Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

benefit to leaving your social out of the background check?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by cotillion, Sep 13, 2011.

1. cotillion

cotillion medford Active Member

I was trying on holsters today at good guys and twice I heard him call in bg checks. Both times he said no social so it got me thinking, what's the benefit? The only reason I could think of was not having your social floating around on paperwork but I'm guessing its more than that, so what am I missing?

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I never supply my social.

3. Bark

Bark Oregon Member

I never give my ss# when buying a gun as anyone can overhear the guy calling your info in...name, address, ss# = bad things

4. oa98pistol512

oa98pistol512 salem area Member

Sometimes someone with the same last name has warants etc It will delay sale unless you provide social had this happen to me once and they had to verify I wasnt the gentlemen with warants

5. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

Your social security number is one of the most important components identity thieves use to open credit in your name. You should guard it like your life depends on it and never give it out unless absolutely necessary. Other than financial institutions, credit card companies, and the and the IRS, no one should have access to it. Unfortunately, the State of Oregon has tied it to checks for unpaid child support etc. so many Oregon agencies require it. I have had many intense discussions with doctors, dentists, insurance companies, utilities, cell phone companies and many others over my SSN. They don't get it but tell you they need it... even have a right to it. They don't. Most businesses are getting in line as the epidemic of identity theft has become common knowledge.

6. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

Lots of people want your soc #. Just because it is on a form does not mean you have to supply it.

One of the worse places to give it is medical offices. NOt because the doctor may not try to take care of the PI. BUt because they are required to send copy of your records to lots of groups - There is no guarantee they will keep it private.
    I always put in - "Not Required by Fedreal LAw" MOst people do not push it.

The last one that was insistent I asked him to sign a form saying they are wholly responsible for any identity theft that results from me providing that information - considering he shares that information with other people and insurance companies.. He decided it was not worth it.

7. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I don't give mine either.

8. cotillion

cotillion medford Active Member

I don't have that luxury unfortunately. There's a guy with my same name and born 1 year before me who's obviously done some crazy stuff in his life! I've been asked several times by the dmv to verify I'm not him ha!

9. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

This is the reason they as for your SS#, it's just another way to ID you as not a bad guy.

10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I became an ffl in 2006 & I always have preferred that my customers don't fill in the ss# box. Several times when a customer was delayed, I asked the nics people if having the ss# would help clear the delay. The answer given was always Yes, however, with thousands of guns sold I have never seen that providing a ss# actually speeds along or un-does a delay. I would never put my SS# on any document if I can help it. Actually, if a person is having delay problems the easiest way I know to fix that is to do an appeal file form, or get your ccw permit.

11. NuthinFancy

NuthinFancy Seattle Area Active Member

:huh: Why would I give out my SSN to anyone? It says right on the front of my card "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION" :bluelaugh:

12. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Yeah, no one uses it for identification.:bluelaugh: It seems like govt. is mixed with some places like the OR DMV really starting to use it for ID purposes while others like colleges stopped issuing student numbers identical to a SSN.

13. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

When it's not required, NEVER.

14. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

+1

15. wjv

wjv SW Washington State Active Member

I get delayed EVERY FLIPPING time, regardless if I provide the SS or not. . .

16. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

Originally Posted by NuthinFancy
    Why would I give out my SSN to anyone? It says right on the front of my card "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION"

Haven't got your Medicare card yet I assume??? :D

17. hammertime

hammertime Oregon Member

The reason a medical office asks for your SS# is they are extending you credit, unless you pay at the time of service. If they extend credit by providing you a service and you do not pay the account will be sent to collections. Collection companies require the SS# as it is part of the credit check that is run. Sorry to say at my office if you don't want to provide the SS# then plan to pay at the time of service. Thats just the reality of getting a service and asking me to try and collect later. Yes we bill the insurance but many have not met deductibles and too many decide to not pay the bill in the end.

18. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

I didn't even know that not giving it out was an option. I learned something new today. Thanks!

19. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

+1

I have witnessed the above in a medical office because the person, a new patient did not have their Medicare or SS card with them and were rescheduled. I am fortunate as my immediate family are health care professionals.

hammertime and (deleted member) like this.
  20. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Portland, Oregon Member

It says right on the form that it's optional. Every time a customer asks, I tell them that it's up to them. Providing it can help prevent any mixups with felons but it is not mandatory.