JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, just speculating here, but imagine this scenario. Say I put a gun on layaway today and start the bgc. If the check goes thru in time then I simply complete the purchase. If the bgc does not come thru in time then I'm not stuck having paid in full but cannot take possession. Worst case maybe I'm out whatever amount I had to put down for the layaway and perhaps, given the circumstances, they might be kind enough to waive that anyway. So the benefit may be that you can at least attempt a purchase without the risk of being out the purchase price with nothing to show for it.

If the bgc does not come thru in time then
OR -. if I am interpreting this correctly THEN they MAY hold the gun for you (on lay a way) until you complete the BS requirements then complete the sale.

Or they may not due to logistical issues (storage being one of them) but if this may not be a problem if they do not have any (or not many) new guns coming in for stock. A bunch of lay a ways could be an administrative nightmare as well. Who knows.

Yeah this layaway idea sounds to me like the store would rather give you back less money when you walk because you didnt the BGC cleared by the 8th.

You guys watch, every BGC not cleared by the 8th will be the first bragging point for 114 supporters, "we stopped 10,000 illegal gun transfers" 🤬🤬

Yes, another 114 thread.

I just got back from Sportsman's this morning and they had a little work around for those that purchase a gun now, but won't have their BGC go through by 12/08.

They're selling the guns on a layaway system. Because the sale date is time stamped pre-12/08, the purchase was completed prior to 114 going into effect, thereby enabling you to take your gun home if the BGC is conducted post 114.

I'm not sure of other Sportsman's are following suite, or if this method will get a pass from our dear friends at OSP, but I like how they've found, and are implementing a small loophole.
Be careful on this. When they explained it to me while I was waiting there at the Bend Sportsman's Warehouse today they plan on putting a huge number of firearms on layaway (Black Friday at Black Friday prices) if the customer pays the price of the gun minus 1 cent. Then when you get your purchase permit you can come in and pay the one cent and collect your firearm for the sale / pre-permit price instead of paying the new retail price when purchase permits are available.

I honestly think it is a bunch of guys thinking of ways to stay employed after December 8th. Although they are hoping to keep their jobs it really didn't sound to practical to me.

Who were the 'they' who informed you of this? Someone behind the counter? Management?

Like the rest I don't see this as a 'work around' or changing anything.
The guys behind the counter who aren't going to have a job come December 8th were the ones talking it up when I was there today. They pretty much skipped over the whole after you get a purchase permit part until I asked. They did mention the store who sells the most guns gets a bonus part. One of the sales guys was saying the Bend store is currently 4th in the state for sales. At the pace they were processing today their chances at the bonus didn't look too promising to me.

It was almost like they were working within the Sportsman's Warehouse system to sell guns to win the bonus at the expense of the customers... at least that was the impression I got.

Last Edited:
The guys behind the counter who aren't going to have a job come December 8th were the ones talking it up when I was there today. They pretty much skipped over the whole after you get a purchase permit part until I asked. They did mention the store who sells the most guns gets a bonus part. One of the sales guys was saying the Bend store is currently 4th in the state for sales. At the pace they were processing today their chances at the bonus didn't look too promising to me.

It was almost like they were working within the Sportsman's Warehouse system to sell guns to win the bonus at the expense of the customers... at least that was the impression I got.
Interesting.

Another thought. Perhaps they have heard the same news we have and have gone "all-in" on sales hoping that the river card is a court injunction next week when this goes before a judge. ???

Either way, it seems like a recipe for a train wreck.

-E-

OSP might still do the BGCs, but 114 prohibits FFLs from transferring the firearm without the extra special permit. So it'd be up to each FFL, in theory
I believe that the FFL is only required to see the permit to purchase when the form 4473 is filled out. If the form was filled out prior to Dec 8th and OSP continues to process those background checks after Dec 8th I would think the FFL could release the firearms with approval after Dec 8th.

I believe that the FFL is only required to see the permit to purchase when the form 4473 is filled out. If the form was filled out prior to Dec 8th and OSP continues to process those background checks after Dec 8th I would think the FFL could release the firearms with approval after Dec 8th.
That's a good take. Though the operative phrase might be, "could release" the firearms. I think some FFLs may in their discretion decide not to

That's a good take. Though the operative phrase might be, "could release" the firearms. I think some FFLs may in their discretion decide not to
My question would be, once the permit to purchase program is fully implemented will they be asking to see the permit when you go into to fill out the form 4473 and again when you go into pick it up the firearm?

You do know that there is a 3 day law as long as your not denied on your BGC after 3 days provided the gun store will accept the 3 day law you can get your gun without the completed BGC

So a buyer has to give the permit to the FFL, and after that the FFL must then by phone or computer "verify" they have a valid permit. Then the FFL requests (another) BGC:

"(a) The purchaser shall present to the gun dealer current identification meeting the requirements of subsection (4) of this section and a valid permit issued under section 4 of this 2022 Act.
(b) The gun dealer shall complete the firearms transaction record and obtain the signature of the purchaser on the record.
(c) The gun dealer shall obtain the thumbprints of the purchaser on the firearms transaction thumbprint form and attach the form to the gun dealer's copy of the firearms transaction record to be filed with that copy.
(d) The gun dealer shall, [request] by telephone or computer, verify that the purchaser has a valid permit-to-purchase a firearm issued under section 4 of this 2022 Act and request that the department conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser and shall provide the following information to the department:"

Suspect that the way it will work is that the OSP will not approve any
background checks after 12/7 without evidence of the purchase
permit. Layaway or paid in full before 12/7 won't make any difference,
you are screwed. Hoping that at a minimum we get an injunction that
says "sales will continue under the old system until the permit system is
operational in all 36 counties".
I believe you are right about this. Sportsman's "solution" might be a good one, to help sell more firearms up to the deadline but it's not going to help customers get their firearms without a permit.

The lay-a-way is a good option for those who are planning on getting a permit and like to shop.

OSP might still do the BGCs, but 114 prohibits FFLs from transferring the firearm without the extra special permit. So it'd be up to each FFL, in theory
It's highly unlikely OSP will continue processing background checks.

FICS transactions that are not completed with an approval number by midnight on December 7, 2022, will require the purchaser to initiate their permit application to obtain a Permit-to-Purchase before their FICS transaction can resume.

It's highly unlikely OSP will continue processing background checks.

FICS transactions that are not completed with an approval number by midnight on December 7, 2022, will require the purchaser to initiate their permit application to obtain a Permit-to-Purchase before their FICS transaction can resume.
Sounds to me like OSP needs to be named in those lawsuits then.

I want every a-hole involved in this to feel the pinch. Especially that POS who runs LEVO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top