this be a mounting point or, if not, what is the purpose? Thanks.

divet.jpg

That is indeed a mount for a stock...good to have for your project...
I was talking of a cut out on the frame above the hammer screw...the screw nearest the grip frame...if that makes more sense
Andy

Those are cool stocks and fun to use...your point of impact will change...something to keep in mind...
Also resist the urge to grip the barrel when shooting with one...hot gas on the hand and forearm ...Yikes...!
Just use a "weaver grip"...
Andy

So, I was farting around Dixie Gunworks this evening, and noticed they have a number of different stocks for percussion revolvers here and elsewhere. Anyone know if one would be compatible with this revolver? Thanks!

Hi Gent!
I'm late to this thread, but LOL, I have two of those pistols!

Lemme just blabber a little... :D

I bought some fishing tackle from Cabelas when I was a teenager. Late 70's. This was back when you would tear the order sheet out of the catalog and check all the tiny boxes and pencil in quantities and add up the total and then add $5.99 shipping and handling. Then you would take your jar of change to the post office and buy the money order and the stamp, and then mail everything to Cabelas. Two weeks later, your stuff arrived. I was pretty bug-eyed. It was cool. I was buying cool stuff, and the prices were low!

For several years after such a purchase, Cabelas would mail you catalogs several times per year until your mother called them and told them to stop sending catalogs. The annual catalogs were huge brown books.

In the early 90's, I was looking through a catalog somewhere, and I saw that Cabela's had a large selection of muzzleloaders and accoutrements. I studied the catalog and my meager finances, and placed a credit card order by telephone for a no-name .45 Hawken rifle and a 1851 Confederate Navy Colt pistol, plus pyrodex, .440 and .451 round balls, 10 & 11 caps, patches, pads, brass flask/measures/spouts/starter, etc. The pistol was $69.

It all showed up a week later and I went to shootin.
The rifle was beautiful. Awesome stock. Usable sights. Wood ramrod. Nice detail. Great hair trigger. Shot straight!
IIRC, the rifle was less than $100.
Cabela's took a grinder to the barrel and erased the manufacturer name and stamped Cabela's in its place and wiped some cold blue on it. That was shocking to me, but what the heck, it was pretty, and it shot good.

The pistol was also beautiful. No grinding on it. Fun to shoot after I learned to not gob bore butter in the nipples. The book said to keep the powder charge down around 20 grains due to the brass frame, but I worked right up to a flask spout that metered 30gr (IIRC), and that's what I always used. Sounds good, feels good, shoots good.
The trigger was bad. Heavy and gritty. Being young and not knowing any better, I took a file to it and ruined it.
Cabela's didn't offer parts. I hunted around and discovered Numrich. They had parts for "Navy Colt"!
I paid them $10 bucks to ship me the piece I ruined. It dropped right in!
It was also unpleasant.
Being young, I took a stone to it and ended up with a "too good" trigger: 2 lbs with no travel.
Many years later, I discovered case hardening via bone and leather in a metal pipe in a woodstove, and I re-hardened the part it and it still works, but it's still "right there".

In the late 90's, Cabelas got a website. While Christmas shopping, I saw that the same pistol was still available, and was on sale for $79, so i bought my Dad a kit and had it shipped to him. He was blown away that a gun arrived in the mail. :D

About 15 years later, he gave it back to me.
So now I have two.

In 30 years, I've put about 500 shots through the first gun, and the "Dad" gun has about 200 through it.
Using pyrodex P, cabela's lubed felt pads, hornady round balls, and CCI caps, both of them will put all shots in a paper plate at 50 yards.
The rear sight is a notch in the cocked hammer.
No sign of brass fatigue or warping yet.
Great fun!

The rifle is also very accurate with pyrodex and a prelubed patch. I can't remember if I used a .010 or .015 patch.
I hunted deer with it in Louisiana and Wyoming (when I lived in those states). I killed one deer in each state, using Hornady round balls.
That was 15 or 20 years ago. Nowadays if I hunt with a ML, I use a conical of some kind.

I know pyrodex is a sin to some folks, but it's what I started with, and I never bothered to switch to BP.
Other than a couple of CVA inlines, these are the only ML's I own. :rolleyes:

IIRC, neither of the pistols came in a box with stars and bars. I think the boxes were "frontier motif".
I still have the user manuals somewhere. I may even have the boxes.

Well.

I guess I felt like typing. :D

Let us know how it shoots!

PS - it looks like they still sell the same gun:
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/pietta-1851-confederate-navy-black-powder-revolver

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top