JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

At least 3 dead in shooting at Safeway in Oregon, police say

The suspected shooter is among the dead, police said.
ByHeather Roberts and Morgan Winsor
August 28, 2022, 10:34 PM

MORE on the link.

Three people are dead after a shooting Sunday night at the east Bend Safeway, according to police.

Bend Police Department spokesperson Sheila Miller said the incident began around 7 p.m. near the Big Lots store next door before a person shot and killed an individual in the entryway to Safeway.

She said the shooter was using an AR-15-style rifle and had additional weapons as well.

The shooter then killed another person at the rear of the grocery store, and is now dead, Miller said. At a 10:30 p.m. press conference, Bend Police Chief Mike Krantz did not identify the alleged shooter by name but said he was a man.

MORE on the link.

This story is hitting the national news now.

Cate

This (Bend.) is about 31 miles or so according to a map to LaPine, Oregon. I looked it up. I do not know if the map online is accurate or not.

I hope that RV Tech and other people out his way were not in Bend tonight.

Cate

Last Edited:

Another LINK. More on the link.

Some of these grocery store shootings sound like other murders/injuries across this nation in other states.

Take care.

Cate

AR-15 'style' rifle - sure - it has to fit the narrative. I have a lot of friends and ex-employees in Bend who carry. Too bad they couldn't have happened to be shopping there.

I am going to guess that the East Bend shopping center is one of those strip malls with "no weapons allowed on property" signs on stores like Big Lots and Safeway...
I do not know.

This shooter/murderer GROCERY STORE and/or OTHER store shooting sounds like OTHER ones in other states recently and in the PAST.

I wonder about it all and DID he or did he not write some manifesto crapola ONLINE?

Condolences to the dead victims families and friends.

It is a shame that these evil, sicko and criminal people don't just KILL themselves if they want to do it badly enough and do NOT hurt/wound/murder INNOCENT people!

Cate

I conceal carry everyday, and I am glad that I have never been in an encounter like this. This gunman stepped into that store knowing that he would not be walking out alive, how would my desire to stay alive whilst concealing a small pistol compete against that kind of mindset? It doesn't stack up against it, that is for sure. My goal at the end of each day is not to be a hero, it is to get back home alive and free from harm. There are so many things that could go wrong by confronting a gunman. You could easily die since the gunman's rifle is a better tool for killing than your concealed pistol. The gunman could be wearing body armor and, since most of us don't walk around with body armor, could easily take shots to the body without getting hurt. You could miss your target and hit somebody else. You could be misidentified as the aggressor and be subsequently shot by another bystander or police. The list goes on and on.

You can easily "What if " yourself to death here.
You also cannot "compete" with another person's mindset....
Since you cannot control them or their way of thinking..

So don't even try...
The Infantry has a rule...well they got a lot of rules...but this one applies...
Shoot , Move and Communicate...
As in if you are in a firefight...you are either shooting , moving or communicating...
Same here...'cause if you over think or do nothing...then you will probably die.

Use what you have to your best advantage.
Remember that a flank is easier to attack or get around.
Just because all you are armed with is _____fill in the blank here with whatever...and the shooter is armed with a rifle or anything else...is no reason to roll over and wait to die.
Just 'cause you are armed...Also ain't enough reason to actually use what you are armed with...self defense is a many layered process.
Do what you need to do in order to survive.

Second guessing yourself , does not change the outcome of what happened.
It can lead to self doubt and more problems for you later down the road.
This is not to say that one should not "think twice" , plan ahead , or learn from one's experiences.

I am just saying to not let the situation control you...do what it takes for you to control yourself in such cases.
Andy

Last Edited:
I conceal carry everyday, and I am glad that I have never been in an encounter like this. This gunman stepped into that store knowing that he would not be walking out alive, how would my desire to stay alive whilst concealing a small pistol compete against that kind of mindset? It doesn't stack up against it, that is for sure. My goal at the end of each day is not to be a hero, it is to get back home alive and free from harm. There are so many things that could go wrong by confronting a gunman. You could easily die since the gunman's rifle is a better tool for killing than your concealed pistol. The gunman could be wearing body armor and, since most of us don't walk around with body armor, could easily take shots to the body without getting hurt. You could miss your target and hit somebody else. You could be misidentified as the aggressor and be subsequently shot by another bystander or police. The list goes on and on.
My suggestion is to practice so you can reliably make the shot you need to when under duress such as an active shooter situation. Getting support, cover, concealment can also be important and can be practiced. Look at the guy at Indiana mall who recently took down a rifle-wielding active shooter with his 10 round pistol, he used support to make long range accurate shots.

One way to gain confidence for something like an active shooter situation is define a standard for you and practice at the range to consistently shoot to that standard (ideally under duress if possible). For example head shots at 25 yards in X seconds from the draw might be a good standard (but everyone is different).

If you expect your adversary to wear body armor you can be prepared for it. So practice shooting center mass, crotch, head and ideally imagine doing it as if it were a real threat there. And most importantly don't practice just relaxed slow fire (an active shooter situation will not be relaxed slow fire). Practice like your life depended on it, because it just might. Imo too many people practice relaxed slow fire at the range and think they are competent. In the real world situation it is not going to be relaxed slow fire. Calmly repeating what you've trained to do is way different than what most people do which is fire to make themselves feel better/fear response, often dumping a tons of rounds in effectively.

One standard I heard Clint Smith mention in a YouTube video he cited a 1970's standard of shots in a 10" circle at 25 yards in 2.5 seconds from the draw. He said if you can get that then it's reasonable to expect reliable headshots in 4-5 seconds at the same distance.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads