JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was trying on holsters today at good guys and twice I heard him call in bg checks. Both times he said no social so it got me thinking, what's the benefit? The only reason I could think of was not having your social floating around on paperwork but I'm guessing its more than that, so what am I missing?

Sometimes someone with the same last name has warants etc It will delay sale unless you provide social had this happen to me once and they had to verify I wasnt the gentlemen with warants

Your social security number is one of the most important components identity thieves use to open credit in your name. You should guard it like your life depends on it and never give it out unless absolutely necessary. Other than financial institutions, credit card companies, and the and the IRS, no one should have access to it. Unfortunately, the State of Oregon has tied it to checks for unpaid child support etc. so many Oregon agencies require it. I have had many intense discussions with doctors, dentists, insurance companies, utilities, cell phone companies and many others over my SSN. They don't get it but tell you they need it... even have a right to it. They don't. Most businesses are getting in line as the epidemic of identity theft has become common knowledge.

Lots of people want your soc #. Just because it is on a form does not mean you have to supply it.

One of the worse places to give it is medical offices. NOt because the doctor may not try to take care of the PI. BUt because they are required to send copy of your records to lots of groups - There is no guarantee they will keep it private.
I always put in - "Not Required by Fedreal LAw" MOst people do not push it.

The last one that was insistent I asked him to sign a form saying they are wholly responsible for any identity theft that results from me providing that information - considering he shares that information with other people and insurance companies.. He decided it was not worth it.

I don't have that luxury unfortunately. There's a guy with my same name and born 1 year before me who's obviously done some crazy stuff in his life! I've been asked several times by the dmv to verify I'm not him ha!

I became an ffl in 2006 & I always have preferred that my customers don't fill in the ss# box. Several times when a customer was delayed, I asked the nics people if having the ss# would help clear the delay. The answer given was always Yes, however, with thousands of guns sold I have never seen that providing a ss# actually speeds along or un-does a delay. I would never put my SS# on any document if I can help it. Actually, if a person is having delay problems the easiest way I know to fix that is to do an appeal file form, or get your ccw permit.

:huh: Why would I give out my SSN to anyone? It says right on the front of my card "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION" :s0112:

Yeah, no one uses it for identification.:s0112: It seems like govt. is mixed with some places like the OR DMV really starting to use it for ID purposes while others like colleges stopped issuing student numbers identical to a SSN.

Originally Posted by NuthinFancy
Why would I give out my SSN to anyone? It says right on the front of my card "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION"

Yeah, no one uses it for identification.:s0112: It seems like govt. is mixed with some places like the OR DMV really starting to use it for ID purposes while others like colleges stopped issuing student numbers identical to a SSN.

Haven't got your Medicare card yet I assume??? :D

The reason a medical office asks for your SS# is they are extending you credit, unless you pay at the time of service. If they extend credit by providing you a service and you do not pay the account will be sent to collections. Collection companies require the SS# as it is part of the credit check that is run. Sorry to say at my office if you don't want to provide the SS# then plan to pay at the time of service. Thats just the reality of getting a service and asking me to try and collect later. Yes we bill the insurance but many have not met deductibles and too many decide to not pay the bill in the end.

The reason a medical office asks for your SS# is they are extending you credit, unless you pay at the time of service. If they extend credit by providing you a service and you do not pay the account will be sent to collections. Collection companies require the SS# as it is part of the credit check that is run. Sorry to say at my office if you don't want to provide the SS# then plan to pay at the time of service. Thats just the reality of getting a service and asking me to try and collect later. Yes we bill the insurance but many have not met deductibles and too many decide to not pay the bill in the end.

+1

I have witnessed the above in a medical office because the person, a new patient did not have their Medicare or SS card with them and were rescheduled. I am fortunate as my immediate family are health care professionals.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top